WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

7 minutes ago, Califax said:

Respectfully to everyone talking about depth at mid, I just don’t see it. Heaven forbid a centre mid takes a red card. Our depth goes out the window

No one is going to replace Eustaquio's quality one for one.  That's not up for debate.  However, those that come in in his absence can still do a job.  It just depends on the game plan.

Worried about a high-powered offense like the US?  That is a perfect opportunity for Piette.  He played lights out against them in 2019 and (outside of the first 30 seconds) did quite well against them again in the Gold Cup.

Playing a more attacking game and looking for someone to distribute?  You've got a guy like Fraser that can and has done this in the past.  Also, Tiebert can come in as a ball winner to dish off to someone else who can distribute.  Personally, my darkhorse for Honduras would be someone like Baldisimo.  Imagine him spraying balls out to Buchanan and Millar or dropping them into the box for Larin or David.  Pair him with Hutchinson or Kaye to help win the balls and you might have something there.

This doesn't even consider someone like Paton or moving Hutchinson or Kaye back and bringing someone like Hoillet into the middle.  Or maybe even move Kennedy in front of Vitoria/Miller/Johnston?  Kennedy can move the ball and is quite versatile.

We have options.  None are exactly like Eustaquio, but this is when you change the game plan.

5 minutes ago, Wayverider said:

I almost want to consider cheering for the US or England JUST SO I CAN BE WITH A CONFIDENT FAN BASE!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Canadian through and through and the boys are going to weather this storm and come out on top. Perhaps not the 9 points we are normally capable of but we'll be fine. This moment in time is when last summer's Gold Cup experience serves us best going forward. Does anyone recall who were were missing in a Gold Cup that we played brilliantly at?

MISSING: Davies, Borjan, David, Adekugbe, Hutchinson, Kennedy, Millar

Ugbo hadn't joined yet, 

As the tourney progressed we lost Larin

In a game against the US that we totally dominated in possession and shots, 14-6 (but lost 1-0). Eustaquio DID NOT DRESS!

NEXT MAN UP!!!

C'mon boys, get your heads out of the that hidden crevice referred to as your ass-hole - We've come this far and we're not yielding to fear now. The only thing I'm stressed about is this Covid ticket fiasco and the possibility of not landing a pair in Hamilton. Canada will be playing in Qatar!

I like your optimism man and I wish I my brain could do what you're doing. But I just can't...  

- We had Eustaquio at the Gold Cup  

- Other teams were not playing their A teams (they will be playing A teams in WCQ)

The difference between this version of the CMNT and previous ones is that this really is a TEAM and  a coaching staff that is well prepared. Not having Davies and Staq is huge but we are where we are because all players that have see the field have  made contributions. I get the disappointment, but lets not disrespect the rest of our players who got us here. Guys like Piette/Kaye/Osorio & Millar are itching to start and I fully believe we can get the results we need. Laryea can also play as a mid. Look at how Maxime stepped up in window 2 to get that away tie v Mexico. We have been down a goal 4 times in WCQ and have come back to get a result. That shows mental toughness. I think many of us have a bigger problem about the ghosts of past than the players/coaches. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

The difference between this version of the CMNT and previous ones is that this really is a TEAM and  a coaching staff that is well prepared. Not having Davies and Staq is huge but we are where we are because all players that have see the field have  made contributions. I get the disappointment, but lets not disrespect the rest of our players who got us here. Guys like Piette/Kaye/Osorio & Millar are itching to start and I fully believe we can get the results we need. Laryea can also play as a mid. Look at how Maxime stepped up in window 2 to get that away tie v Mexico. We have been down a goal 4 times in WCQ and have come back to get a result. That shows mental toughness. I think many of us have a bigger problem about the ghosts of past than the players/coaches. 

Yes of course many of have the ghosts of the pass on our minds when we look at these last 6 games left of qualifying. How can you blame us for not having this past history on our minds . The only way to get us over the ghosts of the past is to qualify and until we do these ghosts of the past for some of us will always be there no matter where we are in the standings at this point . We still have 6 games left a long way to go for some of us .

1 hour ago, David Pinto said:

Just a reminder:

Panama is away to CR and Mexico and home (empty stadium) to jamacia this window

This is key.

It is entirely possible Panama takes 3 points or less this window. We can’t count on that, but 2,3 or 4 points seem like the most likely scenarios given their opponents.

If we can add just 1 point to our cushion over Panama before March, we are in very, very good shape. The difference between a 2 point gap and a 3 point gap is massive:

• It ensures we control our own destiny to the very last game. Even in a worst case scenario where we lose games 16 and 17, and Panama takes 6 points, we would still qualify with a win in Panama, provided we don’t give up our GD advantage.
  • If we match Panama’s output in games 16 and 17, we qualify regardless of whether they beat us, provided we don’t give up our GD advantage.
  • A 2 point gap (or less) presents a very simple scenario for Panama where they control their own destiny in March: win 3 games and they qualify no matter what we do. Not a simple task by any means, but the psychological boost is huge.

Obviously 9 points here would be ideal for Canada, but realistically the true barometer of a successful window should be whatever Panama gets +1.

18 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Yes of course many of have the ghosts of the pass on our minds when we look at these last 6 games left of qualifying. How can you blame us for not having this past history on our minds . The only way to get us over the ghosts of the past is to qualify and until we do these ghosts of the past for some of us will always be there no matter where we are in the standings at this point . We still have 6 games left a long way to go for some of us .

Let’s get a bit of a grip here.  Yes, we’ve lost 2 great players here in the last week.  It sucks.  We also have a good team and good depth based on what I’ve seen for myself and read on this board, just in the last few days in fact since just before 9am today.  Good teams find a way.  There aren’t ghosts or a jinx screwing this up, it’s a world wide pandemic unfortunately.  It could have been Piette and Cavallini who got this and would you be saying the same thing?  Chances are no. Again, it sucks to lose these players.  I appreciate the impact Eustaqiuo brings.  We’ve put ourselves in a good spot so if we have a slip in a window, we aren’t crippling our chances.  Let’s all take a breath here 

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Reality is that 9 points was always going to be difficult, but I think 6 should be expected and the minimum, we have depth now and there’s not reason to not get 6 points here.

it’s a marathon, not a sprint and we were always going to need to overcome injuries to our best players, part of being good is being able to do that.

I'd kind of prefer 5 points from this window than 6. Obviously, I'd be delighted with 9, 7, 6, or 5, but 6 means that we've lost a game, while 5 has us unbeaten going into the last window. I'd imagine there's a bit of an intangible morale boost to be had from being undefeated.

4 hours ago, pod818 said:

Let’s be positive. We are in first place. The team has played beyond our expectations to give themselves this cushion. We can still do what we need to do to qualify. Just need to grind this next window out. Next man up mentality. Herdman will put together a good game plan. I believe this is why they didn’t release a roster early.

In the grand scheme of things we can afford a "stinker" window of 3 points that puts us at 19 total and around 3rd or 4th spot. We know that last game against Panama was always going to be the decider. 

19 minutes ago, Fullback said:

Enough with all the doom and gloom in here jeez…

Every window this cycle has shown how this squad is different than past groups. I don’t expect this window to be any different. Guys will step up, we’ll be fine

As long as our expectations are. I will be content with 3-4 points this window.

We are due for a loss anyways, did anybody really think we were going to finish the octagonal with no losses? Its going to be a bumpy ride from here on out.

Tough to lose Eustaquio, and he will need to be replaced by committee.  But it doesn't change expectations for me, that we should be targeting a point on the road.  If we can draw on the road, I'll be very happy even though a win would delight me.  But expectations cannot change, no matter how many players we are down because we are a team!

1 hour ago, Fullback said:

Enough with all the doom and gloom in here jeez…

Every window this cycle has shown how this squad is different than past groups. I don’t expect this window to be any different. Guys will step up, we’ll be fine

Should we start another thread for the doom and gloom or…

To think with our squad we should not be going for a win in Honduras, I find that incredible. In the Mexico game, to give an example, he was largely closed down by the rival mids. So it is not like we have relied on him every match. In general, he has been very reliable and brings other things, like fitness, pace, intensity. Nice set pieces. 

As mentioned, we replace him by committee, I like that expression. 

No point bemoaning Covid because Covid gave us the Octo and before it we were out of the HEX and nowhere near Qatar. So Covid can't be our bad luck, let it be one thing we get out of this mess, this second chance at a WC.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

To think with our squad we should not be going for a win in Honduras, I find that incredible. In the Mexico game, to give an example, he was largely closed down by the rival mids. So it is not like we have relied on him every match. In general, he has been very reliable and brings other things, like fitness, pace, intensity. Nice set pieces. 

As mentioned, we replace him by committee, I like that expression. 

No point bemoaning Covid because Covid gave us the Octo and before it we were out of the HEX and nowhere near Qatar. So Covid can't be our bad luck, let it be one thing we get out of this mess, this second chance at a WC.

I just don’t get this view on Honduras.  4 months ago we were one amazing save and goal post away from losing to them at home.  This immediate write-off of them is pretty baffling.  They have had an awful round of qualifying, but they are still dangerous. I would argue there forwards are top 4-5 in concacaf.

Just now, trc2014 said:

I just don’t get this view on Honduras.  4 months ago we were one amazing save and goal post away from losing to them at home.  This immediate write-off of them is pretty baffling.  They have had an awful round of qualifying, but they are still dangerous. I would argue there forwards are top 4-5 in concacaf.

That's because after that game they ended up being the worst team in the Octagonal. 

Honestly I know it's sacrilege to criticize Herdman here but I still hate our line up for that game

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

don't think anyone is saying Honduras is a write off, just that we are better, despite Davies & Staq. Canada and Honduras have gone different directions since that first game. Us (up) and them (down). Could we slip up? Sure ,but we should not go into that game without the expectation to come away with 3 points

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

That's because after that game they ended up being the worst team in the Octagonal. 

Honestly I know it's sacrilege to criticize Herdman here but I still hate our line up for that game

the good news is that Herdman has shown the ability to learn from prior experiences