Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

3 minutes ago, superstarss said:

If Rollins tweeted about the CMT playing at a place named after a bank, is it actually feasible to do something with Scotiabank Arena? I've seen the videos transforming the space from a hockey rink to a basketball court, but would a full pitch soccer field be theoretically impossible?

Yea if we are playing the Futsal WCQ lol. 

Bastkeball Court, Hockey Rink are comparable sizes.
It's not possible.

PEI to Vancouver is 100% not going to happen. 

PEI to Toronto is still unlikely after this trip, but there is a chance it could happen.   

So there’s my vote.  Having said that, it seems weird to consider anything other than the left coast given the time of year and differences in weather.  Mitigating effects of the lake or not, Toronto in January can be damn cold.    

Edited by dyslexic nam

Those of you complaining about Jan weather in Toronto yet applauding the match being almost 50000 people tomorrow in snow with -8 temp and -17 windchill are simply just showing anti-Toronto bias. Looking at the weather data posted above and from checking on a few sites, there's only been one Jan 30th in the last 5 years that's had a colder windchill than what you're happily attending tomorrow. If there's any cause for concern it would be how the grass might play in January, but I presume after this window, Herdman will want to do his due diligence into the quality of whatever pitch they pick for Jan.

And if away fans are what we're worrying about, I'm more worried about Americans crossing into Van from Seattle than I am coming from Buffalo to Toronto. 

1 minute ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Those of you complaining about Jan weather in Toronto yet applauding the match being almost 50000 people tomorrow in snow with -8 temp and -17 windchill are simply just showing anti-Toronto bias. Looking at the weather data posted above and from checking on a few sites, there's only been one Jan 30th in the last 5 years that's had a colder windchill than what you're happily attending tomorrow. If there's any cause for concern it would be how the grass might play in January, but I presume after this window, Herdman will want to do his due diligence into the quality of whatever pitch they pick for Jan.

And if away fans are what we're worrying about, I'm more worried about Americans crossing into Van from Seattle than I am coming from Buffalo to Toronto. 

This is a bit misleading.   I don’t think anyone prefers it to feel like -17 tomorrow. The game couldn’t be held in Toronto this window, the CSA rolled the dice with the November weather in Edmonton, and it has been a mixed bag.  I think anyone being positive about the coming weather at this point is just looking for a silver lining in something we have no control over whatsoever.  If it gives us just enough of an edge that we can get 3 points against Mexico, I will happily freeze my ass off in Section O.

What we can control are the broad conditions we plan to play under in January.  It isn’t anti-Toronto bias to try and ensure humane temperatures in the January window, even if the novelty of Tuesday’s game is a bit intriguing.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is a bit misleading.   I don’t think anyone prefers it to feel like -17 tomorrow. The game couldn’t be held in Toronto this window, the CSA rolled the dice with the November weather in Edmonton, and it has been a mixed bag.  I think anyone being positive about the coming weather at this point is just looking for a silver lining in something we have no control over whatsoever.  If it gives us just enough of an edge that we can get 3 points against Mexico, I will happily freeze my ass off in Section O.

What we can control are the broad conditions we plan to play under in January.  It isn’t anti-Toronto bias to try and ensure humane temperatures in the January window, even if the novelty of Tuesday’s game is a bit intriguing.  

Also, while I don't think playing in cold conditions is a decisive advantage for anyone, I can see the case for Mexicans and Costa Ricans being at the very least uncomfortable. It is certainly not an advantage vs the USA, whose players largely play in the same leagues (MLS and Northern Europe) as ours. 

Edited by jonovision

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

My post was more referring to the debate on the Jan window. I'm more just referencing the double standard in that we're celebrating the ability to freeze out the Mexican team, yet some are referencing that as a reason not to play in Toronto at all. The way I view Jan is that if the players are asking to reduce travel or would prefer the pitch at BMO, after this window, weather is not a prohibitive reason to not accommodate the match because we're likely playing in the same or similar conditions tomorrow night.

9 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I don't think there is any bias. 
I'm from Toronto and want the game in Vancouver for several reasons.

Weather definitely being one of them. We can look back on tomorrow and compare it to January 30 in Toronto at BMO. I'm sure the weather will be colder in Toronto.

The reality is the game was played in Edmonton due to the availability of BMO or else I suspect it would've been played there as well.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Weather definitely being one of them. We can look back on tomorrow and compare it to January 30 in Toronto at BMO. I'm sure the weather will be colder in Toronto.

The reality is the game was played in Edmonton due to the availability of BMO or else I suspect it would've been played there as well.

BMO Field was originally booked by the CSA for tomorrow, but they traded with the CFL so the rescheduled Argos-Elks game could be played in Toronto.

The team preferred to stay in one city, so they booked both games for Commonwealth. They could have just as easily played at THF against Costa Rica on Friday and at BMO tomorrow and had minimal travel between games, but for various reasons they decided on doing both at Commonwealth instead.

57 minutes ago, RS said:

Funny enough, that's exactly what TFC did for their CCL game against the Galaxy in 2012. They bought a shit ton of rubber foam (think about those colourful interlocking tiles that toddlers play on, but in black) and placed it under the existing artificial turf.

It made a huge difference (I was able to walk on both the unpadded parts on the circumference and the padded part). It was still a poor-quality surface, even compared to BMO's old artificial turf, but it made a huge difference to the carpet-on-concrete approach the Jays & Argos were using back then. 

Yes.  this gets often forgotten.   For a "one off" that event went off very well.  

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  this gets often forgotten.   For a "one off" that event went off very well.  

The biggest issue at Rogers Centre is the surface. Is it FIFA approved? If not then its a non-starter, unless the CSA can somehow truck grass into there in late January.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

indeed and worth repeating.  This game was played in Edmonton because of a COVID outbreak on the Edmonton Elks early in the year.  This forced their CFL games to be rescheduled and and the result was that Commomwelath became  available and BMO got booked.

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the match in Vancouver. One worry I do have is if the pitch will be ready as the scheduled completion date is 10 days ahead of time. That aside, I was just confused as to how negative people have been since that Rollins tweet got put on the board. At the end of the day, if the boys want Toronto, give them Toronto.

Also for Edmonton, the CSA was holding BMO as @RSsaid and I think once the CFL got BMO back, both the Argos and Elks had schedule changes to make it work for both the CSA and CFL. I'm a fan of having both games in Edmonton, freeze them out why not

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

On 11/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, chalms04 said:

I thought the movable seats were locked in to place after the most recent round of baseball-specific upgrades?

I've never heard that before. Media said when they made the changes for the Jays (new turf and pitching mound), that it was still convertible, but would take longer, so not an option between April and October. The mobile seating looks the same to me.

Biggest issue, is that as far as I know, they don't have turf that fits with the Jays turf, and no one has put up the money for that before. But that's only $. Perhaps MLSE is willing to throw some in, as now that MLS starts in February every year, and Toronto's frequent February Champions League appearances, they can make some money.

If they can still put monster truck rallies in the Rogers Centre, I don't see that a soccer game is out of the question.

Personally I'd expect Vancouver. But soccer games in the Rogers Centre always seemed pretty cool (and noisy) in my experience. Though I've felt the same in the Big O - but that seems to be out of the question.

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

This is according to a guy who's been giving us 'scoops' for at least 15 years, with about 99% of them being laughably wrong. Rollins is an idiot. Don't put too much stock into anything he has to say about anything. 

I'm not sure why you are posting this, after others have confirmed that Rollins is correct, and they are considering Toronto. Since you posted, some in the media who are in touch with the US team have confirmed that Toronto is still in the running.

At the same time, it seems very poor form to be making personal attacks against other members here - especially when you are wrong, and they are right. I hope you apologize for this.

16 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Does anyone know what they did for the surface for that TFC vs Galaxy match?

They played on the existing turf - but it wasn't in great shape. This is no longer an option as it doesn't fit with the newish turf configuration that the Jays are using (they added a proper infield).

Edited by nfitz

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

The “moving games around for growing the game” argument doesnt make any sence.  I dont know why  a few people keep repeating this..   Its at the club level where you grow the game.   Not with the national team(s).  

National teams coming into town 1-2 times a year are/is like show or circus. Once they gone, the event (the sport) is forgotten.  Besides,  does the game really need to grow?   In 2016 there were 100,000 people who paid to go watch a two leg playoff series involing two Cnd clubs.  Proving that this is how you grow the game, and its alive and well.

I said above, “ I dont know why a few people keep repeating this”.  But i lied,  I do actaully know why people keep repeating this because I have been reading this forum for 20 years.  But i am not going to go there. 

And we know why you are on this dumb tack, if you know what a tack is.

But be coherent if you are going to be this way: just put all the games in the national capital, where the national gallery is and the national archive, and the parliament.

Really, if you have no idea how the majority of nations "grow" the national team programmes, then shut up. I find this sort of posting as arrogant and parochial as it is blatantly mistaken. 

National teams represent nations, and all of their citizens. They are also paid for by the taxes and resources of everyone, who should then rightly benefit from that. And it is feasible, just as public collections from a national gallery are loaned and tour so not everyone has to visit the capital to enjoy them. 

The vast majority of countries move around their MNT to various venues and they most definitely grow the game that way. A few have national stadiums, but even then do not always play in them. Others are nations where a capital is so large, or central enough, it could make sense. But that is the minority scenario.

There are fans who do not have a top flight pro team and get to see their national team players. There are venues that are associated with clubs, and club rivalries, and the national teams help fans move past those mentalities (yours, obviously) to a place where you have a shared and common ground and team you can all support. Fans support players who are on clubs they do not like, but when put on the colours they support them. Players on clubs you may hate become heroes. This is what national teams do, they belong to us all, and deserve to be enjoyed by us all. Not just the guys who think they are the centre of the universe but are really just in the middle of the bush.

15 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Does anyone know what they did for the surface for that TFC vs Galaxy match?

Other than the padding that I mentioned upthread, they didn't do anything. That was also 9 year ago and the Blue Jays have since replaced the surface.

Keep in mind that that was a CONCACAF game, this is a FIFA World Cup qualifier. Standards are different (as we know CONCACAF lets a lot more go than FIFA would).

1 minute ago, RS said:

Other than the padding that I mentioned upthread, they didn't do anything. That was also 9 year ago and the Blue Jays have since replaced the surface.

Keep in mind that that was a CONCACAF game, this is a FIFA World Cup qualifier. Standards are different (as we know CONCACAF lets a lot more go than FIFA would).

do you really think edm was fifa approved  if so my driveway is also fifa approved