WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

29 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Fraser over Paton is mind-blowing to me. Feels like Herdman will play favourites instead of going with needs, in this case a player who is in mid-season form.

Fraser is also moving to a second division club that's barely professional.

Its also unfortunate timing.

He really isn't in mid-season form since he JUST got back from an injury. Ross County have 4 games in the next 12 days.

32 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Fraser over Paton is mind-blowing to me. Feels like Herdman will play favourites instead of going with needs, in this case a player who is in mid-season form.

Fraser is also moving to a second division club that's barely professional.

As far as I can tell Paton hasn't played since he came off with a knock against Celtic Dec. 15, so I'm guessing he's been recovering from injury and still not 100%.  Who knows how Herdman rates him (I'm not convinced playing for Ross County gets him rated above Fraser had TFC and Columbus experience but that's another argument.  I get the out of season argument) but for now Paton is still not in form himself 

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

8 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

As far as I can tell Paton hasn't played since he came off with a knock against Celtic Dec. 15, so I'm guessing he's been recovering from injury and still not 100%.  Who knows how Herdman rates him (I'm not convinced playing for Ross County gets him rated above Fraser had TFC and Columbus experience but that's another argument.  I get the out of season argument) but for now Paton is still not in form himself 

He subbed on in the 83rd minute this past weekend in the Scottish FA Cup.

Edited by narduch

Under the circumstances not too many surprises- except for the glimmer hope that Staq can still be a big player for us this window.  If we can get him for 2 games it would be great.   

Wasn’t expecting Theo based on the presser yesterday.  Pretty sure he didn’t make a horrible mistake choosing Canada but that is just me.

There is enough firepower and defensive solidity to do the job, but I have tempered my expectations a bit. Paralleling someone else:

4 points is the bare minimum for this window not to be a failure. 
5 points would be just fine given what it means (undefeated and keeping the US hungry). 
6 and I am very happy regardless of where the loss comes.
Anything over 6 and my wife better brace herself.  

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

There is one big difference between JDG’s experience in Central America and today.  Today, those two central american sides are for all intents and purposes eliminated. Hence, playing for nothing. 

Not only that, the stadiums will not be at full capacity! Some will be empty. That is big. 

Personal thoughts on the roster: Maybe the least surprising roster announcement we've seen.

1. Was hoping we might get Mitrovic over Paton for example, but this is an enormous window, don't blame Herdman and co for going with the boys that have got us here so far.

2. I think/hope we get to see Ugbo start with either David or Larin for at least one match, I think he bring's a different element than Larin and David and I could see him complimenting either quite well.

3. Becoming cautiously optimistic with our core at CB. Finally having Kennedy back just makes that line look that much more solid where we could withstand a suspension. You could argue we could run two separate trios as a back three and feel somewhat confident (A Trio: Miller, Vitoria, Johnston, B Trio: Cornelius, Henry, Kennedy).

These boys are built different, there is continuity in our squad and they know the stakes. It's time to slay our demons and get our passports ready fellas.

Edited by Approve My Account Pls
My bad @spitfire

33 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He sure crushed that beer pretty quick. Nice video though.  If we go on to qualify, you really feel for the De Guzman, De Rosario, Stalteri types who were there for years and just never got a sniff.  That’s why seeing this through and having Atiba coming out for the national anthem in that first game would be such a surreal moment 

11 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Personal thoughts on the roster: Maybe the least surprising roster announcement we've seen.

1. Was hoping we might get Mitrovic over Paton for example, but this is an enormous window, don't blame Herdman and co for going with the boys that have got us here so far.

2. I think/hope we get to see Ugbo start with either David or Larin for at least one match, I think he bring's a different element than Larin and David and I could see him complimenting either quite well.

Sorry approve, I just had to highlight those bits.  Everyone repeats this mantra "go with the guys who got us here", like Herdman has it tatooed on his forehead.  Except for parachuting Ugbo into the lineup and wanting him to get a start.  Seems like there are rules, except there isnt.  Not that I dont think Ugbo will play, he does bring something different and he should be in shape and match sharp.  And it would be nice to seem him pair with David or Larin.  So lets not worry about who played before and have a big camp and involve more guys not less.  Bring in Mitovic etc anyway.  

24 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

3. Becoming cautiously optimistic with our core at CB. Finally having Kennedy back just makes that line look that much more solid where we could withstand a suspension. You could argue we could run two separate trios as a back three and feel somewhat confident (A Trio: Millar, Vitoria, Johnston, B Trio: Cornelius, Henry, Kennedy).

These boys are built different, there is continuity in our squad and they know the stakes. It's time to slay our demons and get our passports ready fellas.

@spitfireCan he play CB? 🤣

15 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

He sure crushed that beer pretty quick. Nice video though.  If we go on to qualify, you really feel for the De Guzman, De Rosario, Stalteri types who were there for years and just never got a sniff.  That’s why seeing this through and having Atiba coming out for the national anthem in that first game would be such a surreal moment 

Whoever made this graphic must've been drinking with JDG

40 minutes ago, Free kick said:

There is one big difference between JDG’s experience in Central America and today.  Today, those two central american sides are for all intents and purposes eliminated. Hence, playing for nothing. 

A second big difference is that those Canada teams that lost in Central America were not very good and certainly not as deep as the  current edition.

There's only one person on the roster who hasn't played for us yet, and that's Cristian Gutierrez.  He's a completely different option than Sam or Richie as a left back or wingback; he also has a bit of experience as an LCB in a back 3, and again, a completely different option than Kennedy or Cornelius there.  I would love to see him get some game time, maybe against El Salvador - he's no gamebreaker, but his intelligence and quality on the ball, along with his directness - I think there's definitely a place for him on this team, and I hope he gets the chance to show that.  Closest player to compare him to might be Alistair Johnson on the right - but he's not as physical and more technical, while still gritty like Alistair.  Nice to see his inclusion (if only out of necessity 😉).

Edited by GasPed

13 minutes ago, GasPed said:

There's only one person on the roster who hasn't played for us yet, and that's Cristian Gutierrez.  He's a completely different option than Sam or Richie as a left back or wingback; he also has a bit of experience as an LCB in a back 3, and again, a completely different option than Kennedy or Cornelius there.  I would love to see him get some game time, maybe against El Salvador - he's no gamebreaker, but his intelligence and quality on the ball, along with his directness - I think there's definitely a place for him on this team, and I hope he gets the chance to show that.  Closest player to compare him to might be Alistair Johnson on the right - but he's not as physical and more technical, while still gritty like Alistair.  Nice to see his inclusion (if only out of necessity 😉).

Nice to have another Spanish speaker as well.

Although he hasn't played, he did get called up to the March camp last year so he isn't entirely new. 

I don't share your confidence for Henry and Cornelius, but if we win in Honduras, I'm all for going with a B team and giving the team a rest versus the USA.

I can see us get the three points in Salvador and 6 points would make me happy.

Doing some research on this and I noticed that El Salvador no longer requires any COVID related tests / evidence to enter the country.

After 7 days from positive test date, Eustaquio should be able to leave Portugal (that would be either the coming Saturday or Sunday) and fly to El Salvador. He would not be able to enter Canada until 11 days after the test - so he's ruled out vs the US i think.

So in summary, assuming no health issues he should be available for El Salvador and could even arrive the day before the rest of the squad and start training a bit. He will not be available before that though. 

Edited by Floortom

58 minutes ago, P-O said:

I don't share your confidence for Henry and Cornelius, but if we win in Honduras, I'm all for going with a B team and giving the team a rest versus the USA.

I can see us get the three points in Salvador and 6 points would make me happy.

I think the US will play the B team against us so I'd like us to play a full squad there.