WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

Everything depends on who is called but we may have to get creative at central mid over three games here. Rememer that often strikers are put out at wing positons, or more advanced position forwards are dropped back centrally to play in some lineups or tactically for some games. Sometimes defensive mids have abilities to get forward that are under utilized. 

There is no reason to me we could not try to move wingers or forwards inside for 30 minutes to a couple games if needed. Herdman likes to rotate formations in game. 

Tactical flexibility is key to overcoming this. 

That being said, with players dropping so fast, we have to say we have been warned; covid is a big factor this window. Others could go down, plus injuries, cards and fatigue are risks. We need to call 28 players or as many as permitted. This is only sane planning and things like that get you to World Cups. 

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

That's because after that game they ended up being the worst team in the Octagonal. 

Honestly I know it's sacrilege to criticize Herdman here but I still hate our line up for that game

Yeah, moving Laryea inside there was a baffling decision.  Was so out of place.  Buchanan was really nervous that game.  The first 15 minutes we were great but I’m not sure what happened there after.

The other area where we didn’t see much chemistry was with David and Larin.  I feel like they’ve barely played together since.  I’d like to think they’d mix it up this window and not start them together like in September.

First game, I’d like to see this, assuming they’re there obviously..

David 

Millar             Hoilett         Buchanan    

Osorio             Atiba

Adekugbe  Miller Vitoria Johnston 

That’s a good line up that I’d feel really good with.  You’ve got guys like Kaye, Larin, Ugbo, Kennedy, Henry who you’d have no problem interjecting. Piette later if you’re holding a lead.

** Jesus, I totally forgot Laryea..maybe switch him and Johnston

Edited by EJsens1

11 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Yeah, moving Laryea inside there was a baffling decision.  Was so out of place.  Buchanan was really nervous that game.  The first 15 minutes we were great but I’m not sure what happened there after.

The other area where we didn’t see much chemistry was with David and Larin.  I feel like they’ve barely played together since.  I’d like to think they’d mix it up this window and not start them together like in September.

David 

Osorio             Atiba

That’s a good line up that I’d feel really good with.  You’ve got guys like Kaye, Larin, Ugbo, Kennedy, Henry who you’d have no problem interjecting. Piette later if you’re holding a lead.

nvm i misread the above message

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

53 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

David 

Osorio             Atiba

I like the personnel albeit a few changes, and I would also change the formation.

Stick to what has been working for us with the revolving 3-5-2:

——————David-Larin
Buchanan——-Osorio————Laryea
——————Hutch—Kaye—————
——Miller—-—Vitoria—-—Johnston

If we’re chasing the game, I’ll bring on Corbeanu for Laryea, Hoilett for Osorio, or Ugbo for Larin.

If we’re defending a lead, rotate to a 4-5-1 . Adekugbe for Laryea (LB), Piette for Osorio, Millar for David (RM).

We’ll make light work of those bitches. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I like the personnel albeit a few changes, and I would also change the formation.

——————David-Larin
——————Hutch—Kaye—————

If we’re chasing the game, I’ll bring on Corbeanu for Laryea, Hoilett for Osorio, or Ugbo for Larin.

If we’re defending a lead, rotate to a 4-5-1 . Adekugbe for Laryea (LB), Piette for Osorio, Millar for David (RM).

See I like the idea of one of Osorio or Kaye coming off of the bench for each other, especially in the first game when considering fatigue/game shape.

I’m curious where Ugbo fits in.  Would he work better up top with one of Larin and David as opposed to the latter 2 together.  He’s certainly a very north-south type player.

3 hours ago, Floortom said:

No Demarai Gray or Shemar Nicholson...Leon Bailey is out with injury. A lot will be on Antonio's shoulders.

yeah, i'm surprised at Demarai Gray not being on the roster..

if Antonio is going to be an island it's going to be a frustrating 3 games

Edited by cornerkick

2 hours ago, Shway said:

——————David-Larin
——————Hutch—Kaye—————

Definitely think David needs someone up top with him, but I really want Corbeanu starting. Maybe this?

-----------David----Larin-------

Corbeanu-----Kaye------Buchanan

--------------Hutch----------------

Miller----Vitoria---Johnston--Laryea

9 hours ago, footballfreak said:

This is key.

It is entirely possible Panama takes 3 points or less this window. We can’t count on that, but 2,3 or 4 points seem like the most likely scenarios given their opponents.

If we can add just 1 point to our cushion over Panama before March, we are in very, very good shape. The difference between a 2 point gap and a 3 point gap is massive:

• It ensures we control our own destiny to the very last game. Even in a worst case scenario where we lose games 16 and 17, and Panama takes 6 points, we would still qualify with a win in Panama, provided we don’t give up our GD advantage.
  • If we match Panama’s output in games 16 and 17, we qualify regardless of whether they beat us, provided we don’t give up our GD advantage.
  • A 2 point gap (or less) presents a very simple scenario for Panama where they control their own destiny in March: win 3 games and they qualify no matter what we do. Not a simple task by any means, but the psychological boost is huge.

Obviously 9 points here would be ideal for Canada, but realistically the true barometer of a successful window should be whatever Panama gets +1.

This is hands-own the best analysis in this entire thread. 

8 hours ago, Floortom said:

No Demarai Gray or Shemar Nicholson...Leon Bailey is out with injury. A lot will be on Antonio's shoulders.

And he hasn’t been in a great run of form. Watching him live, looks tired towards the end of matches and there has been a few time he’s gone with a knock and his movement has looked a bit off. 

I like how folks get excited about Corbeanu scoring in League One, where Millar was last year, putting him as a starter even; and then leave Liam off. Liam who is scoring as a pure winger in top flight Switzerland, and in Europe. 

Oh it's just Conference League, I know, where Paços de Ferreira drew Spurs, that level doesn't count.

It's baffling how folks get brainwashed. Do you even watch League One, it can be a very hack level. It's great for a teen needing minutes, that is about it. 

Basel is a team that is regularly in Champions League or at least Europe.

There are even posters here who would put a pure striker with no combination play and little defence who is NOT scoring in Belgium over a winger in Switzerland with team play, assists and defence.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like how folks get excited about Corbeanu scoring in League One, where Millar was last year, putting him as a starter even; and then leave Liam off. Liam who is scoring as a pure winger in top flight Switzerland, and in Europe. 

Oh it's just Conference League, I know, where Paços de Ferreira drew Spurs, that level doesn't count.

It's baffling how folks get brainwashed. Do you even watch League One, it can be a very hack level. It's great for a teen needing minutes, that is about it. 

Basel is a team that is regularly in Champions League or at least Europe.

There are even posters here who would put a pure striker with no combination play and little defence who is NOT scoring in Belgium over a winger in Switzerland with team play, assists and defence.

Who is the striker not scoring in Belgium. Ugbo? 6 goals in 900 minutes doesn't really qualify as "not scoring," especially when most of those are garbage time minutes. 

Millar has had a fantastic season and looked good in friendlies from all accounts, so he should definitely be in the mix. 

As for Corbeanu, he's good enough for the Championship. Both teams he's been on this season constantly rave about him being their only attacking threat. Theo and Liam scored at a very similar clip in League One and Theo is 3 years younger. 

You are a big Millar fan and any fan of the National Team should be. But the same should be said for Corbeanu - who is also a very exciting player. 

I personally don't care if Corbeanu starts - but he should be here and he should play. I also think Millar should get minutes. 

The biggest problem comes with our depth at wing that posters are going to begin picking favourites (like others have done with Corbeanu and you have done with Millar). In reality, Canada is getting to the point where we can move Davies to wingback/leftback (obviously not this window). Theo has also had well over half a dozen pro games at wingback now as well, which is something we may be able to use going forward.

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Isn’t there a rule where you don’t take another pcr test within 60 days of testing positive? 

Yes, you can test positive for 60 days after getting covid, so it’s pretty useless to keep taking the tests, because testing positive doesn’t mean you are currently sick or contagious.

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

As for Corbeanu, he's good enough for the Championship. Both teams he's been on this season constantly rave about him being their only attacking threat. Theo and Liam scored at a very similar clip in League One and Theo is 3 years younger. 

You are a big Millar fan and any fan of the National Team should be. But the same should be said for Corbeanu - who is also a very exciting player. 

I personally don't care if Corbeanu starts - but he should be here and he should play. I also think Millar should get minutes. 

The biggest problem comes with our depth at wing that posters are going to begin picking favourites (like others have done with Corbeanu and you have done with Millar). In reality, Canada is getting to the point where we can move Davies to wingback/leftback (obviously not this window). Theo has also had well over half a dozen pro games at wingback now as well, which is something we may be able to use going forward.

Watching the two MK Dons games, it just is obvious that Corbeanu provides great speed out wide, which we will be lacking without Davies. I love Millar, I think both of them will have a chance to start during the 3 game window. I think most are just hoping the Theo gets called this window

37 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Watching the two MK Dons games, it just is obvious that Corbeanu provides great speed out wide, which we will be lacking without Davies. I love Millar, I think both of them will have a chance to start during the 3 game window. I think most are just hoping the Theo gets called this window

Do you think Theo is faster than Liam? Really? If you have watched him play you have to know speed and direct play is one of his biggest elite traits...at one point Davies and Liam were rumoured to have a race...which I'm sure Davies would have won(especially now after the Bayern bulk up lol)...

Edited by spitfire

20 hours ago, El Hombre said:

No one is going to replace Eustaquio's quality one for one.  That's not up for debate.  However, those that come in in his absence can still do a job.  It just depends on the game plan.

Worried about a high-powered offense like the US?  That is a perfect opportunity for Piette.  He played lights out against them in 2019 and (outside of the first 30 seconds) did quite well against them again in the Gold Cup.

Playing a more attacking game and looking for someone to distribute?  You've got a guy like Fraser that can and has done this in the past.  Also, Tiebert can come in as a ball winner to dish off to someone else who can distribute.  Personally, my darkhorse for Honduras would be someone like Baldisimo.  Imagine him spraying balls out to Buchanan and Millar or dropping them into the box for Larin or David.  Pair him with Hutchinson or Kaye to help win the balls and you might have something there.

This doesn't even consider someone like Paton or moving Hutchinson or Kaye back and bringing someone like Hoillet into the middle.  Or maybe even move Kennedy in front of Vitoria/Miller/Johnston?  Kennedy can move the ball and is quite versatile.

We have options.  None are exactly like Eustaquio, but this is when you change the game plan.

That was Piette and Fraser. I haven’t seen Fraser play like that since and I thought it had a lot to do with Piette. Kaye, Hutch, Osorio and Piette should do it over the window.  Is Hoilett available? That would be huge now without the possibility of Arfield. I think David could also play as a #10. In fact, it hasn’t looked look good with him and Larin up top. At least I’d prefer David in midfield (as he was last match for Lille) than Davies as a striker (which seemed one of Herdman’s mistakes).