WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

16 minutes ago, shamrock said:

5 or 6 points in this window would be great. Honduras and El Salvador are weak, but have home-advantage. These two should be 4 points alone which would keep us on track for de World Cup. Every point we can get more in this window is a bonus.  

We really need Panama to falter here as well.  For them to get as few points as possible is just as important.  Yes I know the argument is just do what we have to do and we will control our fate, but let’s be honest here.  We’re all going to be scoreboard watching

Edited by EJsens1

30 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

We really need Panama to falter here as well.  For them to get as few points as possible is just as important.  Yes I know the argument is just do what we have to do and we will control our fate, but let’s be honest here.  We’re all going to be scoreboard watching

I don't disagree, I just think it's extremely hard to be consistent playing 3 games all over the continent in 7 days. That goes for ALL teams. I can't imagine Panama picking up 9 or even 7 points this window, especially with two away games in CR and Mex. 

40 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I don't disagree, I just think it's extremely hard to be consistent playing 3 games all over the continent in 7 days. That goes for ALL teams. I can't imagine Panama picking up 9 or even 7 points this window, especially with two away games in CR and Mex. 

Yup, these three game windows are very condensed and its going to be a struggle.  Only three instances of anyone picking up more than 5 points (Mexico in both and US in second window).  

My prediction is that we will see 5 points as a massive success this window if it happens.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I can't decide what outcome is better from the Costa Rica - Panama match.  As much as we'd like to see Panama not collect points a Costa Rica win would put them on 12 which would bring a 5th team back into contention.  Perhaps a draw is the answer.

To me the target is 24 points to qualify, which means Costa Rica needs five wins out of six to get there (and they travel to Azteca in this window).  Will be more than happy to see them keep Panama at bay. 

Edited by theaub

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I can't decide what outcome is better from the Costa Rica - Panama match.  As much as we'd like to see Panama not collect points a Costa Rica win would put them on 12 which would bring a 5th team back into contention.  Perhaps a draw is the answer.

A draw wouldn't be bad but a Costa Rica win is my preference. Costa Rica isn't making the top 3. 

If Panama has a one point window and we get 5+ we are all but qualified. 

Just posting the schedule as a reminder for everyone.  If we could draw it up, in my opinion, I’d rather see the Costa Rica-Panama game tied the more I think about it.  If they (Costa Rica) have any hope, not getting 3 points there basic eliminates them and assures us at least the playoff spot assuming we can put up 4-5 points this round.  Then you want to see Panama lose after that and be stuck on 15 points.  Really need Jamaica to put in a heavy for us here unlike those bastards last window in Honduras.  Of course, I should add, after the first day of games next Thursday, this response might be the most useless piece of literature ever written based on the results 

1548EF3C-DB09-4083-93A3-F89F21C2A0B7.jpeg

Edited by EJsens1

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

@EJsens1allow me to suggest a scenario where CR beat Panama, draw Jamaica and lose to Mexico, with Panama losing all 3. Keeps Panama on 14, brings CR to 13, and Jamaica to 11 and us to the doorstep of Qatar, if not over it

You could be right.  I’m wavering here on what scenario would be best.  I guess I’m being a Debbie downer here by looking at this from a worst case scenario where Canada bombs this window with like 2 points or something. If we roll through this window with like 6 points or more, it’s off to the races

Just now, gator said:

Will anyone who isn't a hockey geek recognize any of the names?

I mean... I am a hockey geek. So I will. 

But I'd imagine so. Some recent draft picks are expected to make the team (Owen Power, Kaiden Guhle). Some ex NHL'ers also have a good shot (Eric Staal, Devan Dubnyk, etc). 

I'd imagine people will know more of these names than they do the World Juniors and they still watch those games! 

4 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m surprised they are going with such a small squad.  With covid and quite a few guys on yellows, I’d have thought more guys would be involved.  I get the standby aspect but come on 

I agree was hoping for an extended squad. Trying to find the positives, I guess less players travelling minimizes COVID risk? If we need to call guys in, MLS camps are all ongoing so I guess the advantage is the standby list players are training daily with their club as opposed to a handful of light training sessions tops once camp is properly underway

Wheeler's tweet doesn't sound like Mitrovic has been called in tho

10 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m surprised they are going with such a small squad.  With covid and quite a few guys on yellows, I’d have thought more guys would be involved.  I get the standby aspect but come on 

Any ideas which injured players from last window he is referencing?  Only Kennedy comes to mind;can’t be Hoilett?

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

I agree was hoping for an extended squad. Trying to find the positives, I guess less players travelling minimizes COVID risk? If we need to call guys in, MLS camps are all ongoing so I guess the advantage is the standby list players are training daily with their club as opposed to a handful of light training sessions tops once camp is properly underway

Wheeler's tweet doesn't sound like Mitrovic has been called in tho

24 players just seems too thin. With the prospect of suspensions, COVID and general fatigue playing 3 matches in 7 days with 21 outfield players it just doesn't seem wise. Panama called 30, Mexico called 30, Panama called 25... I expect the USA to call at least 27. 

Just now, trc2014 said:

Any ideas which injured players from last window he is referencing?  Only Kennedy comes to mind;can’t be Hoilett?

We really don't know about Hoilett. He came off with a knock but people are just speculating that he's picked up an injury that will keep him out.

Wheeler's wording makes me think that Hoilett is coming in for Davies, Kennedy is coming in for Cornelius or Henry and Gutierrez is coming in as an extra WB. Corbeanu might not be called.