Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

17 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Saputo is not winterized. 

Molson doesnt have fifa rated turf. 

Hamilton has no need to expand the stadium, nor the funds to do so with so many other municipal needs and limited capital funds. 

Adding temporary bleachers in the CFL end zones for the game/ grey cup was more what I was thinking about.

Didn't know that about the MTL options

A few thoughts on the decision to award the January window home match to Hamilton:

1. I live about 2 hours west of Hamilton, but have Ti Cats season tickets. Hamilton can at times get a tough rap as Canada’s rougher edged, blue collar steel town. I love Hamilton. Citizens in ‘the Hammer’ wear their love for their city on their sleeves - seats are generally bought by people with deep passion for the home team. None of this ‘50 per cent + corporate ownership of tickets’ in which people are ‘given’ prime seats and spend more time texting than watching. I have no doubt in Hamilton’s ability to host a very memorable experience. And the Forge truly have been a CPL success story who are deserving.

2. Despite what I said above I do worry about the huge presence of loyal soccer fans in B.C. (and Quebec) who are going to feel slighted. I flew out to the Costa Rica game in Edmonton and absolutely loved the experience. I was more than happy to jump on a SWOOP flight again, this time to Vancouver in January. Somewhere along the line, whether it’s the March window or WC tune-up matches, the issue of more equal regional allocation of matches needs to be addressed. I get it - there are a lot of other important variables to consider here. But as this sport gains a foothold in this country unlike any previous level of interest that has been demonstrated before its important not to potentially alienate provinces/regions.

3. The next window will be very challenging. We need to take a win at the minimum in Central America, a region that has not been kind to us in the past. I have no doubt we can take 3 points from the US at home, but I also have no doubt they are capable of beating us. Compare this to their January window: they play the exact same two opponents as us, El Salvador and Honduras, but their matches are at home whereas ours are on the road. The US has taken a page out of our book by locating both matches in frigid Northern January climates (which didn’t bode well for Mexico or Costa Rica). They also have the added advantage of minimal travel and furthermore both their opponents are beaten down, close to the brink of elimination - I believe this will magnify the sense of opponents playing out of their element and having to overcome what might appear insurmountable. By comparison those same opponents are probably more capable of digging down deeper in front of their home fans and putting forth a quality performance. We still have a significant journey ahead of us. But we are up to the task.

Edited by Wayverider

5 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

As for Hamilton, the area directly around the stadium is uhhh... a bit rougher. I would also suggest staying near downtown.

5 hours ago, gator said:

There are no hotels close to the stadium and in fact there aren't many bars there, we have a few different Entertainment districts and nothing is ever too hard to get to in this city! 

That was one of the disappointing things that I recall from the time i was there for the pan am games soccer tournament.  I recall the area as very residential.  Tiny working class homes that looked like they were built 50-70 years ago and then right in the middle of it all, you have Tim Hortons field.   I didnt mind the stadium but what didn't make sense to me is:  Why build it out there?   It really struck me as case of bad city planning.   Wouldn't it have made more sense to put it in a district where there are more entertainment options?  If it were located in such place there be more economic spin off  for surrounding business such as eateries, bars, restaurants, Hotels.

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That was one of the disappointing things that I recall from the time i was there for the pan am games soccer tournament.  I recall the area as very residential.  Tiny working class homes that looked like they were built 50-70 years ago and then right in the middle of it all, you have Tim Hortons field.   I didnt mind the stadium but what didn't make sense to me is:  Why build it out there?   It really struck me as case of bad city planning.   Wouldn't it have made more sense to put it in a district where there are more entertainment options?  If it were located in such place there be better economic spin off  for surrounding business such as eateries, bars, restaurants, Hotels.

It wasn't bad city planning.

The city were bullied by the Ti-Cats owner.

The city wanted to put the stadium at a better location 

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

It wasn't bad city planning.

The city were bullied by the Ti-Cats owner.

The city wanted to put the stadium at a better location 

That's how i recall it as well.   Ti-cats wanted the stadium near a freeway because  the sign from the corporate sponsor, who would pay for the naming rights, would be more visible and hence the value of the naming rights would increase.

Edited by Free kick

indeed

By the way, there ere other shenanigan's that might have gotten forgotten.  the stadium was initially  supposed to be build for the Pan Am games and was supposed to be the centerpiece for the track and field events.  But apparently,  again they got bullied into moving the track and field events to a much more sub standard York U.  So soccer was the only sport played at THF. but then you have to ask:  could they not have played soccer at BMO field instead.

Now granted,  this was probably a good thing in the end because playing soccer (or even the CFL) on stadium with a track means terrible sightlines.  But still Bob Young got a fully tax payer funded stadium for him self with no strings attached.  

Edited by Free kick

I loved the fact that they kept the stadium where it is but mostly out of selfish reasons. I live about a 15 minute walk from the stadium and my brother lives 10 minutes closer so for all the Forge and Ticats pre-games that's where you'll find me. The location is reminiscent of some of the older European grounds that were surrounded by residential areas so sitting on the front porch having pre-game pints watching everyone heading to the stadium is a favorite past-time around there. The only other location for THF that I was ok with was the West Harbour one because of the waterfront location but it just wasn't feasible due to access issues.

Im fully bummed but also happy for the people of Hamilton and surrounding area. I've been to Hamilton once and I have no doubt the people of the Hammer will bring it 100% for the team. Hopefully the weather isn't too bad. 

Would be cool to see some temporary stands or something fill in those areas behind the net.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hitch in my plans is that Flair flies out of Toronto to Charlottetown early Monday morning (and then not for another 3 days).  I may have to wait to see if it is an afternoon or an evening game.   

Go Transit runs pretty late from Hamilton to Toronto, there would be more than enough time to get back for a flight if needed. 

Went to Hamilton for a couple of days for work training.  Was staying in what everyone told me was the dumpy motel in Mount Hope.  Have to say I really enjoyed it.  The area countryside reminded me of home and I got a good vibe in what little I went through Hamilton.  The only thing that stuck out was nobody's lawn seemed to have any grass, I swear I saw tumbleweeds)  Other than that had a great time and felt comfortable.

Just now, Joe MacCarthy said:

Went to Hamilton for a couple of days for work training.  Was staying in what everyone told me was the dumpy motel in Mount Hope.  Have to say I really enjoyed it.  The area countryside reminded me of home and I got a good vibe in what little I went through Hamilton.  The only thing that stuck out was nobody's lawn seemed to have any grass, I swear I saw tumbleweeds)  Other than that had a great time and felt comfortable.

Yeah, most people's view of Hamilton is driving on the Burlington Skyway to Niagara.  

Stand on the escarpment viewpoint... and all you see is green.