Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

Yeah, with all the teeth-gnashing about losing Mitrovic and not getting Jebbo this window, it feels like we are under appreciating the fact that Koleosho has given us a very strong signal.  I only view it as a signal because there is still room to go back to the US, but he has always been open to us, had his pic taken in the Canadian shirt, and will now (one has to assume) get his first senior cap wearing the maple leaf.  That is pretty awesome.   

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, with all the teeth-gnashing about losing Mitrovic and not getting Jebbo this window, it feels like we are under appreciating the fact that Koleosho has given us a very strong signal.  I only view it as a signal because there is still room to go back to the US, but he has always been open to us, had his pic taken in the Canadian shirt, and will now (one has to assume) get his first senior cap wearing the maple leaf.  That is pretty awesome.   

Yeah, of all the dual nats, he's playing at the highest level and will possibly end up being the best player. Very happy that we (so far) have him.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:01 PM, prairiecanuck said:

After losing some duels it's nice to finally the one's stealing a dual national!

I see what you did there. The "dual duel". I will now be referring to every race to captie every dual national other nation that

Edited by rydermike

Luca and Espanyol B are playing their Spanish 4th tier match, Segunda Federación, Saturday vs. Alzira. Then he goes to the call-up on Monday.

Espanyol having a rough start to the season, not getting a decent transfer for Raul de Tomás and having doubts up front, has probably hurt his first team chances. They've sorted out roster by signing veterans--so in fact not just Luca but the other kids figuring close to the first team might have to work on the B and find their minutes with in La Liga as the season evolves. The CB Simo Keddari, he's a fine player too, and even younger--they'll all have to fight for spots.

Fortunately, Espanyol treats its up and coming academy players well. Also: last season they were in a direct promotion spot until very late, they definitely will want to promote this year as they need the B team in 3rd tier to raise its quality for Liga readiness.

My prediction is that he'll make 8-10 appearances more in the 30 plus games left, unless there are injuries or he really breaks out. That may not sound like much but he just turned 18 yesterday. It would still be the best progression of a Canadian international since Davies.

Edit: just remembered, a B team right back, Rubén Sánchez, was being used ahead of him pushed forward into right side attack. Preseason, and league games. But he was injured last week vs. Sevilla. So the natural pecking order could have Luca replacing him in call-ups, if it is at all a long-term thing.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

12 minutes ago, frmr said:

The ridiculous discussion of Colyn vs Koleosho in the Colyn thread got me thinking of an actual interesting comparison. Who has the higher ceiling, Flores or Koleosho?

Does Flores even have any first team minutes?

edit: just googled him and he has played 5 games in Spanish second division 

Edited by Canuckistan2019

17 minutes ago, frmr said:

The ridiculous discussion of Colyn vs Koleosho in the Colyn thread got me thinking of an actual interesting comparison. Who has the higher ceiling, Flores or Koleosho?

Not sure. But Kolesho is a year younger and is playing or played top flight football. So Kolesho. (La Liga not La Liga 2)

But comparing kids like this is silly. Plus are they the same positions? 

Edited by Vasi

35 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Not sure. But Kolesho is a year younger and is playing or played top flight football. So Kolesho. (La Liga not La Liga 2)

But comparing kids like this is silly. Plus are they the same positions? 

You’re right let’s talk about who Jebbison follows on Instagram and the latest tweet from Mitrovic’s dad instead.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Only God can say!

Bryce Anderson was projected to have a high ceiling, and it turned out to be high enough to throw pizzas in the air.

All that to say, ceiling talk is pure fantasy. 

29 minutes ago, Shway said:

Only God can say!

Bryce Anderson was projected to have a high ceiling, and it turned out to be high enough to throw pizzas in the air.

All that to say, ceiling talk is pure fantasy. 

Well, it’s not pure fantasy, but it’s certainly no guarantee. I think both of players have a lot of potential, and currently roughly at similar levels (Koleosho with the edge). 

The reason I brought this up is because we were all so obsessed with Flores, ended up losing him, and suddenly Koleosho comes out of nowhere and looks to have even more potential (possibly). Slightly different players if Flores gets time in the 10 role, but the two players/situations are comparable and it will be interesting to see who turns into the better player seeing how much fanfare was around Flores and then Koleosho (so far) has joined with relatively little fuss. I haven’t watched either enough to give an opinion on who has more potential. Maybe @Unnamed Trialist would have an idea.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

Well, it’s not pure fantasy, but it’s certainly no guarantee. I think both of players have a lot of potential, and currently roughly at similar levels (Koleosho with the edge). 

The reason I brought this up is because we were all so obsessed with Flores, ended up losing him, and suddenly Koleosho comes out of nowhere and looks to have even more potential (possibly). Slightly different players if Flores gets time in the 10 role, but the two players/situations are comparable and it will be interesting to see who turns into the better player seeing how much fanfare was around Flores and then Koleosho (so far) has joined with relatively little fuss. I haven’t watched either enough to give an opinion on who has more potential. Maybe @Unnamed Trialist would have an idea.

In my opinion Flores is more the style of player they need for their current setup and style, but both players are still projects at this point. I hope we get to see more of Koleosho during this window, because like Flores his sample size is also small, and I’d be curious how he fits in.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

I read they're happy with Flores in Oviedo. They shifted to a double striker system so he lost the starter spot, but say he's still valid to shake things up as a sub.

He's a year older.

Luca: season is just starting, but he'll have to play well on their B team to get called back into the 1st side. As with other B players. Or maybe score vs Uruguay?

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I read they're happy with Flores in Oviedo. They shifted to a double striker system so he lost the starter spot, but say he's still valid to shake things up as a sub.

He's a year older.

Luca: season is just starting, but he'll have to play well on their B team to get called back into the 1st side. As with other B players. Or maybe score vs Uruguay?

In a fantasy world where we had Flores, he probably be best suited playing behind Jonathan David, and kind of playing the Osorio role, where he does the work to get the ball to David. They really need a dynamic player in that role.

They profile him and other Espanyol players called into national teams. 

Late call-up is Cabrera for Uruguay, covering an injury, so they may face each other.

https://www.lagradaonline.com/primer-equipo/internacionales-espanyol-luca-koleosho-leandro-cabrera-martin-braithwaite-keidi-bare-simo-keddari-roger-martinez-nabil-touaizi

1 hour ago, costarg said:

So I'm assuming he hasn't quite made up his mind, right?  Otherwise he surely would've made it onto the field today?  Fair?

Anyone feel he might change his mind between now and Tuesday?

Or Herdman just brought him for more exposure to our group but is more focused on preparing for a World Cup?

1 hour ago, costarg said:

So I'm assuming he hasn't quite made up his mind, right?  Otherwise he surely would've made it onto the field today?  Fair?

This is where I am. Don't think he (Luca) wants to play. He's here to check out the camp since the last one was a shit show. I still think he ends up with us eventually. 

6 hours ago, costarg said:

No, those weren't the parameters at play yesterday....