WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

Thought the ref had an excellent game, blatant Yellow when Laryea we pulled back and strangled aside. One of the better reffing perfomances I have seen in concacaf. Loved his taking no shit mentality getting in players faces opposed to so many shrinking and being influenced. He was the boss today for sure!

Good match and congrats to the team and Herdman.  Didn’t like the way he came in but he seemed to make the players believe anything is possible.  Definitely the cold and turf helped Canada for sure freeze the Mexicans.  One thing though.  Was watching this with some family members who haven’t seen a Canada game since the last time we were in the Hex in the 1990’s and maybe more for Herdman to practice, but as soon as Davies was subbed off rhe Mexicans began to dominate the last 10 minutes and almost tied it up.  We rely toooooooo much on Davies.  Yes he’s a great player, but better teams with good defences will take him out of this game and then Canada can’t create.  We really need to develop or get someone ready to take Davies’s spot because, he’s gonna get hacked and fouled more and more in his career and that’ll take alot of bruises for him.  Just hope we have another “lethal” player who can act as midfielder and forward like Davies.

Edited by nolbertos

1 minute ago, nolbertos said:

Good match and congrats to the team and Herdman.  Didn’t like the way he came in but he seemed to make the players believe anything is possible.  Definitely the cold and turf helped Canada for sure freeze the Mexicans.  One thing though.  Was watching this with some family members who haven’t seen a Canada game since the last time we were in the Hex in the 1990’s and maybe more for Herdman to practice, but as soon as Davies was subbed off rhe Mexicans began to dominate the last 10 minutes and almost tied it up.  We rely toooooooo much on Davies.  Yes he’s a great player, but better teams with good defences will take him out of this game and then Canada can’t create.  We really need to develop or get someone ready to take Davies’s spot because, he’s gonna get hacked and fouled more and more in his career and that’ll take alot of bruises for him.  Just hope we have another “lethal” player who can act as midfielder and forward like Davies.

Mexico and USA are both among the top 15 in the world. Davies made his mark against both opponents.

Just now, jonovision said:

Mexico and USA are both among the top 15 in the world. Davies made his mark against both opponents.

Not talking about Mexico and US or CONCACAF.  Davies is a big fish in a small bowl here and on the team.  Mexico and the US have a a few good backup midfielders.  We have Davies and rhe supporting cast.  After him, who’s good to create for Canada?? I don’t know how’s ready to step up, just wondering

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

This.

The thing with AD is that he can stretch the game from box to box while pushing the opposition back towards their own goal.  

When he went off we lost our out ball and it pushed US back too deep. 

Borjan pulled a rabbit out to save the win. 

Not talking about Mexico and US or CONCACAF.  Davies is a big fish in a small bowl here and on the team.  Mexico and the US have a a few good backup midfielders.  We have Davies and rhe supporting cast.  After him, who’s good to create for Canada?? I don’t know how’s ready to step up, just wondering

Davies' attacking supporting cast has like 2 or 3 guys that would walk into the Mexico or USA lineup in a second.

We did ok the last two games when Davies was arguably the worst Canadian player over both games. The emergence of Buchanan, Millar looking great, Corbeanu looking bright and starting to get games, Osorio looking fantastic in Mexico. Then the ridiculous depth of our attack. I will be honest the best thing about the Costa Rica game, past the 3 points, was seeing people like Adekugbe and Millar and Miller stepping up. It is different players in every game. We are not a one person team at all. Every window is getting better and we have plenty in the pipeline. We are for sure at least a decade behind the US in terms of depth but its coming.  imo.

Just now, jonovision said:

Davies' attacking supporting cast has like 2 or 3 guys that would walk into the Mexico or USA lineup in a second.

I’ll agree to disagree.  Davies is rhe differencr maker on the team. If you’re talking forwards, for sure David and Larin can make the US and Mexican starting lineup, but midfield like Laryea, Hutchinson and Eustaqio and Adekugbe, no

Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon.

BUT I also still haven't shaken the total disbelief and confusion as to what Buchanan and Laryea were doing on those enormous breaks when they had a half hour and refused to move the ball to the plethora of way better and lethal options in the middle of the field just waiting to bury those balls. Honestly never been more dumbfounded than those two plays. 

What a match. Great crowd, great plays and incredible saves at the end. 

I gotta warm up by the fireplace now but a huge thank you to Canada Soccer for letting us Edmontonians experience this amazing journey!  Also, absolutely fantastic job by the voyageurs.  Hope everyone that travelled to our city had a great stay and I look forward to seeing you all at the next match. Time to become a voyageur and fly wherever the game will be held.!

30 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Davies created nothing tonight. We scored two goals. Something's not working with your logic. Other creators: Buchanan, Oso, Eustacquio.  But you miss the entire point of this team: they are winning as a team, not individual players.

17 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon.

BUT I also still haven't shaken the total disbelief and confusion as to what Buchanan and Laryea were doing on those enormous breaks when they had a half hour and refused to move the ball to the plethora of way better and lethal options in the middle of the field just waiting to bury those balls. Honestly never been more dumbfounded than those two plays. 

Good young players with more to learn. This is a good thing. They'll only get better.