WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

I'm learning to not second-guess Herdman's decisions anymore.  He's got us this far in the octo undefeated, so he must be doing something right.  He certainly knows more than I do, and he corrected a bad situation with Henry before the bomb went off.

Edited by vancanman
Smellcheck doesn't like "octo."

A lot of shining lights in the past two games. Milan/Davies/David/Staq/Johnson/Larin/Tajon/Vitoria/Richie iall showing they are fixtures in the Canadian line up. Adekugbe and Hutch (only because some thought he had aged beyond his best) also demonstrated they may belong in the first group (and also Crepeau based upon the second window). 

When we were up 2-nil with 15 minutes left, and Mexico was both coming on harder with more pace and getting chippy, why not put in Piette? Isn’t that a context that is tailor made to his skill set? He’s not a player I’m generally enthusiastic about starting, but in last night’s conditions what he brings to the table coming off the bench floats to the top - if not then, than when? 

Also, realistically does Witherspoon have a future with Canada? I can’t fault him for anything, just not sure I see where he fits in (but perhaps there are injury laden scenarios I haven’t considered). 

The only thing Herdman got wrong was that final change. He changed formations, and allowed their back 3 to have time and space on the ball, which allowed their fullbacks/wingbacks forward, and they got numbers on the flanks. I don’t know why he did that, as the 3-4-3 worked perfectly for 85 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Wayverider said:

A lot of shining lights in the past two games. Milan/Davies/David/Staq/Johnson/Larin/Tajon/Vitoria/Richie iall showing they are fixtures in the Canadian line up. Adekugbe and Hutch (only because some thought he had aged beyond his best) also demonstrated they may belong in the first group (and also Crepeau based upon the second window). 

When we were up 2-nil with 15 minutes left, and Mexico was both coming on harder with more pace and getting chippy, why not put in Piette? Isn’t that a context that is tailor made to his skill set? He’s not a player I’m generally enthusiastic about starting, but in last night’s conditions what he brings to the table coming off the bench floats to the top - if not then, than when? 

Also, realistically does Witherspoon have a future with Canada? I can’t fault him for anything, just not sure I see where he fits in (but perhaps there are injury laden scenarios I haven’t considered). 

Adekugbe playing so well is a nice surprise.  Seems like every camp we have a young guy seemingly mature into a important role.  Buchann, Johnston, Miller and now Sam.  Good for him!!  I think we all thought Piette was coming in.  I dont know if it would have made much of a difference, mexico was always going to come hard those last 15 minutes...its still MEXICO eh??  They have too much skill and pride to roll over.  And I think next window with the MLS contingent out of season, we'll be glad we have Wotherspoon involved.  Its going to be a tough window with squad rotation, we'll need all hands on deck.  

5 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

If anyone missed this from yesterday-

"FIFA has ruled Mexico's next two home games will be played without fans due to the chants at home qualifiers against Canada and Honduras.

Good that these idiots are costing their team financially, but that's not really what matters.  They (CONcaCRAP) should be deducting points.

Edited by vancanman

The coaching staff are never going to get everything right, but a lot of us thought the starting line up was way off but  it got us a 2-0 lead with an in game sub Vitoria/Henry. It was unfortunate re David as he is the best forward at pressing defenders and that may have helped stall Mexico's  build up. Staq (who lost his man on the Mexico goal) as well as Davies looked exhausted towards the last 10 mins. I don't think we have hit our top gear yet which is an amazing thing to say after a win over Mexico. Kudos to Herdman and his able band of assistants

9 hours ago, EDM Rover said:

Borjan def knows how to switch it on/off. Mere moments earlier, he'd been goading the entire Mexican bench as the final seconds ticked down. Love it. 

That is the part guys like Richie need to learn.  There is a time and place for the shithousery but sometime you have to just bottle it up for the good of the team.   After the final whistle, we had beat them.  Walk away with your arms in the air victoriously- that is just about the worst thing we could do to them.  

Yeah, Sam, Stephen and Davies were gassed. We needed replacements a bit earlier. Would have liked to see Millar on for Davies to keep the Mexican backline honest.

Oh, and if only we had a bit more ability to finish a couple of those counters we had. We'd have been up 3 goals and none of us would have had to have conniptions for those last 10 minutes. Mind you, as KJ rightly pointed out, the last ditch Mexican flurry will be good for the team and coaching staff to learn from.

What a game.  I am too mentally exhausted to write much, but it was amazing.  

I flew to Edmonton from PEI to watch two home games - and it ended up far exceeding my expectations.  I got to see us beat Mexico at Iceteca in conditions I never imagined, and got to see Atiba set the all time caps record.  I met or reconnected with some amazing V’s and feel like I was part of a truly historic night of footy.  

It’s a good thing I am wearing a mask because I am sitting at the airport with a fucking stupid grin that I just can’t stop.  

Thanks to all who made this happen - @admin@rob.notenboom @JamboAl, and everyone else who contributed to this event (I know I am missing a bunch).  And props to @El Hombre for driving to Calgary in the snow to pick up some stranded V’s.  

And you don’t know her, but special thanks to my wife for solo parenting for the last week to make all of this possible.  

Remember the ridiculous shirt-pull on Laryea where advantage was played and a yellow card was not given?  Ends up the ref might have gotten it right to not give a card.  

Today I learned of this Law of the Game (courtesy of Gianny0924 on Reddit):

Law 12.3 - Advantage

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution/sending-off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution/sending-off must be issued when the ball is next out of play. However, if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour; if the offence was interfering with or stopping a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.

10 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Remember the ridiculous shirt-pull on Laryea where advantage was played and a yellow card was not given?  Ends up the ref might have gotten it right to not give a card.  

Today I learned of this Law of the Game (courtesy of Gianny0924 on Reddit):

Law 12.3 - Advantage

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution/sending-off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution/sending-off must be issued when the ball is next out of play. However, if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour; if the offence was interfering with or stopping a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.

Yeah, suffering double jeopardy can seem weird the way it's applied to football.  You almost feel like sometimes you're being punished for not gaming the ref. 

3 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

If anyone missed this from yesterday-

"FIFA has ruled Mexico's next two home games will be played without fans due to the chants at home qualifiers against Canada and Honduras.

Edit- poor headline from Sportsnet

Anyone have the history on this?  Why the fuck is this a thing?