Camp Poutine 2022: Canada vs. Guatemala Friendly in Miami - Jan 22 ahead of the next World Cup Qualifying window.

Cblake

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Flores has to be called to this camp now, I worry that Mexico will attempt to cap him in  January.

No doubt.

The thing is, like someone mentioned “it won’t be the real experience” as he won’t be with “stars”. So his perception maybe skewed if he’s showing up playing with Shaffelburg expecting to see Davies.

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

No doubt.

The thing is, like someone mentioned “it won’t be the real experience” as he won’t be with “stars”. So his perception maybe skewed if he’s showing up playing with Shaffelburg expecting to see Davies.

It'll be the same experience with Mexico. He's not going to be playing alongside Lozano and Jimenez, but rather a mostly LigaMX side.

8 minutes ago, RS said:

It'll be the same experience with Mexico. He's not going to be playing alongside Lozano and Jimenez, but rather a mostly LigaMX side.

Correct, but he’s already in Mexicos system. Chances are he’s playing with guys who he already has played with.

41 minutes ago, Shway said:

No doubt.

Those players will be joining the camp so he'll get a chance to train with them presumably.

Based off everything he and his Dad have said I have confidence that he wouldn't accept a cynical tie from any team in January. We most likely see him try El Tri out, try us out, and take his time. Earliest I could see him being cap tied by any team is March, and even that's a stretch to me. Maybe Nations League, but it seems like him and his family are, correctly, taking this slow. If he accepts a call for this cycle its because one of the coaches has promised him a spot in Qatar. And unless he manages to crack Arsenal's first team or maybe take a loan to the Championship and light it up, I have a hard time seeing him earning a spot in Qatar for either country

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

I know what you mean. 

We're going to need to dip into our pool, just to have sufficient camp numbers, but I don't think we're going to reach deep enough to call those players. 

MLS Core players: Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Laryea, Cavallini, Crepeau, Johnston, Miller

MLS Quasi-core players: Brault-Guillard, Fraser, Schaffleburg, Pantemis, Akinola

That's 13...

Then as @Shwayeludes to, you have a handful of the off season European players who may be called: Borjan, Ennin, possibly a Corbeanu, who knows.

Finally, you have the dual nationals. Could get some or none of these, but Jebbison, Flores, Dias, and Mitrovic are some of the possibilities. 

That could very well bring us up to 20 

After this, you then supplement with the most "ready" domestic guys left over. Gutierrez, Priso, Bassong, Waterman, Choniere are at top of the list for me.

After that, you then get into the guys like Nelson, Okello, Bair, etc. I just don't think we'll get THAT far down the quality trail...

Maybe we will get a few seasoned players in specifically for training, such as Chapman and Akindele, hell maybe even Teibert. Edwards is still only 26 as well, not that I am necessarily advocating for him or any of those others...

Corbeanu will be playing club games still. I doubt Canada can expect him to miss a club game for a friendly. Especially since he'll miss a club game if called for the actual qualifiers. 

19 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The origin story:

The #USMNT fans started calling their January / early February Camp for (mostly) MLS guys Camp Cupcake.

Cupcake in the pejorative sense; this is because this is the "easy" camp because the big guns are stuck playing in Europe.

They still call it that:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/camp-cupcake-jan-2022.2117979/

In 2014 poster @Yohan (what is his current forum name or real name?) said, why not name our January camp for (mostly) MLS and unattached players after a food as well? Poutine to make it Canadian.

So it was a hardcore fan "inside joke"/"rip-off" of the US name.

Edit: @Obinna beat me to the answer but I've added a few more details.

Edit 2: The mods merged the threads the other way so @Cblake you've got to edit the Camp Poutine back into the beginning of the title!  :D

Does this make me some kind of Vs legend? 😁

Also, I live in Europe. I don't get poutine. My life has become sad lol

Edited by Yohan

Here's my early stab at the next roster, based on what I know of player availability. 

To make it simple, I took the last selection and replaced the unavailable European players:

GK - Pantemis

GK - Crepeau

GK - Borjan

D - Johnston

D - Miller

D- Henry

D - Laryea

D-Guiterrez (Adekugbe)

D-James (Vitoria)

D- Bassong (Cornelius)

M - Paton (Eustaquio)

M - Piette

M - Osorio

M - Kaye

M - Arfield (Wotherspoon)

M - Fraser (Hutchinson)

FW - Cavallini

FW - Schaffleburg (Davies)

FW - Flores (Buchanan)

FW - Akinola (Ugbo)

FW - Jebbison (Larin)

FW - Mitrovic (David)

FW - Dias (Millar)

I would be surprised if it actually played out this way, since we may not get all these duals to show up (Jebbison, Mitrovic), players may not be fit (Akinola), or simply may have club commitments (Dias, Flores).

We may also get surprises, such as Teibert or Akindele returning, or possibly Brault-Guillard is recovered from his knock. Waterman is one I want to see, but I went with James since he'd be closer to game shape due to the timing.

In this scenario, I imagine the Euro guys in parenthesis come in after the Guatemala friendly and ultimately replace the placeholders, many of which would need to file a one-time switch anyways. Before departing camp, you keep them around to train with the incoming first teamers, helping them prep for the Honduras game.

The larger group (of 35) would allow for proper scrimmages and the duals on the fence get to meet Davies, David and others, giving them a taste of what the top group looks like. 

Wotherspoon by the way is struck through, just because he won't be recovered in time by the sounds of it. 

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Here's my early stab at the next roster, based on what I know of player availability. 

To make it simple, I took the last selection and replaced the unavailable European players:

GK - Pantemis

GK - Crepeau

GK - Borjan

D - Johnston

D - Miller

D- Henry

D - Laryea

D-Guiterrez (Adekugbe)

D-James (Vitoria)

D- Bassong (Cornelius)

M - Paton (Eustaquio)

M - Piette

M - Osorio

M - Kaye

M - Fraser (Hutchinson)

FW - Cavallini

FW - Flores (Buchanan)

FW - Akinola (Ugbo)

FW - Jebbison (Larin)

FW - Mitrovic (David)

FW - Dias (Millar)

I would be surprised if it actually played out this way, since we may not get all these duals to show up (Jebbison, Mitrovic), players may not be fit (Akinola), or simply may have club commitments (Dias, Flores).

We may also get surprises, such as Teibert or Akindele returning, or possibly Brault-Guillard is recovered from his knock. Waterman is one I want to see, but I went with James since he'd be closer to game shape due to the timing.

In this scenario, I imagine the Euro guys in parenthesis come in after the Guatemala friendly and ultimately replace the placeholders, many of which would need to file a one-time switch anyways. Before departing camp, you keep them around to train with the incoming first teamers, helping them prep for the Honduras game.

The larger group (of 35) would allow for proper scrimmages and the duals on the fence get to meet Davies, David and others, giving them a taste of what the top group looks like. 

Wotherspoon by the way is struck through, just because he won't be recovered in time by the sounds of it. 

Thoughts?

Akinola will be less than 6 months out from a surgically repaired ACL. He will be lucky if he’s back playing by Easter. You can pretty safely cross him out.

Edited by footballfreak

1 minute ago, footballfreak said:

Akinola will only be less than 6 months out from a surgically repaired ACL. He will be lucky if he’s back playing by Easter. You can pretty safely cross him out.

Might be a chance for someone like Bair in that case, or possibly a Terrance Campbell if you're so inclined. Easton Ongaro may be a good shout as well, or maybe it's Akindele if Akinola can't go (which sounds likely - thanks for the timeline reminder). 

On 11/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, Obinna said:

A non-committal friendly would be massive for the recruitment push. Beats simply training and then flying home, I imagine. 

I tend to prefer us having official friendlies, but in this case we are better off keeping it unofficial. 

I reverse course on this comment.

Having thought about it some more, this friendly needs to be prep for Honduras. That's the priority.

Having Flores and/or Jebbison lighting it up against Guatemala may be a nice look at what could be, but if there is a zero chance of them getting on the plane to Honduras, does it really serve our prep to have them out there?

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I reverse course on this comment.

Having thought about it some more, this friendly needs to be prep for Honduras. That's the priority.

Having Flores and/or Jebbison lighting it up against Guatemala may be a nice look at what could be, but if there is a zero chance of them getting on the plane to Honduras, does it really serve our prep to have them out there?

But with the players we will be missing  there will have to be reinforcements that won’t be a part of the Honduras game.  So if some young prospects were willing to come, why not try them out.  As your previous post notes, during the friendly we will be without Larin, Davies, David, Ugbo, Millar and Buchanan.  There is no way we can have a front line that preps us for the WCQ games to come. For me, it has to be an opportunity to work (and assess) the out of season MLS guys and maybe get a look at a few new or fringe guys.  

Forgot to mention in my last post that any possibility of a Jebbison call-up probably would not include Camp Poutine. Neither Burton nor Sheffield United would consent to him missing more League One football than they’re required to release him for. Even a week could mean 3 games missed. It’s full roster or nothing for him in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

GK - Pantemis

GK - Crepeau

GK - Borjan

D - Johnston

D - Miller

D- Henry

D - Laryea

D-Guiterrez (Adekugbe)

D-James (Vitoria)

D- Bassong (Cornelius)

M - Paton (Eustaquio)

M - Piette

M - Osorio

M - Kaye

M - Fraser (Hutchinson)

FW - Cavallini

FW - Flores (Buchanan)

FW - Akinola (Ugbo)

FW - Jebbison (Larin)

FW - Mitrovic (David)

FW - Dias (Millar)

Thoughts?

Prior to the weekend of Jan 22-23 the majority of those in camp will be North American based, no one in Europe are getting released unless they are in the youth setup (can not think of anyone right now in that scenario) or on winter break like Borjan. The big boys will start coming in that weekend. 

8 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Prior to the weekend of Jan 22-23 the majority of those in camp will be North American based, no one in Europe are getting released unless they are in the youth setup (can not think of anyone right now in that scenario) or on winter break like Borjan. The big boys will start coming in that weekend. 

Dias and Flores are the obvious ones. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

But with the players we will be missing  there will have to be reinforcements that won’t be a part of the Honduras game.  So if some young prospects were willing to come, why not try them out.  As your previous post notes, during the friendly we will be without Larin, Davies, David, Ugbo, Millar and Buchanan.  There is no way we can have a front line that preps us for the WCQ games to come. For me, it has to be an opportunity to work (and assess) the out of season MLS guys and maybe get a look at a few new or fringe guys.  

Yeah I know what you mean.

Here's how I was looking at it the second go around: Either way, the top attackers won't see time against Guatemala, so you can either play uncommitted duel nationals like Flores, Jebbison, and Dias, see what they can do and give them a taste of the CanMNT, knowing they may never suit up for us, but getting insight into what they could possibly offer if they do.

Or

You can play guys who are committed, but are on the fringes, such as Schaffleburg and Akindele, maybe even a Bair or a Nelson if we dip that far into the pool (not sure we do, as I said before). Those guys aren't likely to play in the next round of qualifiers, but you never know when you may need them.

Ultimately, if we play an unofficial friendly, we can do both, but obviously we can't play Jebbision in an official friendly. 

I am of two minds on this, as you can see. As a fan I want to see the new guys play in a friendly, and I think it would help them feel part of the program. I just wonder how much it distracts from the prep, if at all.

Could just be overthinking this one however....we should be able to check out the prospects and prep at the same time, right? Doesn't have to be all or nothing...