WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He never said that? 

Even though he never said that, I do get a sense that Millar’s pace gets underrated. Davies is obviously a class of his own in that regard and Buchanan is just below that, but Millar is in the Buchanan category when it comes to speed. If we say Buchanan is the 2nd fastest player in the team, Millar would have a shout for 3rd. Corbeanu I am not sure is in our top 5, but he’s pretty fast too. I would say Laryea and maybe David round out the top 5 fastest Canadians? Then maybe Kennedy is around there and perhaps then Corbeanu, etc. Ugbo looks like he has wheels too btw, Adekugbe is pretty quick as well, as is Larin. Lots of speed in the team.

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

Pretty much confirms Corbeanu is out for this window 

I would have liked him in the squad just for another option but I still think we should be good.  At this point it looks like our possible wide attacking players include Larin, Buchanan, Laryea, Millar, Adekugbe, and Hoilett (if deployed wide).  Prob missing a couple - and some of those guys often play elsewhere depending on the formation - but I hope that is enough firepower to get it done.  

I’d like to see what Corbeanu can do but “good enough for the Championship” isn’t playing in the Championship. He’s young, playing in League One and hasn’t even been on the bench for us. I think Herdman would be crazy to start him... provided he’s called up. 

Edit: Just saw the press conference footage. Not surprised. 

Edited by ECW

1 minute ago, ECW said:

I’d like to see what Corbeanu can do but “good enough for the Championship” isn’t playing in the Championship. He’s young, playing in League One and hasn’t even been on the bench for us. I think Herdman would be crazy to start him... provided he’s called up. 

I doubt anyone would pencil him in as a starter but as a set of fresh legs late in a game running directly at a tired defence?   I could see him being effective.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I doubt anyone would pencil him in as a starter but as a set of fresh legs late in a game running directly at a tired defence?   I could see him being effective.  

Yup. He would be a great super sub late in the game. He is not at a high enough level to be a starter yet. Especially now with guys playing in his position at higher levels. He is  a nice depth pice. But I think this guy can have a very bright future. Still jas things to work on. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Very late but only if we’re down and it’s a last ditch effort. He’d be unlikely to play and between covid and his club career just beginning to come good, it makes sense he won’t be on the roster. 

Hope? 

In any event, I'm a bit more bullish about our chances than I was when we first heard the news. Even with missing players we have endless options for what we could do. Buchanan was playing centrally at times yesterday for Brugge and it got me thinking:

-----------David--Ugbo------------

-------------Buchanan---------------

---------Kaye----Hutchinson---------

Adekugbe---------------------Laryea

------Kennedy--Vitoria--Johnston---

---------------Borjan----------------

You could lineup like that and still be spoiled for sub options. I.e. Hoilett >> Buchanan, Larin >> Ugbo, Osorio >> Kaye. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hope? 

In any event, I'm a bit more bullish about our chances than I was when we first heard the news. Even with missing players we have endless options for what we could do. Buchanan was playing centrally at times yesterday for Brugge and it got me thinking:

You could lineup like that and still be spoiled for sub options. I.e. Hoilett >> Buchanan, Larin >> Ugbo, Osorio >> Kaye. 

Yeah hopefully there’s a chance he can make it.  I was hoping for the US game, thinking El Salvador.  I feel like the Honduras one is a reach but who knows.

I like your line up.  When the news broke yesterday about Eustaqiuo’s absence, the panic by some was a bit much.  Just seeing your line up shows we have depth up and down the line up.  

Just now, theaub said:

Why can't they just name him to the roster and he comes if he's available?

They probably will. I think they'll call 25:

Borjan, Crepeau, Pantemis

Kennedy, Vitoria, Adekugbe, Laryea, Johnston, Cornelius, Henry, Miller, Gutierrez

Hutchinson, Piette, Kaye, Osorio, Fraser, Eustaquio

Buchanan, Millar, Ugbo, Larin, Cavallini, David, Hoilett

That's my prediction but if it were up to me I'd add another CM. Priso would be my first choice but I doubt he's up to fitness so I'd go with Teibert. 

7 minutes ago, theaub said:

Why can't they just name him to the roster and he comes if he's available?

It's like the CSA has put a hard cap on Herdman to save $$$ or something. Purely wild speculation on my part.

Unless the hang up is with several players on several teams... then the extra delay may have more merit. Just frustrating lol. 

Edited by canuckgbp

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Hope? 

Sorry how do you start Ugbo over Cyle Larin. He has broken almost every record for scoring in the last year is what 1 goal away from Deros all time record. I get Ugbo has potential and should be a big impact sub but Larin aand David have to start… or am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Sorry how do you start Ugbo over Cyle Larin. He has broken almost every record for scoring in the last year is what 1 goal away from Deros all time record. I get Ugbo has potential and should be a big impact sub but Larin aand David have to start… or am I missing something?

Good question. I agree regarding Larin and he was my Canadian POTY pick.

However, Larin and David don't match up well as strike partners and Herdman seems to acknowledge that as he hasn't had them on the pitch together since match 1. Ugbo is someone who likes to play off the shoulder of defenders. The idea is basically to try a new striker partnership that gets the most out of David, as he's undoubtedly our most talented striker. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

It's like the CSA has put a hard cap on Herdman to save $$$ or something. Purely wild speculation on my part.

I just don’t think that’s the issue.  I think they want him to play and focus on his season.  Develop and not worry about international play barring a dramatic loss in bodies by Covid.  I’m a huge fan of his and his time will come.  If we qualify I believe he’ll be in the squad because his play will accelerate through next year.  I see him for sure at the nations league 

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even though he never said that, I do get a sense that Millar’s pace gets underrated. Davies is obviously a class of his own in that regard and Buchanan is just below that, but Millar is in the Buchanan category when it comes to speed. If we say Buchanan is the 2nd fastest player in the team, Millar would have a shout for 3rd. Corbeanu I am not sure is in our top 5, but he’s pretty fast too. I would say Laryea and maybe David round out the top 5 fastest Canadians? Then maybe Kennedy is around there and perhaps then Corbeanu, etc. Ugbo looks like he has wheels too btw, Adekugbe is pretty quick as well, as is Larin. Lots of speed in the team.

You did not forget underrated speed demon Scott Kennedy, my bad

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

The only argument I could see for Ugbo is his ability to stretch the field. Larin and David want to occupy the same pockets, but Ugbo as far as I understand would stay high, run in behind, and create space by doing so. So there may be a need for that depending on the situation, but on form alone Larin is ahead of Ugbo no question.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Good question. I agree regarding Larin and he was my Canadian POTY pick.

However, Larin and David don't match up well as strike partners. Ugbo is someone who likes to play off the shoulder of defenders. The idea is basically to try a new striker partnership that gets the most out of David, as he's undoubtedly our most talented striker. 

So really important qualifiers away in Honduras  and El Salvador  we need to win especially on the road and we should try something new? Maybe after 60 mins in. Not to start….

5 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Unless the hang up is with several players on several teams... then the extra delay may have more merit. Just frustrating lol. 

I just don't think there's much space for him and he's better off with his club. If we're playing with wingers he's 4/5 on the depth chart. He would be 5/6 on the depth chart for strikers. He's not a wing back. And he's still very green.

Let him develop a little and we'll see him in the spring/summer.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

The only argument I could see for Ugbo is his ability to stretch the field. Larin and David want to occupy the same pockets, but Ugbo as far as I understand would stay high, run in behind, and create space by doing so. So there may be a need for that depending on the situation, but on form alone Larin is ahead of Ugbo no question.

And I completely agree. If Larin and David are struggling to break down the Honduras team bring him on for sure and have him stretch the back line. Go for it after 60 mins and i think that’s the way Herdman will go…

1 minute ago, spitfire said:

So really important qualifiers away in Honduras  and El Salvador  we need to win especially on the road and we should try something new? Maybe after 60 mins in. Not to start….

Agreed. I have been thinking about Ugbo and Honduras quite a bit, because I think we could use his ability to stretch things out, but I think the chances of Herdman trying something new in this situation are slim to none. Most likely a substitute as you said, late in the game when the Hondurans tire.

Just now, spitfire said:

A striker partnership pales in comparison to other ideas we've tried, and pulled off. I.e. 4-2-2-2 vs. USA, Johnston at RCB.

We need to find a way to get David chances.  

Speaking of the Hondurans tiring, I watched this video last night which mentioned that they conceded goals LATE. I had that sense but it wasn’t until I heard this guy go through the goals and times they were conceded that it really hit me. This is probably the single most reason they are struggling. 

Sharing this also just because I like the content. Kind of old school fellow but love the passion and the style of his videos and the analysis is very good and kind of unique. I watched a few more after seeing that preview. Go check it out. 

https://youtu.be/ujStR2k3Sqg