WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

I can't tell you how many times over the past 20 years I have heard, "We need to play this ~Central American team~ in the middle of the Prairies in the winter for World Cup qualifying" after each game that we have played in the scorching afternoon heat of said ~Central American team~.

Well, this is the window where everyone is finally getting their wish.  One down, one to go.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If it works it will be epic, and legendary. If it doesn't, it will be epic and legendary for Mexico. 

Thing is, in these conditions, Tata Martino has basically the only imaginable scenario where he can lose and keep his job.

Yep.  It feels like the pressure has switched to Canada to win this.

34 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I can't tell you how many times over the past 20 years I have heard, "We need to play this ~Central American team~ in the middle of the Prairies in the winter for World Cup qualifying" after each game that we have played in the scorching afternoon heat of said ~Central American team~.

Well, this is the window where everyone is finally getting their wish.  One down, one to go.

The reality is that this window is a good test case for that theory (which, like you said, we are all familiar with).  The game against CR wasn’t pretty but we won.  If we get a positive result tonight against Mexico I think at minimum we can’t rule out that it is a legit strategy against our much more southern opponents.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

7 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Is it bad that I was to see shots of miserable looking Mexico fans in the freezing cold? 

I suppose they earn my respect by being in the elements in an away stadium but I'd still like to see it. 

I bet we'll also see a fair no of Canadian no-shows, at those low ticket prices.

And plenty there but in the concourse warming up, or other leaving early. If I had bought tickets and had kids in tow I'd think about it.

Just now, Yoginess said:

Is it bad that I was to see shots of miserable looking Mexico fans in the freezing cold? 

I suppose they earn my respect by being in the elements in an away stadium but I'd still like to see it. 

Mexican fans will not give a shit about the weather.  

Most are probably from the states and Canada and see this regularly and at games. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I bet we'll also see a fair no of Canadian no-shows, at those low ticket prices.

And plenty there but in the concourse warming up, or other leaving early. If I had bought tickets and had kids in tow I'd think about it.

Pretty dicey road conditions for those coming up from Calgary. Three semi trailers jackknifed on the main hwy between Red Deer and Edmonton. We'll see how it is in a couple of hours.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Mexican fans will not give a shit about the weather.  

Most are probably from the states and Canada and see this regularly and at games. 

Met a Mexican fan as I was leaving the hotel on Saturday, came from Mex and couldn't speak a lick of english.

Another Mex fan is on twitter, asking for help because he didn't bring a winter coat.  LOL.

No matter what happens tonight, this group of CANMNT has already provided such great moments and memories this WCQ. This is a special group of guys and it has been an incredible journey so far. It has been a pleasure to follow them and partake amongst this board which I have lingered for many years but rarely posted. 

Who knew we would be heading into Commonwealth (or Iceteca) with 20cm of snow and -16deg Celsius. It should make this a game for the ages. It may be ugly, but it will definitely be remembered. 

Turf. Frozen. Windchill. Snow. This is crap we shoulda been doing 20 years ago. Not now with a team that can actually play.

I know this is supposed to give Canadians the warm fuzzies but I can't help but think this could easily backfire and is epically bush league.

Edited by The Real Marc

4 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Turf. Frozen. Windchill. Snow. This is crap we shoulda been doing 20 years ago. Not now with a team that can actually play.

I know this is supposed to give Canadians the warm fuzzies but I can't help but think this could easily backfire and is epically bush league.

Is playing in 110 degree weather in Honduras at high noon bush league? Fact of the matter is, CONCACAF WCQ has been "bush league" for years and it's how teams do whatever they can to gain an advantage. Remains to be seen if this weather will benefit or hinder us. 

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

It's risky. It is also very funny. I've been laughing about it for weeks. It is not bad to push this in Mexico's face, since they've been leveraging Azteca for decades, the altitude, the pollution. It's pretty fun to see them come in with their tales (edit: tails, but tales works too) between their legs, after lording it over us for so long. 

Then I shift and think like you, what a dumb idea. But hey: we got three points vs. CR, and our qualifying for Qatar never depended on taking points from Mexico. So I can live with whatever happens. We move on from here regardless.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist