WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

4 hours ago, frmr said:

I'm sure Edmonton of all places will have plenty of equipment ready to clear the pitch during the day. There will be snow during the game, yes, but qualifiers have gone ahead in snow before.

Snow during game presumes cloud cover and some warmer temperatures although a white out would suck.  So would colder temps below -10

I asked my girlfriend, who has a PhD in biology and specializes in studying Arctic plants (yes, they exist), about possible field conditions for the match:

"With my Arctic research hat on, I suspect the ground will not be that frozen because of water's latent heat effect. It takes a while for water in the ground to lose its heat and then freeze. The tarp, and then a layer of snow, will also insulate the ground, reducing the chance the ground will be frozen."

1 minute ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Have the Mexicans been doing any trash talking? 

I expect Mexico will get frustrated if they don’t have their way early on. Neck chokes and eye gouging are far too common with them. Hope you guys have a decent ref.

The Mexican media is playing up the weather as a major factor which is giving an off ramp for criticism in case Mexico loses.   If they do win there will be massive trash talking.

12 minutes ago, pod818 said:

HERDMAN: I didn't know you were a soccer fan, Mr. Prime Minister.

TRUDEAU: Yes, yes, I've been a fan since I was a kid. I know all the players on our team except for the new kid, I-K-A You-go. Is that him?

HERDMAN: No, that's Tajon.

TRUDEAU: Oh, then it must be that player?

HERDMAN: (a glint of suspicion in his eyes) That's Johnny David.

TRUDEAU: Him?

HERDMAN: (Rolling his eyes)That's Fonzie.

TRUDEAN: Isn't the Fonze too old to play?

HERDMAN: Not the Fonze, Fonzie - Alphonso Davies?

TRUDEAU: Oh, Is he also new to the team?

Edited by Sal333

3 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Herdman with probably his most unexpected call-up yet:

49 y/o Left-Winger Justin Trudeau has been called up for the squads final game of the window. With the surprise decision, the health of Davies and Adekugbe has been put into question as Trudeau has been an effective tool down the left for years. Nevertheless,  Herdman will have the back up to call on if need be. While Trudeau's style of play is relatively unknown, he has ample international experience under his belt given his momentary dual nationality with Saudi Arabia in October 2001, and most recently with India in February 2018.

20 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

49 y/o Left-Winger Justin Trudeau has been called up for the squads final game of the window. With the surprise decision, the health of Davies and Adekugbe has been put into question as Trudeau has been an effective tool down the left for years. Nevertheless,  Herdman will have the back up to call on if need be. While Trudeau's style of play is relatively unknown, he has ample international experience under his belt given his momentary dual nationality with Saudi Arabia in October 2001, and most recently with India in February 2018.

If it's not fast tracking Ryan Gauld's citizenship, paying off FIFA to make an allowance for him and Tomori to switch, then confirming the success of cloning project "CSA Super Soldier" using the DNA of our best players, then we aren't interested. 

If he has not done that, then quite frankly, why is he there?

Edit: Oh I see, “He came by to tell us he believes in our team, that the country is behind us.” Good cover. Project CSA Super Soldier doesn't exist. ;);)

Edited by toontownman

20 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Well done. Lol

27 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

An effective tool down the left. LOL.

49 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Trudeau will say he's a left winger to get in the XI but really will spend all his time in the centre and to the right.

46 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Previous managers have utilized him at left wing out of desperate necessity, but in truth he’s more more of a central midfielder.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

HERDMAN: I didn't know you were a soccer fan, Mr. Prime Minister.

TRUDEAU: Yes, yes, I've been a fan since I was a kid. I know all the players on our team except for the new kid, I-K-A You-go. Is that him?

HERDMAN: No, that's Tajon.

TRUDEAU: Oh, then it must be that player?

HERDMAN: (a glint of suspicion in his eyes) That's Johnny David.

TRUDEAU: Him?

HERDMAN: (Rolling his eyes)That's Fonzie.

TRUDEAN: Isn't the Fonze too old to play?

HERDMAN: Not the Fonze, Fonzie - Alphonso Davies?

TRUDEAU: Oh, Is he also new to the team?

I bought the story at first.  Haha

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yup.  I have been consistent in this - a 4 point window is absolutely successful IMO.  We did the job against CR and now we just need to not lose against Mexico.  If that takes a boring draw tomorrow night, then so be it.  

That 3-2 win by Panama in Honduras on Friday has changed things now.   I have been with you all along with your 21 point theory.   Before Friday night, i too would have said 4pts is absolutely successful.  But if you look side by side our remaining schedule with that of Panama's, you will realize that they are tracking to have 20 points by the time we play them in the very last game in Panama.  If we dont want that last away game in Panama to decide 3rd and 4th place,  then we cannot just be content with 1 point from each our home games versus Mex & US. 

We will have to win one of these two games (ie>; against US & Mex).  Its best to start tmrw night.  Teams are starting to fall out of contention and it will be harder for upsets to occur against Panama.   Plus, our focus and battle is now for 3rd and 4th  place and not just grabbing one of the 4 qualifying spot.  

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

That 3-2 win by Panama in Honduras on Friday has changed things now.   I have been with you all along with your 21 point theory.   But if you look side by side our remaining schedule with that of Panama's, you will realize that they are tracking to have 20 points by the time we play them in the very last game in Panama.  If we dont want that last away game in Panama to decide 3rd and 4th place,  they we cannot just be content with 1 point from each of the home games versus Mex & US. 

We will have to win one of these two games (ie>; against US & Mex).  Its best to start tmrw night.   The focus and battle is now for 3rd and 4th  place and just grabbing one of the 4 qualifying spot.  

I agree that I would prefer not to need a win in Panama, but I legitimately think we can get 3 wins from the following 4 games: at home vs Jamaica, away to ES, away to CR, and away to Honduras.   I know we won’t win all of them but I think they are all easier than our games at home to Mexico or the US - and I think we can do the job in 3 of them.  People (more on FB than here) have gotten carried away with the results so far and are underestimating the real challenge of playing Mexico and the US - even if it is at home.  They will be really hard games.   Full stop.  Both visiting teams will be up for it - weather be damned - and if we play against them like we did against CR, there is. I way we are winning.  

I know the regional away history, but I still think we have a better chance getting results in CR, ES and Honduras than we do tomorrow night against Mexico.