Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

31 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So you are saying he is ahead of Pulisic or Weah? If so, he would  start for us. 

For some reason I thought pulisic would play more in the 10, especially since Gio Reyna is never fit. But yeah good point, haha I definitely forgot about Weah. 

i would still say Luca is better than their next set of wingers though (Wright, Paredes, Tillman etc.)

3 hours ago, frattinator said:

For some reason I thought pulisic would play more in the 10, especially since Gio Reyna is never fit. But yeah good point, haha I definitely forgot about Weah. 

i would still say Luca is better than their next set of wingers though (Wright, Paredes, Tillman etc.)

If the USA have a team of fully fit players, pulisic and Weah start out wide. Reyna Tillman and musah have played there before. 

aaronson, wright, cowell, paredes offer coverage. 

there’s a lot of depth there. Excluding potential, he’s probably the 3rd best proper winger and 5th best player if you move musah and Reyna out wide. Strong arguments he could become a starter one day but he could walk into our 11 much easier than the usa’s.  I think he starts over Millar or shaf. 

17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"Causa indisponibilità l'attaccante del Burnley Luca Koleosho non potrà rispondere alla convocazione"

https://figc.it/it/nazionali/news/il-cammino-nelle-qualificazioni-alleuropeo-riparte-dalle-sfide-contro-san-marino-e-norvegia-savona-la-novità-tra-i-convocati-di-nunziata/

They simply listed him as unavailable. Vague.

You guys know the story of Emperor Constantine. Before a battle he saw what he thought was a cross in the sky, won the battle and converted to Christianity. Well something similar happened to Luca. He was dribbling past a defender when he heard Marsch's voice calling out to him and then a gush of wind floated a pile of maple leaves over him.

I know the Constantine story is apocryphal so don't bother trying to discredit my delusion.. 

40 minutes ago, costarg said:

Nice, but what the hell were the D and keeper doing there?  Talk about zero resistance.

The video above doesnt show the full play.  But it looks to come off a corner kick and a Leeds defender completely blows a tire chasing a ball that’s been cleared from the set piece.  The slip allows Koleosho (who was pressing the defender) to take off running leading to a 2 on 1.  A bit of a lucky break but well taken by Koleosho.  The Instagram video below shows it.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_5ejcKR-Tp/?igsh=MWVnazBubXRxMWQwYw==

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Nice, but what the hell were the D and keeper doing there?  Talk about zero resistance.

Strange comment honestly unless you have never played defence or keeper. 

The defender has two people to worrying about and tries to stay in between, then puts pressure when the shot's happening and the angles have narrowed. 

Good play by Koleosho who keeps his nerve to put it it through his legs, thereby unsighting the keeper, who can't do much when he has no idea which direction the ball is going initially.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Strange comment honestly unless you have never played defence or keeper. 

The defender has two people to worrying about and tries to stay in between, then puts pressure when the shot's happening and the angles have narrowed. 

Good play by Koleosho who keeps his nerve to put it it through his legs, thereby unsighting the keeper, who can't do much when he has no idea which direction the ball is going initially.  

You either block the pass, block the player from making progress or cut off a shooting opportunity.  The D literally did none of those and ran a useless line.  Koleosho had all 3 options still available to him.

Don't just do something, stand there.

9 minutes ago, costarg said:

You either block the pass, block the player from making progress or cut off a shooting opportunity.  The D literally did none of those and ran a useless line.  Koleosho had all 3 options still available to him.

Easy to say.

Sorry but you commit to any of those earlier, you make it way easier on the attacker. 

Koleosho had to make a very good play going through his legs.  I have seen many many times when that does not come off. 

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Easy to say.

Sorry but you commit to any of those earlier, you make it way easier on the attacker. 

Koleosho had to make a very good play going through his legs.  I have seen many many times when that does not come off. 

Ya, i agree about Koleosho playing it well. The D could have done more, is all i’m saying. 

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, i agree about Koleosho playing it well. The D could have done more, is all i’m saying. 

Will still disagree. 

He was in a lose/lose/lose situation and made the attacker make a better play to score the goal.  It wasn't a tap in for the other attacker because he committed too early to the ball carrier, for instance. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

33 minutes ago, costarg said:

That sounds like hockey mentality to me. D are taught to take away the pass and let the goalie stop the shooter. It's really not that simple here, I agree with @WestHamCanadianinOxford he was put in a tough position and almost made the block.

4 hours ago, archer21 said:

That sounds like hockey mentality to me. D are taught to take away the pass and let the goalie stop the shooter. It's really not that simple here, I agree with @WestHamCanadianinOxford he was put in a tough position and almost made the block.

I agree it's a hockey mentality, but it's also pretty applicable in soccer to a 2 on 1.  Generally you want to ensure the pass is taken away and only close on the ball (puck) carrier when you know the pass isn't an option (or at least is a difficult one).  And you let your keeper challenge the ball carrier.

That said, I think this defender played the situation pretty well, maybe could've closed down a split second earlier, but overall did a good job - in fact they were very close to seeing the threat off, if it wasn't for Koleosho's impressive meg.