Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

What people don't seem to mention as the rationale for Hamilton is a significant snowfall.  Clearing that off a turf field at BMO would likely be damaging.  Herdman also said the players grew up in the cold playing on artificial surfaces.  Do I think that would be a big advantage vs the USA, no, (unlike I did vs Mexico)  This may simply be a matter of planning ahead for a weather issue.  With Hamilton you can take care of it, BMO maybe, maybe not.

1 hour ago, RS said:

If it happens, I'd expect the temporary seating to remain up after the Grey Cup.

I don't think there is any extra seating, because of the changing nature of Covid seats have been capped at 24k

Sellout expected for Grey Cup game in Hamilton
Steve Milton Spectator Columnist October 25, 2021

Because of ongoing planning concerns around the pandemic, attendance is capped at 24,000 for the Dec. 12 game at Tim Hortons Field, the first Grey Cup held in Hamilton in 25 years.

The original plans to expand stadium capacity to 33,000 with temporary north-end seating at Tim Hortons Field and a massive, non-seated, “social viewing” area in the south-end patio have been postponed until the 2023 Grey Cup.

On Oct. 14, the CFL and Tiger-Cats announced that the city would get the 2023 game, as compensation for the pandemic-related restrictions which limit the size of the 2021 Grey Cup game crowd and have curtailed most of the major downtown events planned for Cup week.

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

actually 40 minutes. 

On a typical day of traffic maybe, but right now YYZ-THF is a 46 min drive and YHM-THF is a 22 min drive according to google maps, so only approx. a 20 min drive difference. If you factor in the speed of getting an uber or lyft from the airport, YYZ definitely saves you some time there.

43 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't see how cold weather is any sort of an advantage against the USA. If we play in Hamilton, they probably play in 3 cold weather cities in that window. The bad turf could be to our advantage, having gained some experience with it. But it could just as easily bite us.

As Herdman said, they're thinking about Travel with trips to Honduras and El Salvador on either side

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

As Herdman said, they're thinking about Travel with trips to Honduras and El Salvador on either side

So the game is sounding like it'll definitely be in the Eastern Time Zone. (BMO, THF, Olympic Stadium)
The reality is, this coming window could solidify our ticket to Qatar. So I completely understand the coaching staff looking to get the best situation for the greater good the team.

1 hour ago, RS said:

If it happens, I'd expect the temporary seating to remain up after the Grey Cup.

What a great point.

Look at this guy. Thinking critically and shit. 

(edit: never-mind I didn't read down far enough. )

Edited by Califax

3 minutes ago, Shway said:

So the game is sounding like it'll definitely be in the Eastern Time Zone. (BMO, THF, Olympic Stadium)
The reality is, this coming window could solidify our ticket to Qatar. So I completely understand the coaching staff looking to get the best situation for the greater good the team.

Let's get qualification, done send the boys on a national tour for the remaining games - IMO.

Tim Hortons Field, Hamilton, ON
Utilised public private partnership (P3) delivery

At a glance

The new stadium meets all of the technical requirements of both the Canadian Football League (CFL) and the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). It also contains expansion capabilities necessary to host future Grey Cup games, along with press and broadcasting facilities, suites, concessions areas, and support space for the Games and legacy activities.

Tim Horton's Field is sited on a 5.45-hectare parcel where the venerable Ivor Wynne Stadium formerly stood. The design reimagined the historic site — fittingly, the same ground where Canada held its first major international competition, the British Empire Games in 1930 — as a flexible “neighbourhood stadium” that can host professional and amateur sports, cultural happenings, and prestigious national and international events. The stadium has a realigned footprint facing north-south, which reduces wind and sun shading on the field of play. It also has fantastic sightlines and first-class amenities, such as 30 suites, six elevators, bigger seat sizes, updated press and broadcasting facilities, and concession stands on all levels.

krX3mIj.png

Q8obnwy.png

28 minutes ago, urdiub said:

Only an extra 20 minute drive from YYZ to Tim Hortons Field than from YHM. See you in Hamilton 😉 (if this happens)

Which is why for me at best since I live in Mississauga, that to get to Hamilton by car ride get there in 20 to 30 minutes

Hoping Hamilton is awarded the USA game myself too 

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Which is why for me at best since I live in Mississauga, that to get to Hamilton by car ride get there in 20 to 30 minutes

Hoping Hamilton is awarded the USA game myself too 

Transit is great too...

"GoTrain officers handed out a record 5,000 open alcohol citations on the Lakeshore West train in the lead up to Sunday's Canada USA clash" 🤣

Edited by Califax

58 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't see how cold weather is any sort of an advantage against the USA. If we play in Hamilton, they probably play in 3 cold weather cities in that window. The bad turf could be to our advantage, having gained some experience with it. But it could just as easily bite us.

They aren't doing this for the weather advantage. 

It is totally about spending less time flying between cities.

Based on that I also expect our pre window camp to be in Florida as well.