WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

2 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

20$ on Canada to win the World Cup at the very beginning of the WCQ campaign at 1000/1 odds... that cash out option on 365 could very well help me make my decision if i fly out to Qatar or not 🤑

Will actually let you cash out if we only qualify. 

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

Everyone predicting all these wins in Central America need to check what has happened to every team that has ever gone down there. Then need to show us they can win one first, then I’ll start to really think Qatar is possible. 

Every other team that has gone down and lost in the last 20 years has almost universally been a worse team than their Central American opponent on the day. It will be tough, but being a more talented and organized squad makes it easier.

I get that winning away in the warmer climates has always been a (virtually insurmountable) challenge for us but there is no way we are bound by those precedents.  This team has torn up the depressing Canadian playbook when it comes to historical results.  We got 4 of 6 points against Mexico.  This is not your father’s CMNT.  We can go down to ES or Honduras and get wins.  

6 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Did anyone mention we are top of another table:

image.png.6d8b3d0b7bc6353cd69a6e77f106d38c.png

Great numbers for Canada, especially considering the lowest number was due to restrictions, but it doesn't mean anything to be on the top of an unordered table. We are 2nd by the "Highest" column, 3rd by the "Lowest" column, and 3rd by the "Average" column. We are only first alphabetically, or tied in first by the number of games or the empty "Rank" column.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get that winning away in the warmer climates has always been a (virtually insurmountable) challenge for us but there is no way we are bound by those precedents.  This team has torn up the depressing Canadian playbook when it comes to historical results.  We got 4 of 6 points against Mexico.  This is not your father’s CMNT.  We can go down to ES or Honduras and get wins.  

Last win in Central America was a totally meaningless WCQ in 2004, after Canada had been eliminated from advancing. (For reference, Guatemala destroyed us 2-0 @ Swangard in August, and the scoreline flattered us IIRC.)

Before that, we beat El Salvador in 1996 to qualify for the Hex. Another meaningless game as both teams had qualified after beating Panama, but at least we beat ES home & away that year. Last meaningful win was a 1993 friendly over Costa Rica; last competitive win was the 1985 Honduras match that arguably qualified us for the World Cup as much as St. John's did.

So 25-36 years of futility in Central America isn't something I'm taking for granted. Looking forward to more positive results "kicking ass and taking names" tour, but not predicting anything just yet....

Just now, pod818 said:

VAR to be introduced for the rest of the octagonal.

Honestly, this is good timing for us and should help in questionable Central American pitches, with hostile crowds and poor referees 

Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Two blatant fouls come to mind in the Gold Cup game against the Americans. They had VAR in the Gold Cup. We got screwed all the same. The US and Mexico are CONCACA's cash cows. They will twist themselves into pretzels not to disrupt the milking of those cows.

17 hours ago, Alex said:

Everyone predicting all these wins in Central America need to check what has happened to every team that has ever gone down there. Then need to show us they can win one first, then I’ll start to really think Qatar is possible. 

This is why that win versus Mexico was humongous.   We needed one win against either of Mex or US for the reasons you mentioned.  And, because the January window will be the off season for many of our player and we have fewer home games left than Panama.   Plus that final game is in Panama.  

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Feels wrong to make this decision mid-way through a tournament.

I disagree. That's like saying a referee should never change his initial decision. If it's the right thing to do, do it, I don't care how you got there. 

Now if we can retroactively have some red cards handed out to the El Salvador Larin... that would be nice. 

The next window sets up perfectly for us.

We face an all but eliminated Honduras first - expect a milder atmosphere than years past

We get USA at home in January 

We get El Salvador away in the 3rd match by this stage I expect they're all but eliminated and we'll be facing an exhausted squad, or B lineup, with little crowd enthusiasm.

I don't think 7-9 points is unobtainable but even 4-5 and we're in good shape.

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Maybe it will. Maybe it won't. Two blatant fouls come to mind in the Gold Cup game against the Americans. They had VAR in the Gold Cup. We got screwed all the same. The US and Mexico are CONCACA's cash cows. They will twist themselves into pretzels not to disrupt the milking of those cows.

Yes, I get the feeling that the  timing of this is purely to protect Mexico & USA. Hopefully we get included in that protected group

One interesting note from Honduras: Maynor Figueroa announced his retirement from international football. 

Edit: https://www.elheraldo.hn/deportes/1502959-466/maynor-figueroa-seleccion-honduras-eliminatoria-qatar-2022

Seems he has actually left the door open. His comments after the Panama loss were a bit more final.

Edited by CanadaFan123

23 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I think so but then again I think we end up with 2 wins and a draw with us beating Honduras and El Salvador but drawing with the US

I suspect the travel will catch up to the team for the El Salvador game.  Hopefully, El Salvador will have packed it in by the time we visit.  They next play the US and Honduras.  If they lose those games, they won't have a realistic chance at the 4th spot. 

All very exciting!!!

1 minute ago, B-Lo said:

I suspect the travel will catch up to the team for the El Salvador game.  Hopefully, El Salvador will have packed it in by the time we visit.  They next play the US and Honduras.  If they lose those games, they won't have a realistic chance at the 4th spot. 

All very exciting!!!

that`s why we need to bring an extended squad for the Jan window plus to cover for out of season MLS players