WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Mexico looking good for the win vs. the Ticos. Would be nice if Jamaica got the win, too. If that happens, then a win in El Salvador puts us through automatically, no? Math me up.

If we win on Wednesday, gives us 25 points which would be enough to clinch our spot with 3 games left to spare

8 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Mexico looking good for the win vs. the Ticos. Would be nice if Jamaica got the win, too. If that happens, then a win in El Salvador puts us through automatically, no? Math me up.

Magic number is 8 points for Panama and 6 for Costa Rica.

If we win vs El Salvador that's 3. Panama needs to drop 5 points (i.e. 2 losses or a loss and tie) and Costa Rica needs to drop 3 points (ie. lose one or tie both matches) for us to officially qualify this window

So if we qualify in this window, does the final stage in March become a cynical attempt to cap-tie everyone in sight? I feel like the answer is, and should be, no. But I also feel like that may be naive. Ugbo seemed to have quite the interview with Henry to get on board. This is just such a strange place to be right now. I feel like caveman being invited to a black tie dinner. No idea how to behave...

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

On 1/13/2022 at 6:19 PM, Wayverider said:

Most of you still don't realize just how good we really are. F*&k this psychological-inferiority discussion of 'I'd trade a loss in this game if we could get a win in this one' or 'Oh I'm nervous, the central American jungles have been historically unkind to us' .... Look down, make sure you've got a set. Ok, we good, they are still there? Damn right, now let's go out and take 3 from every opponent we ever face. Let our players cherish those moments in games when they see the first glimpses of failure register on our opponent's faces because they can't handle this 21st century version of Canadian soccer. And then put your foot to their throats and crush them.

Ok, before I take too much flack I'm also a realist and know we are not going to take three points every single time we take the field. But we finally have a team good enough to take the approach I laid out above (every single time they take the field). As fans we need to start mirroring their expectations and expecting victories.

9 points next window!!!

Just saying!!!!!! F@#king Eh boys!!! 

Let's start planning for Qatar right now! I'm soooooo in!

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

So if we qualify in this window, does the final stage in March become a cynical attempt to cap-tie everyone in sight? I feel like the answer is, and should be, no. But I also feel like that may be naive. Ugbo seemed to have quiet the interview with Henry to get on board. This is just such a strange place to be right now. I feel like caveman being invited to a black tie dinner. No idea how to behave...

I don't think there will naive cap-ties. I think the players are smart enough not to do that nd lock themselves in.

What it should be though is an opportunity for those fringe guys to showcase themselves. No need for a full A squad.

2 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

So if we qualify in this window, does the final stage in March become a cynical attempt to cap-tie everyone in sight? I feel like the answer is, and should be, no. But I also feel like that may be naive. Ugbo seemed to have quiet the interview with Henry to get on board. This is just such a strange place to be right now. I feel like caveman being invited to a black tie dinner. No idea how to behave...

I don't think it has to be a cynical cap if we call in  players like Jebbo & Mitrovic. It's clear they are on Canada's radar and  contact has been made. If in fact we do qualify this window Herdman will want to take a look at some players in the event they can make the team stronger 

8 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

So if we qualify in this window, does the final stage in March become a cynical attempt to cap-tie everyone in sight? I feel like the answer is, and should be, no. But I also feel like that may be naive. Ugbo seemed to have quite the interview with Henry to get on board. This is just such a strange place to be right now. I feel like caveman being invited to a black tie dinner. No idea how to behave...

Well if we qualify, we have a chance to cap tie whoever we want and then when we bring them in, it creates quite the competition to see who makes the final 23 man squad for Qatar 

Just now, The Beaver 2.0 said:

If we are through before the final window, then we need to treat the final three games as a chance to stay sharp and prepare for Qatar. Maybe we bring in a couple of young(er) guys, but I don't think you mess with the culture.

I didn't mean bring a complete B squad, but like give guys like Ugbo a full 90, let Crepeau get a match, call up a couple guys like Mitrovic/PAton and get them some action

1 minute ago, rydermike said:

I didn't mean bring a complete B squad, but like give guys like Ugbo a full 90, let Crepeau get a match, call up a couple guys like Mitrovic/PAton and get them some action

And Corbeanu. I agree. Lots of squad rotation over the final window.  Oh, and let's play Jamaica in Vancouver!

11 minutes ago, rydermike said:

I don't think there will naive cap-ties. I think the players are smart enough not to do that nd lock themselves in.

What it should be though is an opportunity for those fringe guys to showcase themselves. No need for a full A squad.

I agree that there likely won’t be any cynical 1-minute cameos just to lock someone down.  But the fact is that barring any catastrophe - we are going to Qatar.  If a guy like Jebbison was invited for the March window and given a chance to stake a claim for a spot in a team that will be in the next two WCs he may chose to start trying to get integrated into the group.