WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

7 minutes ago, gator said:

Our opponents will be rubbing their hands in glee, this is horrendous news and I expect we will really struggle to create anything, I'm trying not to be a drama queen here but this window could be really disappointing with all the players missing so far! 

this jersey order aged terribly. 

210FDBE2-F0CD-4EE6-A773-57346F5D2CEF.jpeg.daa33126477c82b33c042aca4afe4e13.jpeg

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Also Honduras and El Salvador are both garbage.

I don't think either are great although Honduras held us at home, it will be much tougher there, at this point I think our best chance for a win might be at ES  we did play their C team there in an important match and failed to beat them, the US may very well be a home loss depending on who is healthy for them! Uhgggggggg!

Just now, jonovision said:

If we're not good enough to beat Honduras and El Salvador without Davies and Eustaquio, we're not good enough to bother playing the games in Qatar if we qualify.

Be honest: are any of the CM's on either of these teams as good as Kaye or Osorio or Hutchinson?

Kaye is good, he’s not a world beater. I actually prefer Oso. Hutch is great but he’s getting old and he can’t do everything he used to be able to do, especially across a three game window. 

At the very least we are sweating a couple games we should not have to sweat. 

First off, this blows.  No denying it or sugar coating it. 

BUT, I would still put our best starting 11 (what’s left of it) up against that of Honduras or ES with some confidence.  David, Larin, Buchanan, Hutch, Laryea, Adekugbe etc.  Other teams may be happy we are missing a couple of high profile guys (and I don’t include Arfield because he hasn’t played forever) but we still have a ton of firepower.   Central midfield will likely hinge on how much work guys like Oso, Kaye and Piette have been doing in the off season - but these guys are pros and know what is on the line.  Our defence is good with Vitoria solid and Kennedy back and in mid season (and I suspect Alistair is always fit).   Throw in the hungry young guys like Liam and Theo (and maybe Mitrovic…?) and we can still do this.  The game against a full strength US side may be tough but I still expect no less than 4 and possibly still 6.  

Back away from the ledge boys.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

BUT, I would still put our best starting 11 (what’s left of it) up against that of Honduras or ES with some confidence.  David, Larin, Buchanan, Hutch, Laryea, Adekugbe etc.  Other teams may be happy we are missing a couple of high profile guys (and I don’t include Arfield because he hasn’t played forever) but we still have a ton of firepower.   Central midfield will likely hinge on how much work guys like Oso, Kaye and Piette have been doing in the off season - but these guys are pros and know what is on the line.  Our defence is good with Vitoria solid and Kennedy back and in mid season (and I suspect Alistair is always fit).   Throw in the hungry young guys like Liam and Theo (and maybe Mitrovic…?) and we can still do this.  The game against a full strength US side may be tough but I still expect no less than 4 and possibly still 6.  

Herdman better throw everything at the away games and be smart who he is using for the home game.  This feels like the beginning of the away Mexico argument all over again, but we need to rest players against the US at this point.

Edited by trc2014

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I want to take your energy into 2022. 😃

Can you spare some chi? 

14 minutes ago, frattinator said:

Obviously this is terrible terrible news, but does this open the door for a mitrovic call up? They don’t play in the same position but I don’t see us calling anyone else in fringes who play in a similar position (Paton?).

This. Call up Mitrovic to play as the 10 and have Oso drop back to his more natural 8 spot

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

He wouldn’t be able to leave his house within 5 days due to Portuguese isolation requirements 

If he tested positive yesterday then Thursday he would be out of isolation. 

If he is feeling okay and if he tests negative and if his scans come back clean he could in theory make it to hamilton for the Sunday game.