Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

He's still nursing a long term knee injury.  Who knows what level he comes back at and how long it takes him to hit 100% if he even attains 100% recovery. 

Playing Italy U21 doesn't mean he graduates to the senior squad. 

The US has some pretty heavy competition at his position.

He can google, DeGuzman, Tomori, etc... to see what happened there.  A quasi-automatic starter for an up and coming Canada is not such a bad deal.

Nothing is set in stone here.  

De Guzman played in a WCF…

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

De Guzman played in a WCF…

Ya, you're right, that is pretty special.  But you mean WC semi-final and 3rd place match right?

400 competitive minutes for Holland vs certain Canadian legend could be debatable for some people I guess?

4 hours ago, narduch said:

His club was relegated today 

I was convinced Burnley would drop and Espanyol would promote immediately, but the latter are not even ensured promotion playoff, they could still promote.

So my mean-spirited narrative where he dumped Espanyol for top tier football and ended up below them may not play out. 

Agree that if he is in Championship next year, at age 19, it will be good for his development, but will drop him lower in the Italian picture and may bring him back our way. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He was for the second half of the season.  Probably still is.

Kompany said he wasn't close to being ready at the beginning of the month and I haven't see anything since. 

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Kompany said he wasn't close to being ready at the beginning of the month and I haven't see anything since. 

Not quite true - at least according to May 9 Burnley Express article:

Kompany had previously hinted that Luca Koleosho could soon make his return, having been sidelined with a serious knee injury since the start of December.  But when asked to provide a latest update on the 19-year-old, Kompany confirmed he’s still not in contention to feature.

Also, a quote from the May 18 preview of the last game of the season (Burnley vs. Forest)

Of Burnley’s current injury list, winger Luca Koleosho is the one player who could be passed fit in time to play some part in this game. 

So who knows where he's at, but I suspect he's close to fit - just not wanting to risk a setback on international duty...

Here's a hallucination for you.  Kompany tells his boss we need fresh new blood at wing, I've got just the guy.  Bayern contacts Burnley - hey we paid you $12M for your coach, surely you can give us this guy for less.  Koleosho joins Bayern where he is immediately tapped up by his hero, Alphonso Davies, for Team Canada and just in time for WC 2026.

Yes, it's a hallucination, but stranger things have happened at Bayern. (Like, even in the past week.)

6 hours ago, Shway said:

I believe we had a better chance with Flores, and look how that ended up.

He's gone to Italy, if not them then USA.

and a way better chance with mitrovic who by all accounts was looking for a canada call up

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ivan said:

By all accounts maybe, but he chose Serbia after being called up by Canada.

But was also rejected by Canada repeatedly by that point.  Kinda like asking your GF to marry you only after she's broken up with you because she's already waited years. 

Edited by costarg

Mitrovic was an example of Canada shooting itself in the foot. How he wasn't invited to our U-23 team is beyond me. I still recall debates on here about whether playing for Rad in the Serbian top flight was worthy of a call to our group. He should have had a full national team cap before playing for Red Star, let alone Olympic team involvement. 

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

But was also rejected by Canada repeatedly by that point.  Kinda like asking your GF to marry you only after she's broken up with you because she's already waited years. 

To be fair, there was no way he was going to play for us as an 17-18-19 year old.  The only blatant rejection I recall where he could have had a role was the Olympic Qualifiers where we called Diaz in.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ivan said:

To be fair, there was no way he was going to play for us as an 17-18-19 year old.  The only blatant rejection I recall where he could have had a role was the Olympic Qualifiers where we called Diaz in.

17 no, 18 maybe not, but 19? As a 19 year old I am pretty sure it was the season he racked up 10 goals in 35 matches for Rad

image.png.df342601e5603062bf032c4f56bf0763.png

Even before that, he would have been 18 and showing promise, so we should have brought him in at that time. 2020-21, we had Gold Cup in 2021, where he could have been integrated. Even prior to that we were calling up Theo Corbeanu, who we are now ignoring despite him playing in La Liga. 

I know there is nuance, but I can't help but shake my head when I take a big picutre view. 

Edited by Obinna

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, blueseeka said:

We gotta let it go. It is over with Flores and Mitrovic.

Both had chances to be capped by Canada and chose not to.

And no I don't expect Koleosho to ever sign up for Canada but there is a chance

I think Flores & Mitrovic dodged a bullet. The way Marsch is talking about Oso as that #10 doesn’t really instill me with any confidence in this guy whatsoever.

Edited by anthony7

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 3:29 PM, costarg said:

Ya, you're right, that is pretty special.  But you mean WC semi-final and 3rd place match right?

400 competitive minutes for Holland vs certain Canadian legend could be debatable for some people I guess?

Not much of a debate. He played in a World Cup semi final for a powerhouse instead of a program that was terrible and never made a World Cup. You give any player with legitimate options that choice and there are all making the same one.

Tell me what being  “Canadian legend” status is doing for some our past players exactly.

Edited by Soccerpro2