Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

On 5/31/2024 at 3:35 PM, Obinna said:

Mitrovic was an example of Canada shooting itself in the foot. How he wasn't invited to our U-23 team is beyond me. I still recall debates on here about whether playing for Rad in the Serbian top flight was worthy of a call to our group. He should have had a full national team cap before playing for Red Star, let alone Olympic team involvement. 

He was invited to play for the youth teams in 2020. Even said so himself here: https://www-zurnal-rs.translate.goog/scc/clanak/98350/fudbal/i-kanadjani-culi-za-nis?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

We called him. He turned us down. He showed interest in us to get Serbia to commit. For all these bad girlfriend tropes, which are terrible takes, let's play along anyway - he's a playa.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 3:07 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe, but how much really? I doubt they'll get more than 1.5 million so is it really worth it?

For me Espanyol is the no. 1 candidate for promotion next season, if he hangs on with them it could be his best path.

Espanyol is a Liga team!

A year ago, before he transferred to Burnley, I was arguing that staying with Espanyol could be his best path. I called them no 1 for promotion: well they did not go up automatically, but just won promotion in the playoff, vs Oviedo at home.

So Luca will be in Championship next year with Burnley, with a tough task to promote and likely not even a favourite, and Espanyol, playing with a few of his u-19 and B-team teammates (including the keeper) in league and even in the playoff, will be in La Liga. 

They could actually use some wing play.

I'm fine with it, he took a chance on his career and for now, he's on the outside looking in. As he's just coming off a 7 month injury, he won't likely be getting another transfer up unless he shows something amazing in preseason or the very start of the Championship.

The only possible upside, if he's in Championship and doing okay, is that Italy may leave him off and he may find his way back to us.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The only possible upside, if he's in Championship and doing okay, is that Italy may leave him off and he may find his way back to us.

Don't think so. Gnonto was still called into some senior camps this year despite playing in the Championship. Plus Italy is looking abroad much more than they used to. Their youth teams will continue to look at him when healthy, especially if he is playing first team football.

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Second favourites to win the league, currently, as it happens.  So favourites for automatic promotion.  

Thanks, so that is good, in principle; is there a list somewhere?

Of course many teams are convinced of their chances but new money is changing things. What is good in EFL are those budget provisions to help relegated clubs retain rosters, so the drop off is not as brusque. I think Spain should do it too.

Calling Espanyol to promote this year was "easy" because since the league officially began in 1929 they'd relegated 5 times and each time promoted the following year. Sometimes in dramatic fashion, but they've never failed to get back up immediately. They also had the biggest salary budget in 2nd. 

We were talking about this in relation to Shaffelburg getting interest from Sporting Gijón, a team that is in the top 6-8 to promote each year. Again, as we know, certain teams should be good bets but keep failing.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks, so that is good, in principle; is there a list somewhere?

Of course many teams are convinced of their chances but new money is changing things. What is good in EFL are those budget provisions to help relegated clubs retain rosters, so the drop off is not as brusque. I think Spain should do it too.

Calling Espanyol to promote this year was "easy" because since the league officially began in 1929 they'd relegated 5 times and each time promoted the following year. Sometimes in dramatic fashion, but they've never failed to get back up immediately. They also had the biggest salary budget in 2nd. 

We were talking about this in relation to Shaffelburg getting interest from Sporting Gijón, a team that is in the top 6-8 to promote each year. Again, as we know, certain teams should be good bets but keep failing.

That's from the bookies favourites. 

Leeds 4-1

Burnley 8-1

Luton 12-1

'Brough, West Brom 14-1 

Burnley has parachute payments along with Luton

So does Sheffield United but the bookies think they were bad enough that they are 16-1

They (being Burnley) have usually been smart with contracts, having one eye on going down and probably their biggest "star" is Sander Berg who I mentioned in our Haaland exchange. I think he's on less than 50 bags a week.  Don't think they need to sell much, is what I am saying.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

12 hours ago, masster said:

On a side note...I couldn't believe that the Spanish playoffs were still ongoing. Are there no internationals on any of those teams?

Braithwaite at Espanyol, who has been an important Danish striker was left off, which bothered him a lot, but he helped them promote. And he's just come out slagging Espanyol as well. He led Segunda in scoring. 

There's a Barça youth striker from the B, which just missed promotion to 2nd division last night, with Bolivia, and I think that is it. Panama had a few in Segunda just a year ago but they're gone.

They just finished promotion to Liga, second division and fourth tier this weekend. The latter took about 5 weeks, since there are so many regional divisions in 5th tier. I personally went to a promotion playoff from 4th to 3rd on May 14th. I actually love the long playoffs as all these matches are really intense, you get away fans and stadiums are packed.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Got a new manager today - Super Scotty Parker.   Hopefully does better than his other gigs. 

Incidently Luca, a certain national team is still playing summer football, while two others are not.

Just saying. 

One who just lost a key piece at his position. Were he with us, I’m not sure how surprising it would be for him to get some good game time if he wanted it (assuming his injury was passed him). 

I was thinking about him in light of the Tajon long term injury.

Considering that and the USA upheaval and the fact he may never be good enough for Italy, combined with Canada getting out shit together with a new coach (American btw) and hopefully tonight getting a win to make a deeper run in the Copa America, I just wonder if our odds have increased to bring him in.

There will be no Tajon Buchanan keeping him out of the team on the short-to-medium term, and for Canada it's a quality player who can help fill the gap.

I know we still have Nelson and Corbeanu waiting in the wings, but I think you got to go Koleosho ahead of both if you can convince him to come back.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

you got to go Koleosho ahead of both if you can convince him to come back.

Do you? Both Koleosho and Corbeanu have the exact same number of first division goals and will be playing second div next year. 

Agree we should do what we can to get him if it’s possible, but… maybe we already have Koleosho at home? 

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Do you? Both Koleosho and Corbeanu have the exact same number of first division goals and will be playing second div next year. 

Agree we should do what we can to get him if it’s possible, but… maybe we already have Koleosho at home? 

I’m a fan of both, but biggest difference being Koleosho is 19 while Nelson is 21 and Corbeanu is 22

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Technically Corbeanu has twice as many first division goals, he scored one in the Swiss Super League.

But.. 

Top 5 leagues -  986 minutes in 15 possible games on a much better team (some might disagree but I will got to the mat on that having watched both a fair bit) compared to 186 minutes  in 16, says a lot.

Again having watched them, I have to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Technically Corbeanu has twice as many first division goals, he scored one in the Swiss Super League.

But.. 

Top 5 leagues -  986 minutes in 15 possible games on a much better team (some might disagree but I will got to the mat on that having watched both a fair bit) compared to 186 minutes  in 16, says a lot.

Again having watched them, I have to disagree. 

I don’t think corbeanu was given the best opportunity at Granada- he came in the winter, they were already fighting relegation, and the player who played ahead of him was one of their best offensive players (and is having himself a very nice Copa America). Koleosho was brought in as one of Burnley’s big signings when they got promoted. 

If there’s an argument that Koleosho is better, I’m willing to hear it out, but we’re at a point where we have enough depth that a player like Corbeanu- who scored against Villarreal in a game his team was embarrassed- doesn’t make our team. Where does Koleosho fit on this current team where Corbeanu can’t? 

Don’t disagree we need to bring in as many good players as possible, but we have some pretty good players at home right now, and next year, Koleosho will be a championship winger which I don’t think necessarily guarantees you a spot on this roster. 

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think corbeanu was given the best opportunity at Granada- he came in the winter, they were already fighting relegation, and the player who played ahead of him was one of their best offensive players (and is having himself a very nice Copa America). Koleosho was brought in as one of Burnley’s big signings when they got promoted. 

If there’s an argument that Koleosho is better, I’m willing to hear it out, but we’re at a point where we have enough depth that a player like Corbeanu- who scored against Villarreal in a game his team was embarrassed- doesn’t make our team. Where does Koleosho fit on this current team where Corbeanu can’t? 

Don’t disagree we need to bring in as many good players as possible, but we have some pretty good players at home right now, and next year, Koleosho will be a championship winger which I don’t think necessarily guarantees you a spot on this roster. 

So, you arguing what might have happened against what did?

Koleosho played significant minutes in every game, in a top five league on a team that was chock full of wingers.

Corbeanu did not on a worse team.

Lots can happen from here but at this point there is no contest.

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

So, you arguing what might have happened against what did?

Koleosho played significant minutes in every game, in a top five league on a team that was chock full of wingers.

Corbeanu did not on a worse team.

Lots can happen from here but at this point there is no contest.

No, I’m arguing a guy we have that’s if not as good as him reasonably close, and he’s not getting called. Who is Koleosho replacing on this team that Corbeanu couldn’t replace?

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

No, I’m arguing a guy we have that’s if not as good as him reasonably close, and he’s not getting called. Who is Koleosho replacing on this team that Corbeanu couldn’t replace?

Easy. Waterman. Who replaced hoilett. 

but if koleosho was in pre-injury form, he likely starts for us.  

the game today showed that we aren’t that deep on the wing and our formation requires 4 wingers a game. Relying on laryea and ali as wingers is not ideal. 

As much as I'd selfishly like to see him in a Canada kit, it's not going to happen imo.  We're better prioritizing Corbeanu and Nelson and getting them bled in ahead of 2026.  

I also think there's a big chance he moves from Burnley by the end of the window fwiw.  There's interest within the EPL as well as other teams in Top 4 leagues. 

Edited by Footyeh