WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Panama has Mexico and USA left. Costa Rica has Mexico (today) and USA left. Mexico and USA have each other. Tough to imagine a scenario where Panama and/or Costa Rica make a run without knocking Mexico and USA out of the picture.

Panama are 1 point behind USA if they hold on v Jamaica 

Just now, jonovision said:

So what do we like in Mex-CRC? A Mexico win and the tiny chance of Costa Rica passing us is gone. On the other hand, a Costa Rica win leaves us 4 points clear at the top of the table with a healthy GD advantage.

I'm down for a draw in that one, and a Costa Rica win against Jamaica in a few days. Sure, it'll mean that we'll face a very motivated CR side in San Jose in March, but it'll clog up the table below us while we remain aloof of the bare-knuckle brawl for spots 2-4.

10 minutes ago, jonovision said:

So what do we like in Mex-CRC? A Mexico win and the tiny chance of Costa Rica passing us is gone. On the other hand, a Costa Rica win leaves us 4 points clear at the top of the table with a healthy GD advantage.

Mathematically, Mexico winning is best - would basically guanatee us top 4

Psychologically, Costa Rica winning is best - even though mathematically I know a CR loss is better, I'm pulling for them watching it

Realistically, a draw would be fine. We're basically going through already and I don't think CR can pull off a win

Edited by rydermike

12 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I guess a Mexico win would be best, basically eliminates CR (as a threat to us, at least). Mexico - Panama on Wednesday is a big one for us.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Jamaica ES and Honduras can’t catch us, a Mexican win would officially guarantee 4th place for us.

A Mexico win over Costa Rica wouldn't officially guarantee us 4th yet, it'd just get us pretty damn close. Costa Rica would still have the potential to hit 24. It's a Mexico win over CR and a Can win over El Slavador that guantees 4th

Panama is sure making it interesting, only being 1 point behind the US with 4 matches remaining. The US probably increases the gap Wednesday (home to Honduras as opposed to away at Mexico), but it could get interesting considering they face each other in March.

I don't know if yellow cards from qualifying carry over into the World Cup, but if they do, another nice thing about having everything wrapped up before the final match is we could get those cleared by the time qualifying is over. It wouldn't matter who was missing for the Panama game. It would be better to get more players back on a clean slate for the start of the tournament.