WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

In 2014 qualifying Mexico were in the Intercontinental playoff.

Perhaps it's time people stop assuming they will always waltz through Concacaf and qualify. 

After this cycle, CONCACAF is set to have something like 6 automatic spots and 2 playoff spots. Mexico is never missing another World Cup, unless they change the format back or they get banned for overage youth players again.

Edit: it’s only 1 playoff spot after 2026. The extra playoff spot goes to the host confederation.

Edited by footballfreak

8 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

ok... so not sure if this belongs in a new thread, but what is the plan for the MNT during the summer?  organize a camp or two, and have some friendlies across the country? 

We won't probably do friendlies until the fall and those will probably be our victory your.

22 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just remember that Honduras, with arguably the worst final round qualifying performance in Concacaf WCQ history, was gifted this spot in the Ocho, and were if not for a COVID- caused format change, we wouldn’t even be here but fighting for a chance to play the 4th team. 

As it stands now the unwashed sides (ie.: the sides that were not gifted a spot in the ocho and would have been relegated ONLY to the intercontinental route) currently sit 1st, 4th and 6th. 

Now it looks like two of those three sides will qualify, which would have been impossible in the pre pandemic format.

Edited by Free kick

33 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

This is .... not true? 

Even if we win and Panama loses, we are 8 pts up on them with 3 games to go.

Eating dinner so I’m not about to type out all the permutations, but the other poster is right. A win against El Salvador and a Panama-Mexico draw clinches, but a result either way would not.

In the event of a draw, we would not clinch finishing ahead of Panama, but that scenario would preclude all three of USA, Mexico and Panama from finishing ahead of us because of the games remaining between those three.

2 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Eating dinner so I’m not about to type out all the permutations, but the other poster is right. A win against El Salvador and a Panama-Mexico draw clinches, but a result either way would not.

In the event of a draw, we would not clinch finishing ahead of Panama, but that scenario would preclude all three of USA, Mexico and Panama from finishing ahead of us because of the games remaining between those three.

That's what I said,  it is all cooked if you get the 3 from El Salvador and they draw in Mexico

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

As it stands now the unwashed sides (ie.: the sides that were not gifted a spot in the ocho and would have relegate ONLY to the intercontinental route) currently sit 1st, 4th and 6th. 

I also think Haiti and Suriname were hard done by drawing us in the prelims.  

We'll never know for sure but I suspect if Suriname made the Oct there would have been substantially more Dutch recruits.

4 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

We'll never know for sure but I suspect if Suriname made the Oct there would have been substantially more Dutch recruits.

Surinam would have been better than some of the sides we saw in the Ocho. 

5 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Kind of , as for Curaçao.  Jamaica is underperforming because their Federation is run by muppets.  They have very good players but there isnt any cohesion in the team.  It is like they don't know each other, they are guessing passes etc.  On paper Panama has less good players than the Jamaicans, but they have a spine, and a team.  Jamaica needed an Argentinian or Uruguayan coach.  

Edited by JAVIERF