Camp Poutine 2022: Canada vs. Guatemala Friendly in Miami - Jan 22 ahead of the next World Cup Qualifying window.

Cblake

19 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Any idea on when a camp roster might be dropped? 

Edit: wrong thread, meant to ask about U20 camp

The U20 camp is also supposed to start on the 9th. Guessing they will drop it at the same time. Based on past roster drops it should be on Friday or Sunday.

Edited by Xavier.

So, and pardon my uncertainty, there will be a mixed U-20 + out of season CMNT + some other dual-national possibilities + some other newcomers to this camp? This makes sense to me. Is that the intent of the CSA?

What I hope will not occur is "filler" players being included just to make up numbers. Rather, every player called should be part of a plan or vision for the overall national program at the various levels.

5 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

So, and pardon my uncertainty, there will be a mixed U-20 + out of season CMNT + some other dual-national possibilities + some other newcomers to this camp? This makes sense to me. Is that the intent of the CSA?

What I hope will not occur is "filler" players being included just to make up numbers. Rather, every player called should be part of a plan or vision for the overall national program at the various levels.

Sounds likes it will be a senior camp and a U20 camp.

For the most part I don't think there are any U20 guys who are first team material yet. Someone like Flores would be with the first team only because we want him to join the program.

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Sounds likes it will be a senior camp and a U20 camp.

Thanks.

Well, many of the senior players will not be available due to league play in Europe so there will need to be others. Halbouni, for example, has been mentioned as an attendee to be and he is neither a senior nor a U-20 player. There must be some other players who have been invited, taking into account my previous comments.

Seems like it's currently two separate camps, but I could forsee COVID impacting it and drastically reducing the player pool where they just end up combining them into one group. Say they were to invite 25 for each group and then 10 in each can't make it, they could combine the two into a group of 30 as opposed to two separate 15s.

Edited by rydermike

39 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Seems like it's currently two separate camps, but I could forsee COVID impacting it and drastically reducing the player pool where they just end up combining them into one group. Say they were to invite 25 for each group and then 10 in each can't make it, they could combine the two into a group of 30 as opposed to two separate 15s.

I suppose the nice thing about Florida in this case is that there are no rules.

Would be a shame if they pulled the plug on it.

Suddenly the USA getting together in December seems like a stroke of genius.

Some criticized it at the time for being a pointless camp, but if you ask me I would rather have a December camp 6 weeks out from the next window than not have a camp at all. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would be a shame if they pulled the plug on it.

Suddenly the USA getting together in December seems like a stroke of genius.

Some criticized it at the time for being a pointless camp, but if you ask me I would rather have a December camp 6 weeks out from the next window than not have a camp at all. 

Come on Obinna..how the hell were they supposed to know it would play out like this?  I suppose in Covid anything is possible, but that goes both ways.  

Just now, EJsens1 said:

Come on Obinna..how the hell were they supposed to know it would play out like this?  I suppose in Covid anything is possible, but that goes both ways.  

Oh yeah for sure. Not suggesting the Americans had some special insight. They may just get lucky relative to the other teams who didn't play in December. 

This wasn't a criticism of the CSA not playing in December or anything, by the way. 

How was it smart of the US when part of our rationale is to take advantage of the winter break in many leagues, and off season in other cases? As well as using the u-20s to help prep the out of season players to ready for the WCQ window?

The US camp did absolutely none of that. 

By the way, their 2020 December camp was so effective that Ayo went, scored and promptly, on his way out their door, committed to Canada. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How was it smart of the US when part of our rationale is to take advantage of the winter break in many leagues, and off season in other cases? As well as using the u-20s to help prep the out of season players to ready for the WCQ window?

The US camp did absolutely none of that. 

By the way, their 2020 December camp was so effective that Ayo went, scored and promptly, on his way out their door, committed to Canada. 

The US would have had a camp regardless of the COVID situation. So it won't be necessarily be "smart", just "good one them", if everything gets canned for January.

I should have really stressed the seem when I said "stroke of genius".

13 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I wonder if they can at least get the MLS players currently in Canada together to do some training and get some reps in

A game against Forge or York 9?

Ill be closely watching the news of other teams camps.

47 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

What’s really bad about this is that Canada will for sure lose some European players for the window and we needed these MLS players in form.

I would not be surprised at all if a lot of players out of Europe for both Canada, the US and beyond are not available for this upcoming window because of covid and the potential of isolation etc, travel will be an issue. It is unfortunate but a reality of the times we face. 

12 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I would not be surprised at all if a lot of players out of Europe for both Canada, the US and beyond are not available for this upcoming window because of covid and the potential of isolation etc, travel will be an issue. It is unfortunate but a reality of the times we face. 

I think it will be interesting to see if guys get Covid during camp, between games possibly, quarantine and still play a game or 2.