Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

20 hours ago, JBD said:

Why doesn’t spain play in barcelona?

They don't have the support of the Catalan federation, just as they don't have the support of the Basque federation, or the local and regional authorities, to wave the Spanish flag and Spain colours in those respective regions. It is a question of national identities and internal politics. 

Thing is, it is hypocritical: in Barcelona, the stats show people watch Spain play on tv. The numbers are big. So they are watching, but they don't like what the symbolic meaning of match might mean. When Spain won the WC, fans celebrated in Barcelona but it was not equivalent to other parts of the country.

Then, if they were to organise a match, people would go. Not everyone in Catalonia is separatist, the numbers are less than 50%. And you may even get soccer fans who do not support Spain that openly, or enthusiastically, who'd still go because the love the sport. 

I find it funny people who live in Canada might not understand this, there are enough parallels to get you past the line. Then the historical and cultural differences that you have to spend some more time on.

Take the “players want to play in Toronto and not Vancouver” rumour Duane started with a massive grain of salt… I know for a fact that this isn’t a majority opinion among some of the lads there. Duane has always been kind of “anti Vancouver” (maybe a little harsh but you get my drift) and also always pushes “the Toronto” narrative. What I do see being the problem is the installation of the new turf and if FIFA can look over the pitch in time for January 30. That seems to be what a lot of the other not as biased “pundits” are reporting. 

edit: yes a lot of (most of) the players are from the GTA and would probably love to play at Home again, but let’s get real, they aren’t parading around CSA office space saying they don’t want to play in Vancouver (kind of like Duane implies)

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

6 minutes ago, RS said:

Do I really think that a stadium that hosted a Women's World Cup six years ago on the exact same surface is FIFA approved?

Yes, yes I do.

6 years ago..wow low standards.im sure the csa could lay a temp fifa turf in tor or mtl if they wanted jus add a 2 dollar tax on the tickets for the game lol

41 minutes ago, RS said:

The biggest issue at Rogers Centre is the surface. Is it FIFA approved? If not then its a non-starter, unless the CSA can somehow truck grass into there in late January.

Fair enough to ask if the surface is FIFA approved.  But to play devils advocate,  that TFC-LA Galaxy game was a Concacaf event (not an MLS event).  Concacaf, being an arm of FIFA, must have been OK with the surface.  Or do they just not bother or care?

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Fair enough to ask if the surface is FIFA approved.  But to play devils advocate,  that TFC-LA Galaxy game was a Concacaf event (not an MLS event).  Concacaf, being an arm of FIFA, must have been OK with the surface.  Or do they just not bother or care?

These were still corrupt times.....anything could've happened then.😅

7 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

6 years ago..wow low standards.im sure the csa could lay a temp fifa turf in tor or mtl if they wanted jus add a 2 dollar tax on the tickets for the game lol

I'm not sure what you're getting at but "a temp fifa turf" isn't going to be any better than what's currently in Edmonton.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at but "a temp fifa turf" isn't going to be any better than what's currently in Edmonton.

ok...something new is not better than a 6yr old worn out too narrow field,i was at the skydome for that temp turf game it was way better than that parking lot field on thurs how can anybody defend that pitch

2 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

ok...something new is not better than a 6yr old worn out too narrow field,i was at the skydome for that temp turf game it was way better than that parking lot field on thurs how can anybody defend that pitch

I've never defended the pitch. I merely stated that it's FIFA approved (which it is).

6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Take the “players want to play in Toronto and not Vancouver” rumour Duane started with a massive grain of salt… I know for a fact that this isn’t a majority opinion among some of the lads there. Duane has always been kind of “anti Vancouver” (maybe a little harsh but you get my drift) and also always pushes “the Toronto” narrative. What I do see being the problem is the installation of the new turf and if FIFA can look over the pitch in time for January 30. That seems to be what a lot of the other not as biased “pundits” are reporting. 

edit: yes a lot of (most of) the players are from the GTA and would probably love to play at Home again, but let’s get real, they aren’t parading around CSA office space saying they don’t want to play in Vancouver (kind of like Duane implies)

All these hot takes on Duane amuse me.  Duane is not the source of the rumour.  It wasn't (originally) leaked to him nor was it dreamed up by Rollins bc he prefers Toronto.  Pretty sure he heard it at the exact same time I did at the pre game party, but seems he's gotten more info since then based on his tweets having different details than I heard.  

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

All these hot takes on Duane amuse me.  Duane is not the source of the rumour.  It wasn't (originally) leaked to him nor was it dreamed up by Rollins bc he prefers Toronto.  Pretty sure he heard it at the exact same time I did at the pre game party, but seems he's gotten more info since then based on his tweets having different details than I heard.  

I’m not saying there isn’t true elements to it, but I am saying he grossly over exaggerated it by specifically pushing the “players want Toronto over Vancouver” narrative instead of the other, more prevalent, issues. That’s what I’m saying 

this is something Duane would do. 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

the classic "shoot the messenger"

46 minutes ago, RS said:

Do I really think that a stadium that hosted a Women's World Cup six years ago on the exact same surface is FIFA approved?

Yes, yes I do.

Dont artificial pitches need to be inspected annually to get fifa approval? After a certain amount of years the shape of the turf could be downgraded to a lower level or not certified at all. 

10 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Dont artificial pitches need to be inspected annually to get fifa approval? After a certain amount of years the shape of the turf could be downgraded to a lower level or not certified at all. 

Given that a World Cup qualifier was just played on it, it's safe to assume that it's still certified.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

Given that a World Cup qualifier was just played on it, it's safe to assume that it's still certified.

Adding to this, the bar for certification can't be too high. Have you seen the playing conditions in some of these qualifiers around the world? Don't forget our match in Jamaica or even most of the earlier qualifying matches as well.

43 minutes ago, Free kick said:

the classic "shoot the messenger"

I’m sure the players love having some free lance journalist speak for all of them amidst trying to get the entire country to get behind them and support, whether he was just reporting or not. Regardless of if he’s the messenger, he still went on a public platform and essentially put words in all of the players mouth in regards to not wanting to play in Vancouver. But you’re right, definitely doesn’t have at least a little stench of biased in there.

2 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

The last piece of the puzzle is travel. The time zone favours Toronto for European players but the flight over is not much different and is shorter return from our first match in Panama to Vancouver than Toronto would be. 

Canada doesn't play in Panama until the last game of qualifying. For the January window, the games are in Honduras, Canada, then El Salvador. Travel times and time zones favour Toronto (or any city in the eastern half of the country), but potential crowd size and weather favour Vancouver.

4 hours ago, David Pinto said:

Outdoors in Toronto will not get you a big crowd unless we see temps that are not normal for the end of Jan. 

From a fan perspective vancouver is the logical choice (I'm a toronto V) but you need to do what the players want. 

It will be a sell out, it's just a matter of how many of those fans are US fans

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I’m sure the players love having some free lance journalist speak for all of them amidst trying to get the entire country to get behind them and support, whether he was just reporting or not. Regardless of if he’s the messenger, he still went on a public platform and essentially put words in all of the players mouth in regards to not wanting to play in Vancouver. But you’re right, definitely doesn’t have at least a little stench of biased in there.

The bolded is completely baseless and unfounded.   do you have any proof of that?  were you privy to that interaction?

and speaking of bias.  why is there no one in the edmonton media mentioning this?  or even about the quality of the turf?  is that not a story?   THAT too is what i call bias

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The bolded is completely baseless and unfounded.   do you have any proof of that?  were you privy to that interaction?

So you’re trying to tell me that every single player on that roster went to somebody at the CSA and told them they don’t want to play in Vancouver? Get real 

He tweeted that it’s the players pushing for it to be changed. I’m sure that’s putting some words in a few peoples mouths, no?

Edited by N1ckbr0wn