WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

4 points and I look for the nearest bridge. (I live in Montreal)

5 points I can barely stomach.

6 points I'll accept

7-9 my expectations.

Why?  4 pts in this window coupled with 4 pts in the next window would book a ticket to Qatar.   The only good bets for wins in the remaining two windows are:

The away game in ES

The home game vs Jam

Then you just gotta find two draws in the remaining four games.   That is definitely achievable.  And it could even be achievable before the final game in Pan

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Why?  4 pts in this window coupled with 4 pts in the next window would book a ticket to Qatar.   The only good bets for wins in the remaining two windows are:

The away game in ES

The home game vs Jam

Then you just gotta find two draws in the remaining four games.   That is definitely achievable.  And it could even be achievable before the final game in Pan

Been reading all these articles online saying its panic time if we don't automatically qualify after this window and I'm having a good chuckle.

That being said take 9 points this window and just have a week long party in March.

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The away game in ES

The home game vs Jam

Yeah - I have a hard time believing anyone  would be disappointed with 20 points going into the final window. That gives us a very strong shot at a auto qualification.

i think 99% of us would have gladly taken that if offered before the Octagan started 

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

4 points and I look for the nearest bridge. (I live in Montreal)

5 points I can barely stomach.

6 points I'll accept

7-9 my expectations.

To each their own but for me this is just a set up for disappointment.   5 points would mean that we get a win, cause the US to drop 2-3 points against us, effectively eliminate Honduras, remain undefeated, and put ourselves into an excellent position.   That is not a series of outcomes that I could barely stomach.   Even 4 points keeps us progressing - even if it is a bit underwhelming.   

19 minutes ago, theaub said:

5 points from this window and a Costa Rica win tonight, and its win and in at home against Jamaica.

I love the simplicity of this approach - and it shows the value of those 5 points.  The bonus of forcing the US to. Remain hungry and motivated is also pretty huge.  Their last window includes Panama and Mexico so the more desperation among those teams, the better considering we will only have one game involving them during the March window.  

Just now, jonovision said:

Obviously(?) we want Costa Rica to beat or at least draw with Panama. What are the best results for us in the other two matches, do you think? 

US win and Jamaica/Mexico draw.

Why US win?

- more likely to be a rotated lineup in Hamilton

- Keeps El Salvador at least 8 points from the 4th spot, meaning that barring a win in Honduras they will be virtually eliminated by the time we play them.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Obviously(?) we want Costa Rica to beat or at least draw with Panama. What are the best results for us in the other two matches, do you think? 

I think Mexico tying Jamaica would be best.  Limits Mexico’s points and doesn’t give Jamaica any hope being stuck on 8 points. I’d love to see El Salvador beat the US

23 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm goin to say El Salvador win, but I wouldn't be too upset with a draw and a Mexico win (even with a 9 point gap Jamaica still scares me)

45 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The away game in ES

The home game vs Jam

Why, you ask. Well, because this team for me qualified after the first window. Actually, I'd say after the Gold Cup. I don't see a helpless team squeaking into the WC. I see a power house that will rival the two powers in CONCACA. You are obviously still shell-shocked by past National Teams.

So that's why you're happy with 4 points and I see that result as a let down. I think this team is good enough to make it to the round of 16 at the WC.

Yeah, I know there are gonna be posters who are gonna tell me I'm putting the cart before the horse. They would be right if I didn't drive a car.

Edited by Sal333

32 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Why, you ask. Well, because this team for me qualified after the first window. Actually, I'd say after the Gold Cup. I don't see a helpless team squeaking into the WC. I see a power house that will rival the two powers in CONCACA. You are obviously still shell-shocked by past National Teams.

So that's why you're happy with 4 points and I see that result as a let down. I think this team is good enough to make it to the round of 16 at the WC.

Yeah, I know there are gonna be posters who are gonna tell me I'm putting the cart before the horse. They would be right if I didn't drive a car.

I am not shell shocked by past NT's.  Its just pragmatism, even for powerhouses like Mexico.  Mexico doesnt go into the hex thinking that they will win all their games.    They go in just thinking that they will advance and qualify.  The last window, we were playing two home games whereby the opposition (e.g.: CRC) just sat back and conceded.    This time we have 2 away games this window.  It wont be as easy nor should it be.   We are no longer playing Aruba, Caymans, and Bermuda

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't like to think too much about the other matches, and I don't want to get ahead of myself at all, but a Canada win today and a Costa Rica win vs Panama, and all of a sudden we're 5 pts up on 4th with 5 to play, and with Panama having matches remaining at Mexico and at USA. 

Not a bad spot to be in.

Yeah it’s interesting how it seems tonight’s set of games will really shape the direction of the standings.  Of course I could say this Sunday and next Wednesday.  Just feels like tonight could really shape things up. We’ve all been saying for months that this window would truly determine how this goes.  Obviously the clinching will likely occur in the final window for the top 3 but this window, once completed will really determine it 

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

I am not shell shocked by past NT's.  Its just pragmatism, even for powerhouses like Mexico.  Mexico doesnt go into the hex thinking that they will win all their games.    They go in just thinking that they will advance and qualify.  the last window, we were playing two home games wherby the opposition (CRC) just sat back and conceeded.    

Where did I say win all their games? As for your example of Mexico. They're almost assured at this point of making the WC but their fans are not satisfied with their team. Why? Because they don't see their team as a squeak-into-the-WC squad. They see the team as a power house and will not accept less. The same with the States. I see Canada in the same light.

My opinion for this window:

BEST CASE: 7 points- We win both our games against inferior El Salvador and Honduras and battle with the US at home and get a draw. 3 wins is always possible with these fellas but without AD and possibly Eustaquio for US game I think a draw is best case plus we do have to go to Central America twice.

WORSE CASE: 4 points-  We lose to the US at home as they have a healthy lineup and get the best of us and we give up an early goal to El Salvador or Honduras and one of them draws us. Similar game to Jamaica possibly. I think this is worse case though, this team is too special to not win one of these games at Central America and believe we have a high floor for this window.

My Opinion: 5 points- We continue with our trend of 5 points in 3 game windows. I think we draw in Honduras or El Salvador just based on past history over there and us giving us an early goal and having to play catch up. I believe the boys battle hard against the US and grab a draw. 

2 Most Important Players for this window: Jonathan David and Tajon Buchannan

These two need to be the creative, talented players that they continue to be in the club level. Without Davies, we need ways to generate offense and Tajon has the speed and talent to do that. David, has become a big name in Europe for simply scoring goals, and we need this to continue this window with teams that defend weak. I expect some low scoring games this window, and 1-0 results are suffice, similar to the Costa Rica.

Should be a fun week!