WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

Just now, Razcal said:

Doesn't seem like much of a complaint, also says he's never experienced playing for Canada in that type of atmosphere and that it was really special.

So, I guess Toronto would be better despite hearing all the time from people here that it is crap because the Argos chewed the shit out of it.  I wish they would make my mind up for me.

28 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Well we know BMO is 68m wide, but I don't think you can just take a look at CFL field dimensions. Most CFL fields which have permanent soccer lines on them have their soccer field dimensions wider than their CFL field dimensions. Presumably because CFL lines do not meet the FIFA minimum width.

Thats exactly my point. Cfl field width is standard. Compare where the soccer sidelines are to the cfl sidelines at thf, you can see them faintly during either sport. From there you can see that THF is a couple yards wider from the cfl sideline paint. 

Either way, before we hear the hyperbole of the NHBM (nothing happened before me) crowd, this will be the biggest game probably since 2000.  Maybe bigger because there is more at stake.  Winning this game doesn't guarantee anything but it would send a message (most importantly to our own players) that this is real and we're on our way.

Probably shouldn't have said NHBM, it's not too bad for that here.

Just now, Razcal said:

Doesn't seem like much of a complaint, also says he's never experienced playing for Canada in that type of atmosphere and that it was really special.

Here's Herdman saying Costa Rican tactics were hard to counter with turf not helping:

"I think the reality around the midfield was you are trying to break a deep block on a turf field," said Herdman. "We were good in the first 20 and then we started to get a little bit stuck. We got involved in some of that dark arts of those little fouls and then slowing the game down and then we just lost momentum and rhythm."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/takeaways-canada-salvages-win-vs-costa-rica-despite-tactical-tweaks/

There is also another interview where Herdman was diplomatic in answering a leading question. The interviewer said the turf seemed to hurt Canada early, was sticky..Herdman said yes, but this time of the year, all pitches in Canada aren't in good shape.

And we also had a tweet from Rollins after the match:

And while these guys didn't play at Commonwealth, their general comments about the impact turf has on your knees & back apply. Plus, from a purely perception viewpoint, it makes Canada look bad since all the comments outside of Canada range from LOL to WTF.

Starts near the end at 24:48. Credit to @corazon in Costa Rica match thread.

I also like Borjan saying...  "I've been with the program 12 years, never seen a crowd like this".  I know Razcal mentioned this, but since the turf keeps getting brought up over and over....never seen a crowd like that in 12 years deserves a repeat.  I also heard a rumor that the players like playing in front of 45000 fans that havnt had a mens game like this in...13 years??  

Not that I’m advocating for it in this game, but has Herdman ever tried David as a true 10 in place of Osorio rather than in a striker pair?

I thought he spent some time there with Genk. We’ve had trouble getting Larin and David to gel but maybe having David deeper with some extra room would get more out of him.

Larin

Davies.     David.      Buchanan

Kaye.    Eustaquio.    

All gas. No breaks.

Just now, Bison44 said:

I also like Borjan saying...  "I've been with the program 12 years, never seen a crowd like this".  I know Razcal mentioned this, but since the turf keeps getting brought up over and over....never seen a crowd like that in 12 years deserves a repeat.  I also heard a rumor that the players like playing in front of 45000 fans that havnt had a mens game like this in...13 years??  

Didn't he play against Mexico in Vancouver?  That was 2016

The program also hasn't made the Hex for 23 years or whatever it is.

Were we supposed to play games with 50k people against St Lucia?

52 minutes ago, The Ref said:

There is snow in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday in Edmonton.

Oh Canada, Oh Baby!

tAEHRfJ.jpg

Warnings

3:45 PM MST Sunday 14 November 2021
Snowfall warning in effect for:

City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park

Heavy snowfall for parts of Alberta Monday through Tuesday. Total snowfall amounts between 10 and 20 cm are expected.

Snow will begin in western Alberta on Monday morning and spread eastward through the day, reaching regions in Central Alberta by the early afternoon.

Regions near Edmonton and north will see 2-4 cm of snow through the day on Monday, with an additional 10-15 cm expected overnight into Tuesday.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy
No grace period to correct extra blank space

33 minutes ago, admin said:

Didn't he play against Mexico in Vancouver?  That was 2016

The program also hasn't made the Hex for 23 years or whatever it is.

Were we supposed to play games with 50k people against St Lucia?

HEHEHE, yeah he was there.  Thats what he said...so take those comments with the huge grain of salt that you take the usual, the players all want to play in TO, I love my manager to pieces (after a win) and I'm just concentrating on my club situation for the next few windows comments.    

Let's hope the CSA and/or Edmonton stadium officials spend the extra $1500 for additional 25-30 security personnel for this game. Massive gaps to break through and at least 3 pitch invaders vs CRC. I'm going to guess at minimum 20k Canadian fine by Fifa. 

Not the best look when trying to show Fifa to be world cup hosts. I'm hopeful they will be better prepared this time around.