WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Can’t find the source of this, but this would mean they don’t train once at Commonwealth?  This can’t be right.

Well they obviously don't want to train here because of the weather but it is not like the weather in Indianapolis is any better.

From the FIFA regs, it appears that they are only entitled to one training session on the match pitch, on the day before the match:

On the day before the match and weather permitting, the visiting team is
entitled to have one training session of 60 minutes on the pitch where the
match is due to take place. Prior to the visiting team’s arrival in the host
country, the exact time and duration of the training session shall be mutually
agreed, and then confirmed in writing by the host association. In the event of
severe adverse weather conditions, the FIFA Match Commissioner may cancel
the training session. In this case, the visiting team shall be allowed to inspect
the pitch while wearing training shoes. Should both teams wish to train at the
same time, the visiting team shall be given priority.

6 minutes ago, sstackho said:

From the FIFA regs, it appears that they are only entitled to one training session on the match pitch, on the day before the match:

the training session. In this case, the visiting team shall be allowed to inspect

Right but a Monday night implies no training.  Maybe this is lost in translation and it means they will land at like 1am Monday (flying out tonight)?  That’s what CR did.

9 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Related to this, the Swedish federation and the coach have complained because they got to train at La Cartuja in Seville before the Spain match today, but one of the boxes was not available. They basically decried Spanish dark arts, when basically they are desperately trying to get the pitch ready (had lamps on a section).

The reason visitors are limited to practice (and UEFA does something similar) is to ensure pitches are in good condition before matches or neither side does anything to take away from the quality of the pitch before an international match.

Related to our experience, Luis Enrique is extremely critical of that pitch in Sevilla, which the Spanish federation goes back to often as it does not belong to any club (was built for the folly of a Sevilla Olympic bid) and is available.  But the pitch is poor and he feels it hurts Spain's play, and says so openly. So politics does affect other teams, not just Canada, that try to mix things up when it comes to home pitches, and seek an advantage. So even prestigious coaches are not always able to get their federations to give them conditions they want at home.

A note about Costa Rica: they did not train at Commonwealth, don't think. There is a post that they did on the relate thread here, but based on a tweet which said "reconocen el campo", or maybe it was "un reconocimiento". Which means wandering around on it for a few minutes, taking a look, the keeper checking the areas, but not training. I think, from what the CR federation was posting, that they did not train. Am I wrong?

There are images of Canada training in an indoor facility in Edmonton, anyone know which? That would make sense, to offer Mexico the chance to do the same, or any visiting nation.

I personally think Mexico errs by not going to Edmonton a bit early, because it benefits you with the cold. If you get there two days before, you get over the initial shock of cold air, you adjust mentally; otherwise it is a bit hard I'd say.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related to this, the Swedish federation and the coach have complained because they got to train at La Cartuja in Seville before the Spain match today, but one of the boxes was not available. They basically decried Spanish dark arts, when basically they are desperately trying to get the pitch ready (had lamps on a section).

Related to our experience, Luis Enrique is extremely critical of that pitch, which the Spanish federation goes back to often as it does not belong to any club and is available.  But the pitch is poor and he feels it hurts Spain's play, and says so openly. So politics does affect other teams, not just Canada, that try to mix things up and seek an advantage. So even prestigious coaches are not always able to get their federations to give them conditions they want at home.

A note about Costa Rica: they did not train at Commonwealth. There is a post that they did on that thread, but based on a tweet which said "reconocen el campo", or maybe it was "un reconocimiento". Which means wandering around on it for a few minutes, taking a look, the keeper checking the areas, but not training. I think, from what the CR federation was posting, that they did not train. Am I wrong?

Another good example is England playing crucial matches at Wembley after its been ruined by an NFL game.

Adekugbe's very strong performance on Friday night might have the coaching staff wondering if they should stick to a back four for this one or go to a 3-5-2 which would (likely) put the Hatayspor man on the bench.  Versus Mexico, I thought they would add another central mid (Mexico hunter Osorio), have Davies and Laryea at wingback, Larin (or Ugbo?) and David up top, with Vitoria between Miller and Johnson.  Buchanon off the bench gives us a big X factor for this one.  Wotherpoon, Piette, and Hutchinson can reinforce the middle if we are leading or needing to see out a draw.  However, they might keep Adekugbe in the mix with Davies in front of him on the left.  

Barring injuries, I think we see three changes at the most in the starting line up on Tuesday night.

We are tantalizingly close and getting closer but we aren't there yet imo. A win against Mexico or the States when they come here will be another HUGE step and building block to continue our springboard. I don't think we are mentally quite there yet in terms of growing into ourselves as a top 3 concacaf team but every window is an improvement.

I have honestly no idea about Tuesday, we could scrape a draw, get beat 3 or 4 nothing or even have that breakthrough moment and win. The fact two of those three options are even shows how far we have evolved. Here's hoping we are the team in the news that beats the weather, pitch and Mexico come Wednesday morning.

I think we'll see some upsets on Tuesday.  Jamaica is in form and the US seem lost without McKennie.  El Sal playing for their WC lives. 

CMNST just need to stay the course and avoid the counter.  Mexico scored their goal because our mids were caught out.  Damn near scored another one too on a similar counter. 

I'm worried about Laryea's temperament.  Buchanan is my choice.

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I woke to a weather warning here in Edmonton.

Used to the English losing their minds at any prospective of snow.

If that is not what is going on here, could be a fun next few days and nights.

Snow warning when 10+ cm expected, which it is for some parts. But as a "Special Weather Statement" it is the "least urgent" and simply "unusual" i.e. the first snow of the year for these parts. The mountains have the snowfall warning - just 30cm though.

Folks will be busy Tuesday morning. Please don't melt anything - use an ice-carving snow shovel if you must. Looking a lot like 2018....

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A note about Costa Rica: they did not train at Commonwealth, don't think.

There are images of Canada training in an indoor facility in Edmonton, anyone know which? That would make sense, to offer Mexico the chance to do the same, or any visiting nation.

I believe they were at the community fieldhouse attached to Commonwealth. 

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I think we will.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Canada the only undefeated team in the Octagon! Can we hold onto that label after Tuesday?

I hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if Canada was in fourth place after Tuesday's matches.