WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

10 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Honest question,

How was that pitch any worse than BMO which has been chewed to hell by CFL games?

How was it any worse than what Vancouver Whitecaps have been playing on all season?

For one thing it was narrow. Which is a disadvantage to us being a fast team with wingers.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Was worse than BMO and BC Place in my opinion.

And you are basing that opinion on what? Because the numbers were covered poorly with green paint?

Have we heard one coach or player say anything in regards to pitch quality?

Edited by Razcal

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

You would think that the people concerned would have commented on the pitch if it was an issue to them, like they did with the foreign fans showing up in Toronto.  Odd they would speak up about one and not the other.

Exactly.

The CSA, Herdman and the Players decided they wanted these games in Edmonton, they knew very well what the conditions may be and they were more than happy to play in them.

Just now, narduch said:

I'm dying of laughter at people trying to defend that awful pitch.

Orrrrr... you are projecting your bias.

The numbers not being covered well can absolutely be made fun of. They needed to do a better job than that. The quality of the surface was just fine for what it is, which is synthetic and FIFA approved.

1 minute ago, Razcal said:

The numbers not being covered well can absolutely be made fun of. They needed to do a better job than that. The quality of the surface was just fine for what it is, which is synthetic and FIFA approved.

You sure the numbers were painted over versus just remanence of the old gridiron lines paint being painted on so many times. Dont think the gridiron lines are permanent at commonwealth? 

11 minutes ago, Razcal said:

And you are basing that opinion on what? Because the numbers were covered poorly with green paint?

all the credit to the edm people for filling the stadium,but that pitch,they would of been better off playing in the parking lot

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

You sure the numbers were painted over versus just remanence of the old gridiron lines paint being painted on so many times. Dont think the gridiron lines are permanent at commonwealth? 

I believe it's all permanent unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Razcal said:

I see you glossed over my point that the field was not wide enough.

That fact alone should have disqualified ever using that stadium.

We basically negated one of our major strengths. And it nearly bit us in the ass.

I believe it's all permanent unfortunately.

Im not sure about that…..

in 2015 the turf was replaced prior to the wwc because of ghosting of cfl football lines  

dont think they’ve ever had permanent gridiron lines. Its just leftovers from constant cfl paint

https://equalizersoccer.com/2015/02/13/edmonton-commonwealth-stadium-artificial-turf-replacement-world-cup/

1 minute ago, narduch said:

I see you glossed over my point that the field was not wide enough.

That fact alone should have disqualified ever using that stadium.

We basically negated one of our major strengths. And it nearly bit us in the ass.

It had nothing to do with pitch quality which is what people were whining about for no real reason.

Width is an interesting discussion, could the team not choose the width of the pitch? Seems like there was plenty of space on either side and the lines were painted on.

Just now, king1010 said:

Im not sure about that…..

in 2015 the turf was replaced prior to the wwc because of ghosting of cfl football lines  

dont think they’ve ever had permanent gridiron lines. Its just leftovers from constant cfl paint

https://equalizersoccer.com/2015/02/13/edmonton-commonwealth-stadium-artificial-turf-replacement-world-cup/

Interesting, really unfortunate they couldn't have done a better job removing them then.

It had nothing to do with pitch quality which is what people were whining about for no real reason.

Width is an interesting discussion, could the team not choose the width of the pitch? Seems like there was plenty of space on either side and the lines were painted on.

I believe the width was limited by the track, or what remains of the track, at Commonwealth. 

And you're right: there's plenty to pick apart in our tactics and performance that were a much bigger factor in Friday being a close game before we get to the pitch.

Running track cuts in at the corners. Its currently covered in green carpet

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Running track cuts in at the corners. Its currently covered in green carpet

Do you have a source which says what the dimensions of the field were? Vs. Other stadiums in Canada?

I'm interested in looking further into it.

Edited by Razcal

36 minutes ago, Razcal said:

It’s just an opinion.  And no, not just because the numbers were poorly covered.  The ball had an inconsistent roll and bounce; caused both teams to play a lot of high balls.  Can’t comment on your last question but publicly have not heard anything other than from the Costa Ricans.

17 minutes ago, Razcal said:

Do you have a source which says what the dimensions of the field were? Vs. Other stadiums in Canada?

I'm interested in looking further into it.

Compare the width of the the pitch to the cfl sidelines at commonwealth, then do the same at tim hortons field. 

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Compare the width of the the pitch to the cfl sidelines at commonwealth, then do the same at tim hortons field. 

Well we know BMO is 68m wide, but I don't think you can just take a look at CFL field dimensions. Most CFL fields which have permanent soccer lines on them have their soccer field dimensions wider than their CFL field dimensions. Presumably because CFL lines do not meet the FIFA minimum width.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe you should take that up with Mr Herdman who made the decision and might have a little more expertise on the subject than you do

Just read an article earlier where Davies was asked about the weather. He mentioned how players in Canada don't enjoy it, but grew up with the cold weather, then he wished the Mexican team luck in adapting to it.