WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Tonight's low -17C apparently so is Toronto in January much worse than this, if the undersoil heating at BMO can cope?

A forecasted low usually only happens at around 3-4 a.m. of any given day. It'll be -7 (feels like -14) at kickoff in Edmonton.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

A forecasted low usually only happens at around 3-4 a.m. of any given day. It'll be -7 (feels like -14) at kickoff in Edmonton.

The actual cold should not be a problem unless the wind stays up.  Snow moving horizontal still out in the sticks, where I am.

If everything dies down in time transport should be okay as well.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Tonight's low -17C apparently so is Toronto in January much worse than this, if the undersoil heating at BMO can cope?

That's lower than it got anytime last year in Toronto (Toronto and Edmonton might well get the same amount of snow, and Toronto's is over a shorter period, but it frequently melts). While most winters in Toronto see some minus 20 weather, I doubt the undersoil heating would work. It has always been turned off for the winter - but has been turned on earlier when there are February games.

Just now, urdiub said:

Bring the noise tonight everyone! Will be watching from home today, wish I had a few more days off available to stay in Edmonton for this one.

Saw someone call Commonwealth the "Iceteca" today 🤣

I hope since it is a packed house that I too hope all the Canadians bring the noise tonight and we don't make it easy on Mexico either with our hostile environment 

9 hours ago, ShaneC06 said:

What a time to be alive! Commonwealth Stadium should change its name to the Iceteca tomorrow. 

Just watch: Wheeler is going to "borrow" your brilliant nickname in the telecast tonight. You better collect residuals. Gareth, do the right thing: Give credit where credit is due!!

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Just watch: Wheeler is going to "borrow" your brilliant nickname in the telecast tonight. You better collect residuals. Gareth, do the right thing: Give credit where credit is due!!

I wasn't thinking last night, but I saw the Iceteca nickname on social media. I wish I had the guys initial name to give credit. 

7 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I have this image of Wheeler staring into his washroom mirror practicing potential catchphrases. Iceteca is perfect for him

I'm fairly certain his kick off monolog is written out ahead of time

Edited by narduch

8 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I have this image of Wheeler staring into his washroom mirror practicing potential catchphrases. Iceteca is perfect for him

Yeah I can easily picture him shaping his hair with a comb, adjusting his bowtie and doing the "Unique New York" thing.

For the 1st 7 games of this WC qualifying round I didn't feel any butterflies. You could say I was  over optimistic. This game, however, has me apprehensive. Maybe it's the narrower field which does not play to our strength: lightning pace on the flanks. Or maybe it's the weather which I think goes against our talented front 4/5. I think our attack is better than Mexico's but this weather will eliminate that advantage. Or maybe I'm just aware that if we lose and Panama wins we'll be in 4th place.

Anyway, for the first time in this WC qualifying I'm worried.

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

For the 1st 7 games of this WC qualifying round I didn't feel any butterflies. You could say I was  over optimistic. This game, however, has me apprehensive. Maybe it's the narrower field which does not play to our strength: lightning pace on the flanks. Or maybe it's the weather which I think goes against our talented front 4/5. I think our attack is better than Mexico's but this weather will eliminate that advantage. Or maybe I'm just aware that if we lose and Panama wins we'll be in 4th place.

Anyway, for the first time in this WC qualifying I'm worried.

Every game the pressure builds from here.  Away games our expectations will be for draw but today we have added pressure of iceteca and pulling out the big result 

I’m curious if the city will have people there to shovel in the stands at all after the snow stops.  It’s a city owned stadium so they’ll have access to a lot of people to help to do this but the snow doesn’t stop until what, 1-2pm local time roughly?  My concern is these idiots in the stands who don’t care/don’t know about FIFA sanctioning and crowd banning throwing snowballs on the field 

13 hours ago, gigi riva said:

well lets hope for the best tommorow Mexico will be tough . I am going to do my pre WCQ ritual go to weekday mass at St Joseph  in Guelph and during the game hold on to my Good Luck Rosary 

I think that your efforts, and a few dozen Voyageurs deciding to stay at Santa Maria Goretti all match and pray from there, will be enough to get us the result.

13 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m curious if the city will have people there to shovel in the stands at all after the snow stops.  It’s a city owned stadium so they’ll have access to a lot of people to help to do this but the snow doesn’t stop until what, 1-2pm local time roughly?  My concern is these idiots in the stands who don’t care/don’t know about FIFA sanctioning and crowd banning throwing snowballs on the field 

The snow will be gone in the stands. This isn't the first time they've cleared snow from Commonwealth. I'm sure crews are on stand by. 

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

Seen Iceteca pick up a few different places... You know Wheels' thumbs are falling off scrolling Twitter right now so I'd be surprised if he doesn't fire that one off since it's right in his cornball wheelhouse.

I wonder if he’ll break out “Ice Ice Baby” if we score?