WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

19 minutes ago, archer21 said:

We also have the option of moving Johnston to RB if we move Laryea to LB and go to a back 4. I agree though, it’d probably be smart to bring one of Gutierrez/ZBG.

And you have to think Herdman loves having a guy like Cava in the side who can speak Spanish and will not be intimidated by anything the players and fans in central america might throw at him. (Aside from grenades and heavy artillery, but even then...) Expect some shithousery.

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

And you have to think Herdman loves having a guy like Cava in the side who can speak Spanish and will not be intimidated by anything the players and fans in central america might throw at him. (Aside from grenades and heavy artillery, but even then...) Expect some shithousery.

Given the number of cards we’ve racked up, shithousery needs to be kept to a minimum. Cav instigating a line brawl in Honduras or El Salvador is the last thing we need.

50 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Given the number of cards we’ve racked up, shithousery needs to be kept to a minimum. Cav instigating a line brawl in Honduras or El Salvador is the last thing we need.

On the contrary, I think part of that shithousery should be a plan of tactical yellows to clear our boys. For example, to my knowledge we've never seen both Henry and Vitoria play together. So presumably whichever starts vs Honduras probably won't vs the US and, if things are going according to plan, should take a cheeky yellow to clear their name the next game

57 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

Is the plan still for the MNT to setup and practice in Florida late this week, before heading over to Honduras?

Good question. I think they were to meet in Florida on the Monday. I'm not sure, I might be wrong. 

The CSA has been mum on everything. Its annoying..but also impressive.

Will this be the window where Jamaica falls entirely out of contention?  I predict a loss to Mexico, a tie versus Costa Rica (maybe the win).  A tie vs. Costa Rica might mean both Jamaica and Costa Rica, all things being equal, might both be out of contention after this window.  

What are we, reasonably, expecting by way of minimum points from this round, for Canada:  3?  5? The full 9?

I am thinking 4 at minimum. But Herdman and the lads keep out performing my expectations. Tricky window, for sure. And no Davies.

5 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Will this be the window where Jamaica falls entirely out of contention?  I predict a loss to Mexico, a tie versus Costa Rica (maybe the win).  A tie vs. Costa Rica might mean both Jamaica and Costa Rica, all things being equal, might both be out of contention after this window.  

What are we, reasonably, expecting by way of minimum points from this round, for Canada:  3?  5? The full 9?

I am thinking 4 at minimum. But Herdman and the lads keep out performing my expectations. Tricky window, for sure. And no Davies.

4 at minimum I’d think. We’d still have a shot at top 3 with less but it’d be a poor window to finish with less than 4. 5-7 points and we’re laughing.

1 hour ago, David Pinto said:

8 days til we play... when will the roster drop. 

One of the few things this team has left to prove in CONCACAF is they can handle Central America. I believe the leadership group and Herdman will have them well prepared for these games. 

As per Galindo on Twitter he said potentially Thursday, most likely Friday 

This might be a poor received take - but Ive been wondering for the away games this window whether the team will be better or worse without Phonzie.  

No question he will be a huge loss for the US game, but in most Canada games, we have seen instances where he tries to do too much.  This has proven to be even more detrimental on poor pitches, which is something the team will face in the away games this window.  That being said, I think this might be countered by the concern he brings and required focus opponents are made to put his way when he is on the pitch.  This opens opportunities for other players to impact the game.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

This might be a poor received take - but Ive been wondering for the away games this window whether the team will be better or worse without Phonzie.  

No question he will be a huge loss for the US game, but in most Canada games, we have seen instances where he tries to do too much.  This has proven to be even more detrimental on poor pitches, which is something the team will face in the away games this window.  That being said, I think this might be countered by the concern he brings and required focus opponents are made to put his way when he is on the pitch.  This opens opportunities for other players to impact the game.

It's a good point. On poor pitches away to Haiti and Jamaica he was largely ineffective but you can't take away from the fact that even then he was forcing the other team to adapt and focus on him. His speed alone is something teams need to account for at all times. But yes, he was often caught trying to do too much.

Is Honduras' pitch that bad though? I can't imagine it being worse than what we dealt with in the Caribbean. They also have some skilled players and will be facing El Salvador after us in a game they should control so I don't think it would be in their best interest to make it a cow patch. 

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Interesting take. 

Overall, I actually think Davies has been great in the away games and poor in the home games (or perhaps more accurately hot and cold). Maybe because he's trying too hard to impress at home versus putting in professional performances on the road?

Here's the grades I would give him so far:

Honduras home - C

USA away - +B

Jamaica away - B

Mexico away - A

Panama home - +A

Costa Rica home - +C

Mexico home - -B

12 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Felt like the Edmonton pressure brought out a try too hard performance in Phonzie. No doubt we are better with him of course but provided we have everyone else available we can certainly cope without him. Shame it happened in a 3 game window not a 2 though. The squad will need stretching and players resting. 

The thing with Davies is that even if he's having an off game or doing too much, the very fact he is on the field means the opposition needs to have a plan for handling him, which often means overloading his side. Without him out there, they do not have to think as conservatively.

Now, having said that, if we've got Tajon and Miller and Corbeanu and Laryea and Adekugbe whipping down the flanks, then I am all for the opposition underestimating the rest of our team speed.

47 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

El Salvador roster announced 

Out from last window: Christian Sorto (Rio Grande Valley FC), Damian Alguera (Philadelphia Union II), Melvin Cartagena (Once Deportivo), Pablo Punyed (Vikingur Reykjavik)

In: Romulo Villalobos (Municipal Limeno), Narciso Orellano (Alianza), Eric Calvillo (El Paso Locamotive),  Cristian Gil (Isidro Metapan), Nelson Bonilla (Port)

Edited by footballfreak

Just now, footballfreak said:

Out from last window: Enrico Hernandez (Vitesse), Christian Sorto (Rio Grande Valley FC), Damian Alguera (?), Melvin Cartagena (Once Deportivo), Pablo Punyed (Vikingur Reykjavik)

In:Romulo Villalobos, Narciso Orellano, Eric Calvillo, Enrico Dueñas, Cristian Gil, Nelson Bonilla, 

Enrico Dueñas =  Enrico Hernandez