WCQ: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, Nov 16, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

27 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

Haven't seen official confirmation yet, but it sounds like the original referee for last night's match, Mario Escobar from Guatemala, will be the referee for this match, with assistant referees from Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica.

Laryea will need to stay cool, and that may not even be enough for him given how soft the caution vs CR was. 

4 hours ago, Metro said:

The one good thing about the pitch now is that Canada has had 90 minutes of experience on it.  Mexico most definitely has not.

I am concerned about the cold.  I remember going to the MLS Cup final 2016 and the extreme cold did act as a defender against Toronto who were clearly the more talented team.  It is Mexico though; maybe their form will be more affected?  

Won't be surprised if we get the ol' 0-0 for this one.

I went to all 3 MLS Cups in TO and it was cold AF especially in 2017...I do remember wearing something like 7 layers.  Minus 23 forecast brings me fond memories of my blue balls 😂

No matter how cold it gets in Edmonton, it will be played.  The only issue is the amount of snow.

Edited by Jedi Ram

47 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

No matter how cold it gets in Edmonton, it will be played.  The only issue is the amount of snow.

Quantity likely to be low - rarely humid at those temperatures so assuming the field is swept before the game, accumulation of less than 2cm most likely.

The snow to worry about will fall Monday. If it melts.... 😭

Just a heads up for those taking public transit to the airport after the game.  Just did so today, couldn’t swing both games, and it took me 2 hours on the LRT and the 747 bus.  Admittedly my timing sucked as I waited 40 mins for the bus but it wasn’t a quick trip!

Enjoyed Edmonton, the V’s, Wayverider and his sons buds, missed the Gator!  Epic experience and I hope to go again be it Vancouver, the Hammer,...

Allez Les Rouge!!

2 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

Updated FIFA Rankings Points for Round 8

image.png.1094c2c4429c0c3022ef1514b0316eaa.png

Current FIFA Ranks as of Friday (after all WCQ games played around the world)

image.png.2eff4830a9b84ba12201528d0889880d.png

I assume these calculations take into account Mexico’s loss to Ecuador and El Salvador's loss to Bolivia (friendlies)?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 hours ago, Neil R. said:

Haven't seen official confirmation yet, but it sounds like the original referee for last night's match, Mario Escobar from Guatemala, will be the referee for this match, with assistant referees from Trinidad and Tobago and Costa Rica.

If true, this game could be an absolute shit show.

https://ca.soccerway.com/referees/mario-escobar/196207/

Dunno when the Mexico team arrives, but Sunday & Monday are looking to be poor weather in Edmonton. Sunday a rain/snow mix, Monday PM windy and snowy.. looking at 5cm or so of wet snow, maybe even more.. our first snows of the year in fact.  Tuesday a cold wind from the north and colder as a result. Like other posters have mentioned, somewhere in the -5 to -9 range at kickoff, maybe even some snowflakes still even flying around (no accumulation). Will feel colder into the minus teens as the game rolls on with wind.

So regardless, Mexico will be training in really poor conditions on Monday that probably won't reflect what the pitch will be like by match time on Tuesday. This has to be an advantage for us especially with us having several training sessions + a full game on the pitch already.

18 hours ago, Neil R. said:

Nice scoop.