WCQ: Third Round - Window 4 (January 27- February 2, 2022)

Shway

With us gaining the maximum 6 points last window, it put us at the top of the table going into the new year.
This time around, we're back to a 3 game window where the boys will be on the road twice. One of them being a return to an ill-fated ground where we hope to banish those memories. John Herdman will be preaching max points again, however I think a minimum of 6pts will be solid enough to continue our mission to Qatar.

Game #1
Date: January 27th, 2022
Vs: Honduras
Time: TBD

Game #2
Date: January 30th, 2022
Vs: USA
Time: 3:00 PM EST

Game #3
Date: February 2nd, 2022
Vs: El Salvador
Time: TBD

Guys on yellow cards:

Adekugbe
Kaye
Eustáquio
Piette
Vitoria
Laryea
Henry
Brym

The table going into this window

image.png.b45137fdde7ae749291e4de3b537d85d.png

Edited by Shway

With the 3 games, so many guys on yellows, and then also factoring in the guys who's season will be on break. I think (I hope) we see our largest squad yet with guys like Kennedy, Hoilett , and possibly even Fraser returning to the squad. 

I think squad rotation will naturally happen due to those factors.

Who knows maybe we see one of Jebbison or Flores lol.

If what Berhalter did in the last three game window happens in this window its a good chance the US brings a more rotated squad to Canada for the middle game and focuses on pulling max points from the two home games....hence the US lost in Panama and won the two home games vs Jamaica and Costa Rica

Interesting thoughts for squad selection...if its close between a guy based in Europe vs a MLS guy, you'd almost have to call the Euro based player just because they are in-season

You'd have to think CSA has an extended Camp Poutine in Florida for the MLS guys they are calling just to knock the rust off because some of them will absolutely be needed..

13 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Is it possible for some of our MLS guys to get short term loans to teams in England or Europe?  Training is 1 thing but these guys will be off for over 2 months.  Crazy thought but could they go to tier 3 England or tier 2 Europe for 6 weeks after a well deserved break?

They wouldn't be allowed to join until January 1.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. and I believe. 

I wasn't considering going to Qatar....but with us potentially qualifying, I've heavily reconsidered.

20$ on Canada to win the World Cup at the very beginning of the WCQ campaign at 1000/1 odds... that cash out option on 365 could very well help me make my decision if i fly out to Qatar or not 🤑

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

I'm from Vancouver and very much wanting to see the US game played at BC Place but I think we have to go with Toronto on this one simply because of travel.  Flight down to Honduras / El Salvador 3-4 hours shorter from Toronto.  That saves 12-16 hours.  It also saves time for those coming from Europe.

I think Toronto (or Montreal) is the logical choice here.

With 3 wins through the final 6, and according to most predictions, will be enough to send us through. So assuming we win our home games, that means we will need AT LEAST one road win (probably two bc those are two tough tough home games). Honduras is a dumpster fire currently so I think we HAVE to pick up those 3 points away. I'd argue 3 points away to El Salvador is also a must win but given their current form, Honduras takes precedent.

I think 9 points is marvellous but if we aim for 7, we will be happy. This will be the window that decides our fate. 

59 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

20$ on Canada to win the World Cup at the very beginning of the WCQ campaign at 1000/1 odds... that cash out option on 365 could very well help me make my decision if i fly out to Qatar or not 🤑

36938599_Capturedecranle2021-11-17a14_25_51.png.789d9d8239b73eba9d35ccf35180d876.pngI bet this a couple weeks after the 2018 world cup. A little mad I didn't put more now haha 

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

Interesting thoughts for squad selection...if its close between a guy based in Europe vs a MLS guy, you'd almost have to call the Euro based player just because they are in-season

You'd have to think CSA has an extended Camp Poutine in Florida for the MLS guys they are calling just to knock the rust off because some of them will absolutely be needed..

Don’t know how much I want our players getting thumped by League 2 defenders for a month. If we do anything, I think it’s more like a 2-3 week MLS camp in Florida with all the MLS guys and whoever else may be needed to fill the numbers. Maybe play a couple B friendlies with Cuba/Haiti/Guatemala/T&T. 

17 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Did anyone mention we are top of another table:

image.png.6d8b3d0b7bc6353cd69a6e77f106d38c.png

Never get tired of seeing that.

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Is it possible for some of our MLS guys to get short term loans to teams in England or Europe?  Training is 1 thing but these guys will be off for over 2 months.  Crazy thought but could they go to tier 3 England or tier 2 Europe for 6 weeks after a well deserved break?

Now that we're going to be solidly in the top 50 in FIFA rankings, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our MLS guys get permanent transfers to the Championship and maybe even low/mid-table EPL sides now that they are eligible for automatic work visas. There's already been reports that Laryea is being followed by some clubs in the UK. Other guys I could see drawing interest are Johnston, Miller, Kaye and Osorio.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but if even a few of those guys make moves and are at least training with their new clubs in January, it'd make it much more feasible to call them in for that window.