Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

As I've said over on the u-20 thread, I suspected he might get first team minutes next season, did not expect him to see the field today, not at all. 

And they weren't garbage minutes, as Granada had to win to stay in top flight, since Mallorca and Cadiz were winning away. Granada even missed a penalty in the 2nd half, Molina, who's a great striker and just turned 40 went wide. 

He subbed on around m89, immediately was defending a long throw-in into the box. Then he moved to centre forward position, highest up. Since Granada was throwing everything at them he was the only Espanyol player not in the box for corners and long throw-ins. He seemed to break free and get fouled on a counter, but they called the foul against him. He pressured the ball up high. On another Espanyol counter he received on the right in deep, seemed to push a defender off him, but the ref called him for the foul (don't think it was). 

He's strong and pacy, with a mature running style. Commentators say he technically has four nationalities, including Nigerian. They were equally confused whether to call him Koleosho or Warrick, his shirt read Luca W.

Granada relegated, all the Espanyol players stayed on the pitch comforting crying players, one by one, many face down in the grass or shirts over their heads; even the ref went to each and put an arm around their shoulders, fans crying in the stands as well. They were the least likely of the three teams in the mix to drop on the last day.

As I say on the u-20 thread, since the US roster is out and can't be changed, we should call him into our first team. Sieze the moment, get ahead of things. Even if we bring him in to know the team and train, to be a squad support, you have to jump at opportunities when they come your way. The simple fact that a guy like him, who has never lived in Canada, would consider us--that is something we have to take as a positive sign and jump at.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/barker-this-run-has-ignited-the-next-generation-1.1777806                                        Lloyd Barker (former Impact player) was on TSN radio a while back and mentioned that he'd been in contact with Koleosho's family talking about Canada and the 2026 project, in the second half of the interview. As @Unnamed Trialisthas alluded to, how often does a Canadian eligible 17 year old, debut in La Liga?

12 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/barker-this-run-has-ignited-the-next-generation-1.1777806                                        Lloyd Barker (former Impact player) was on TSN radio a while back and mentioned that he'd been in contact with Koleosho's family talking about Canada and the 2026 project, in the second half of the interview. As @Unnamed Trialisthas alluded to, how often does a Canadian eligible 17 year old, debut in La Liga?

Believe he would be only the 2nd Canadian to play in La Liga ever (with Julian de Guzman) if he chooses us.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I've said over on the u-20 thread, I suspected he might get first team minutes next season, did not expect him to see the field today, not at all. 

And they weren't garbage minutes, as Granada had to win to stay in top flight, since Mallorca and Cadiz were winning away. Granada even missed a penalty in the 2nd half, Molina, who's a great striker and just turned 40 went wide. 

He subbed on around m89, immediately was defending a long throw-in into the box. Then he moved to centre forward position, highest up. Since Granada was throwing everything at them he was the only Espanyol player not in the box for corners and long throw-ins. He seemed to break free and get fouled on a counter, but they called the foul against him. He pressured the ball up high. On another Espanyol counter he received on the right in deep, seemed to push a defender off him, but the ref called him for the foul (don't think it was). 

He's strong and pacy, with a mature running style. Commentators say he technically has four nationalities, including Nigerian. They were equally confused whether to call him Koleosho or Warrick, his shirt read Luca W.

Granada relegated, all the Espanyol players stayed on the pitch comforting crying players, one by one, many face down in the grass or shirts over their heads; even the ref went to each and put an arm around their shoulders, fans crying in the stands as well. They were the least likely of the three teams in the mix to drop on the last day.

As I say on the u-20 thread, since the US roster is out and can't be changed, we should call him into our first team. Sieze the moment, get ahead of things. Even if we bring him in to know the team and train, to be a squad support, you have to jump at opportunities when they come your way. The simple fact that a guy like him, who has never lived in Canada, would consider us--that is something we have to take as a positive sign and jump at.

Honestly completely agree call him into the mens team cap tie him so the us doesn’t get him, feel like it’s not a herdmann type of thing to do but a 17 year old who gets minutes in a top 5 league is impressive as is but at espanyol a top European club who always fight for European spots. The fact that from what I’ve heard he lived in the US his whole life makes me think he’d probably prefer to play there so when the opportunity comes you gotta take it could be the next big thing for Canada.

To be honest, I realise he's likely leaning to the States and for now is keeping his options open. 

So I think we are not favourites to take him. 

Still, the fact that he went to a US camp in April and still agreed to be on our provisional roster for the u-20s is telling. Perhaps he does want to see something else. 

Ayo was another example, went to a US camp, scored in a friendly, then chose us. So you wonder if there is something about those US camps certain players are not entirely pleased with. 

57 minutes ago, toontownman said:

If he comes to the u20 tournament we don't need to cap tie him in the full men's team do we? 

He'd be provisionally cap-tied and would have to file to play for the States. Which means if he gets on the final squad that means he's leaning our way. Ultimately if he plays for the U20s this summer expect him to get invites to senior camps in an attempt to get him to stay.

2 hours ago, Tyler55 said:

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

It will mean a lot later on that we showed interest first.

We didn't though did we? He has been through the US youth programs. It likely comes down to opportunity and who he wants to represent. If he accepts a call to the u20s then I think he is ours. Not convinced he won't be called by the US instead though. 

I'm not fully against a nation's league call up if he really is considered a break through talent and Herdman rates him but there are more deserving call ups imo and he can be a huge player for our u20s. 

2 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Apparently not Luca

Not sure this is what it means. People are giving TM crap about looking for clout. Guy posted saying this is already public knowledge and TM denies it, saying he isn't talking about the U-20. 

In other tweets he straight up denies a bunch of the names people are listing. So might not be the case here. 

Think there is still a chance (I hope lol)

15 minutes ago, JamesF said:

the only other Canadian American player that's not eligible for the U20's that I can think of is Chituru Odunze the Goalkeeper from Leicester 

I was thinking this too, which tbh why wouldn’t he make the switch ? Slonina is a monster and Chicago has other GK’s that are young and good and more guys lying around mls.