Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

6 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Late January in Ottawa is a deathwish. 

...ditto Montreal, but Toronto might work given anything below -15 is unusual due to the moderating effect of the Great Lakes even if it can happen on occasion. Not sure how low a temperature the undersoil heating would cope with though if they ran into some bad luck with that.

I can't believe this is even a conversation. 
Yes the players want to play in Toronto....but do they want to play at BMO or TD Place in front of 3k fans? 

The only way this seems feasible is if they play at the Skydome. There isn't any events happening there in January, so it may be possible to even lay down sod a few weeks ahead of the game.

3 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Maybe I missed it, but is there a particular reason why you think so?  They still have concerts and other events there.  Why not soccer?

Concerts and other events have been using the baseball config since the argos left. There was talk that with the dirt infield and other changes made which locked the stadium into baseball config unless some modifications were made. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Concerts and other events have been using the baseball config since the argos left. There was talk that with the dirt infield and other changes made which locked the stadium into baseball config unless some modifications were made. 

I thought this as well but I've been told by multiple people that they can make it work if need be.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Myself and 3 others are already booked for Jan in Van....but I totally understand why it can end up in Toronto. 
If it's at BMO......im 50/50 on going with the potential of weather. 

Same boat but I'll be at BMO 100%. 

Made sure everything I booked could be cancelled. 

Edited by David Pinto

2 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

jus play the game at the skydome or oly stadium and roll out some temp turf cheap buggers,they should of done the same in edm.

agrreeeed, especially with the elks being off for 3 weeks. They could've laid it down from November 6th and did all the watering and sheit need. (sounds so simple, but I know theres more to it)

8 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

jus play the game at the skydome or oly stadium and roll out some temp turf cheap buggers,they should of done the same in edm.

Mtl runs the risk of getting cancelled if it snows. Cheap temp turf would tear apart at the the seams(see previous gold cups/ summer friendlies). Not to mention where u going to find that much grass in Jan in canada. 

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Mtl runs the risk of getting cancelled if it snows. Cheap temp turf would tear apart at the the seams. Not to mention where u going to find that much grass in Jan in canada. 

i was thinking of a good plastic temp turf,grass would be hard i think

2 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

i was thinking of a good plastic temp turf,grass would be hard i think

I dont think thats feasible as a temp solution. The underlay of those surfaces is important. Cant just throw down rubber foam and field turf on top of it

Edited by king1010

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I dont think thats feasible as a temp solution. The underlay of those surfaces is important. Cant just throw down rubber foam. 

Funny enough, that's exactly what TFC did for their CCL game against the Galaxy in 2012. They bought a shit ton of rubber foam (think about those colourful interlocking tiles that toddlers play on, but in black) and placed it under the existing artificial turf.

It made a huge difference (I was able to walk on both the unpadded parts on the circumference and the padded part). It was still a poor-quality surface, even compared to BMO's old artificial turf, but it made a huge difference to the carpet-on-concrete approach the Jays & Argos were using back then.