Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

On 11/14/2021 at 2:22 PM, BrennanFan said:

The players want to play in Toronto. That is the main reason Herdman is pushing for the Skydome at this late stage. Thats the rumour I heard in Edmonton, take it or leave it. In the past, the next game was announced at the previous home game. So if we don't get a Vancouver announcement Tuesday, I will be more inclined to believe they're looking at the logistics of making the Dome work. 

If they can make the Skydome work and figure out the seating and turf logistics, then fair enough.  If they can make the Big O work, ditto.  I just don't think it'll work for BMO, regardless of undersoil heating.  I don't want to see a rapidly torn up grass field (nor a frozen Field turf skating rink in Hamilton) neutralize our own best attacking talents

Edited by BearcatSA

8 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

The players want to play in Toronto. That is the main reason Herdman is pushing for the Skydome at this late stage. Thats the rumour I heard in Edmonton, take it or leave it. In the past, the next game was announced at the previous home game. So if we don't get a Vancouver announcement Tuesday, I will be more inclined to believe they're looking at the logistics of making the Dome work. 

This is according to a guy who's been giving us 'scoops' for at least 15 years, with about 99% of them being laughably wrong. Rollins is an idiot. Don't put too much stock into anything he has to say about anything. Just wait for the CSA to make an announcement about the January venue. It won't be too long.

29 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

But a lot of American fans will be in attendance for the game in Vancouver tho like that's a given but then seeing all the Canadian fans and the fact that this game most definitely will be sold out, I know I definitely want to go

Have a feeling we will be inundated with a lot of American fans no matter where we put this game.

18 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Assuming the Blue Jays are still in Rogers Centre in 2026, there’s no chance they will agree to going on the road for 4 weeks between prepping/converting the field, the commencement of the tournament and converting it back.  And it would be a 4 week minimum too 

Jays have been talking for a few years about installing grass.  Maybe it will happen. 

7 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I didn’t read every post. Worth considering since these guys aren’t robots.

January window is Honduras —> Canada —> El Salvador

Flight times according to the janky flight calculator I used. 

4:31 San Pedro Sula —> Toronto

4:47 Toronto —> San Salvador

Total Flight time: 9:18

——-

6:36 San Pedro Sula —> Vancouver

6:44 Vancouver —> San Salvador

Total flight time: 13:20

——

I expected a little bit of a bump, but I was surprised by how much longer the trips got.

Costa Rica —> Canada —> Panama would be even longer (ex: 7:59 Vancouver —> Panama City).

Adding to this. We've spent months talking about how the January window is going to rely heavily on European players, not guys that are based here already

7 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I didn’t read every post. Worth considering since these guys aren’t robots.

January window is Honduras —> Canada —> El Salvador

Flight times according to the janky flight calculator I used. 

4:31 San Pedro Sula —> Toronto

4:47 Toronto —> San Salvador

Total Flight time: 9:18

——-

6:36 San Pedro Sula —> Vancouver

6:44 Vancouver —> San Salvador

Total flight time: 13:20

——

I expected a little bit of a bump, but I was surprised by how much longer the trips got.

Costa Rica —> Canada —> Panama would be even longer (ex: 7:59 Vancouver —> Panama City).

Adding to this. We've spent months talking about how the January window is going to rely heavily on European players, not guys that are based here already

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

This is according to a guy who's been giving us 'scoops' for at least 15 years, with about 99% of them being laughably wrong. Rollins is an idiot. Don't put too much stock into anything he has to say about anything. Just wait for the CSA to make an announcement about the January venue. It won't be too long.

First of all I think SkyDome is out of the question.

You are taking a huge gamble trying to play an outdoor game in Toronto on January 30.

While we often have been having milder winters (thanks to climate change), you still run the risk of a major snow fall or even excessively cold temps.

Is it really all that worth it to save 4 hours of airtime?

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

First of all I think SkyDome is out of the question.

You are taking a huge gamble trying to play an outdoor game in Toronto on January 30.

While we often have been having milder winters (thanks to climate change), you still run the risk of a major snow fall or even excessively cold temps.

Is it really all that worth it to save 4 hours of airtime?

It's the reduced time in the air, the reduced jet lag while they're here, and Herdman also mentioned in a recent interview a couple days ago that the majority of players having family in Toronto is also a factor - not sure how big of a factor that can be given Covid protocols, but he said it. 

9 minutes ago, Califax said:

Isn't that for players / coaches to decide? 

Id rather fly from Turkey to Toronto / Montreal than to YVR and then an extra 4 on top of that. 

The home game in this window is the middle game. So your point is not valid.

We are away to Honduras, home v USA and then away again to El Salvador. 

I can see the argument for playing in Toronto but the problem is the logistics of configuring the Dome because I don't think BMO is an option, BC would make more sense because of this, player preferences and possible delays with turf installation may change that! Whatever the CSA are going to do they need to announce this soon for players, fans and media!

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

The home game in this window is the middle game. So your point is not valid.

We are away to Honduras, home v USA and then away again to El Salvador. 

I assumed we would't fly immediately into Honduras to train (and eat) there for a long string. 

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

It's the reduced time in the air, the reduced jet lag while they're here, and Herdman also mentioned in a recent interview a couple days ago that the majority of players having family in Toronto is also a factor - not sure how big of a factor that can be given Covid protocols, but he said it. 

This, and for whatever reason Herdman (inaccurately) thinks there were 25K Mexican fans in Vancouver when we played them so I wonder if he feels (inaccurately) that there will be a similar number of American fans.

Is Hamilton winterized?  I think Hamilton is an interesting idea

- Fifa quality turf field (don't need to install grass or worry about murdering the grass at BMO)

- Better travel

- Smaller crowd (similar to what the US did against Mexico can push tickets into the hands of V's/Forge/TFC groups etc to reduce tickets available to away support) 

- Weather is obviously a huge if but considering there's supposed to be 35 cm of snow in the next 24 hours here in Edmonton its not like it wasn't a risk for this series of matches

4 minutes ago, gator said:

I can see the argument for playing in Toronto but the problem is the logistics of configuring the Dome because I don't think BMO is an option, BC would make more sense because of this, player preferences and possible delays with turf installation may change that! Whatever the CSA are going to do they need to announce this soon for players, fans and media!

I honestly dont think the SkyDome is a possibility at all.

Snow aside, I think outdoors in Ontario in January is way too cold to play football.  I just don't see that being advantageous to us in any way.

I didn't hear the Skydome rumour from Rollins, but his recent tweets about BMO being an option really surprise me.  If the players prefer a frozen BMO over BC Place, that needs to be respected I think.    

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

Snow aside, I think outdoors in Ontario in January is way too cold to play football.  I just don't see that being advantageous to us in any way.

I didn't hear the Skydome rumour from Rollins, but his recent tweets about BMO being an option really surprise me.  If the players prefer a frozen BMO over BC Place, that needs to be respected I think.    

I mean, will january in toronto be any worse than tomorrow in edmonton? -10 before windchill and over 10cm of snow expected tn. 

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Toronto in January will almost certainly be less cold and the city of Toronto actually sees very little snowfall compared to surrounding areas in Ontario.  With that being said, I still do not see why this game would not be held in Vancouver.

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I mean, will january in toronto be any worse than tomorrow in edmonton? -10 before windchill and over 10cm of snow expected tn. 

Toronto winters have been weird.

It could be reasonably nice (Above zero) or it could be frigid pushing -20.

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

The windchill by the lake will be an absolute killer.  To me it's a non starter.

I was on the extended bleachers on the southside for that TFC final in 2016.  The wind off the lake on southside was bone chilling.  By far the coldest outdoor event I ever attended.  But it also probably fell on the coldest day that month (felt like the coldest temperature all winter).

Edited by Corazon