WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Our region is Concacaf. As I see it, let our direct rivals swim in hot sewage.

Did anyone of your invented regional buddies care about Canada not qualifying for 35 years? 

I really would love to put out an experimental team last day vs Panama and push the US or Mexico into the intercontinental playoff. 

Part of me has always believed that if soccer was big in the US, it would rub off here.  TSN shows all those talking head shows from ESPN every day and all they talk about is the NFL and the NBA.  Imagine if they regularly talk about soccer what effect it would have on the media here.

Having said that, I absolutely agree with this and will be grabbing the popcorn if Honduras takes any points tonight. 😄

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Our region is Concacaf. As I see it, let our direct rivals swim in hot sewage.

Did anyone of your invented regional buddies care about Canada not qualifying for 35 years? 

I really would love to put out an experimental team last day vs Panama and push the US or Mexico into the intercontinental playoff. 

Funny, except this would be our last match before the WC draw so that would be foolish.

15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Funny, except this would be our last match before the WC draw so that would be foolish.

I get your point: if FIFA rankings made a difference, if getting those 6-8 points affected where we were in the draw. Which they won't, of course: there would have to be a virtually impossible coincidence of circumstances whereby a few points would take us from Pot 4 to 3. 

We are going to experiment anyways away to Panama, if we are classified. We are going to give some guys minutes, others will rest, and others may even be sent back to their clubs after the Jamaica match. So it's all moot. 

19 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is getting nuts

You can't believe the refs want to do that game either. I think they should call it, it is simply not fair to players, fans, anyone. 

The other thing is this: if you can stipulate waterbreaks when you get up around 28-30 degrees, the contrary could come into effect, couldn't it? Couldn't they allow a mid-half break to warm up 5 minutes beside heaters? I just don't get the logic of one and not the other. 

FIFA has some sets of rules whereby they can call a match and play later (waterlogged pitch, fan safety), but the problem is that there are no dates available.

At least for the last 2 fixtures (or maybe just the last) I think we'll even see the matches at the same game times, like final match of a group stage. 

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

You can't believe the refs want to do that game either. I think they should call it, it is simply not fair to players, fans, anyone. 

The other thing is this: if you can stipulate waterbreaks when you get up around 28-30 degrees, the contrary could come into effect, couldn't it? Couldn't they allow a mid-half break to warm up 5 minutes beside heaters? I just don't get the logic of one and not the other. 

FIFA has some sets of rules whereby they can call a match and play later (waterlogged pitch, fan safety), but the problem is that there are no dates available.

At least for the last 2 fixtures (or maybe just the last) I think we'll even see the matches at the same game times, like final match of a group stage. 

Just haul a couple saunas pitchside and be done with it imo

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Personally I am a fan of FIFA making the Americans forfeit for being so irresponsible. In fact deduct them points. It's all part of the master plan to have them finish 5th 😎

59 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is getting nuts

This is absolutely bonkers. US Soccer really shot itself in the foot with this galaxy brain stuff. Play this match anywhere else in the US and US will walk away with an easy win 95 times out of 100, but with the conditions as is, even if the match goes ahead, the likelihood of US dropping points increases drastically. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying all of this. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I get your point: if FIFA rankings made a difference, if getting those 6-8 points affected where we were in the draw. Which they won't, of course: there would have to be a virtually impossible coincidence of circumstances whereby a few points would take us from Pot 4 to 3. 

We are going to experiment anyways away to Panama, if we are classified. We are going to give some guys minutes, others will rest, and others may even be sent back to their clubs after the Jamaica match. So it's all moot. 

If we win the next 3 matches, I think there’s a very good chance that the final match will help determine which pot we end up in. That’s easier said than done, but it’s not like it’s impossible.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This is getting nuts

The  US wanted to secure a 3 pointer At home with their geographic places, but somehow backfired, it could be call off.  I've got to check the weather but Bundesliga doesn't play in January for example because of this.  

My guess is the USA will get rid of this fellow once they are in, and they are gonna hire a high profile experience "steppe  wolf".   

Maybe Mourinho.  Brendan Rodgers, Hasenhüllt, Claude Puel or the basques Unai Emery, Julen Lopetegui

22 minutes ago, lenny said:

Yeah, and they prefer dogs anyway.

Is that Greg's attempt to fire his team up? That is cringeworthy stuff. 

I don't blame the man for trying obviously, but there's something about it that makes me recoil. I can't put my finger around it. I guess Greg is just not gifted with the ability to inspire with words like that. At least that's my feeling. 

1 hour ago, frattinator said:

This is absolutely bonkers. US Soccer really shot itself in the foot with this galaxy brain stuff. Play this match anywhere else in the US and US will walk away with an easy win 95 times out of 100, but with the conditions as is, even if the match goes ahead, the likelihood of US dropping points increases drastically. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying all of this. 

These guys are going to know a type of cold they've never know before and I hope they live to tell the tale.

Stadium should provide some shelter from the wind, that'll go a long way, but still.

Shake my head.

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is that Greg's attempt to fire his team up? That is cringeworthy stuff. 

I don't blame the man for trying obviously, but there's something about it that makes me recoil. I can't put my finger around it. I guess Greg is just not gifted with the ability to inspire with words like that. At least that's my feeling. 

The catchphrase from El Diego in this situations where youve got to be aware of every little tiny details in football is "se te escapó la tortuga"  which it translated to as you have missed tour own tortoise pet.  

Anybody who lets a land turtle escape has got to be pretty slow-witted. So the expression refers to a mistake being made out of negligence, momentary brain-fade, clumsiness, or foolishness when the person should have known better or would have been normally more competent. Or missing an obvious and easy opportunity. The expression was apparently made popular by Maradona 

Edited by JAVIERF