Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The country has sh*t weather. It's been like that since ah forever. We have how many stadiums built with this in mind? 3 and 2 of the 3 are dated and crap. Are we not a G7 first world country?

We're taking the World Cup to where? Commonwealth stadium? Built in 1905 with a track and field track. Because I can't wait for that next 50k spectator track and field meet. 

Cmon people, be honest. It's a complete joke

I was trying to be nice but at this point your post is a joke, denigrating Commonwealth.

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m just trying to figure out the upside here to Hamilton over Vancouver.

“It’s cold.” But the US will be able to handle it.  They’re playing in Columbus for Christ sake just before.  We’re a good team with pace.  Playing on a brand new field in clear conditions should be welcomed. 

“They want to be closer to family.” Fly them out to Vancouver then.  I’m sure most would be there anyway to support them. 

“Extra flight time”..ok, this I can understand, but Honduras to Toronto is 4 and a half hours.  Honduras to Vancouver is 6 and half a hours.  Columbus to Toronto is an hour.  Columbus to Vancouver is 4 and a half hours. What do you think the US prefers?  Is the two hours really that huge? The time change is a wash for everyone involved at that point with both teams having guys from Europe coming over and going from EST to pacific time.

As I said earlier, I don’t think it plays a factor in the crowd numbers.  Americans will travel across the border now(especially with relaxed Covid protocols for PCR testing).  This isn’t like getting out of Toronto to avoid lots of Hondurans.

If it’s in Hamilton so be it, but I truly fail to understand the upside here 

From a players perspective it’s a lot less travel for the European based - ie all our stars.  During a 10 day window for them there will be 9 hours less flights to and from Vancouver, 4- 2 hour shorter flight segments.  That’s 18 hours less travel for them in a short window.  Of course they would prefer it.  This is entirely due to player preferences and from their perspective I can respect it.  18 hours less travel in 10 days is a lot of time.

14 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t think there will be.  The US is hosting 2 games that window and will be focused on those.  Hamilton is just enough out of the way that it should avoid a big US crowd. 

One thing I agree with Wheels on.  If we can't get out and get the tickets first it's our own fault.  I see people complaining sometimes about no advertising, well the foreigners sure always seem to know.

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

From a players perspective it’s a lot less travel for the European based - ie all our stars.  During a 10 day window for them there will be 9 hours less flights to and from Vancouver, 4- 2 hour shorter flight segments.  That’s 18 hours less travel for them in a short window.  Of course they would prefer it.  This is entirely due to player preferences and from their perspective I can respect it.  18 hours less travel in 10 days is a lot of time.

Where are you getting this 18 hours from?

7 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think your math is off here. Playing in Hamilton only saves time on 2 flight segments - Honduras to Canada & Canada to El Salvador.

The first game is in Honduras in this window. So the players will be joining up somewhere closer (Florida?). They won't be flying to Canada first.

The 3rd match is in El Salvador. So after that game the players will head back to their clubs.

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Where are you getting this 18 hours from?

I think I broke it down.  If you are coming from Europe, the flight to Toronto is 5 hours shorter than the flight to Vancouver- if you can get a direct flight.  2x5=10

The 2 round trips to and from Central America are 2 hours longer each 2x4=8

Thats 18 hours.  The math isn’t hard here.

Just now, baulderdash77 said:

I think I broke it down.  If you are coming from Europe, the flight to Toronto is 5 hours shorter than the flight to Vancouver- if you can get a direct flight.  2x5=10

They won't be meeting up in Canada first though. And they won't leave from Canada.

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

You can’t be serious?! 

People forget about time zones as well.  If you leave BC on the Sunday at midnight, you don't arrive til about 10 am in El Salvador...plus the shithousery the local authorities having you sit on the tarmac again and you are lucky to get to the hotel by 1 pm on Monday.  Forget about doing anything that day other than a team meeting at dinner.  

V’s 

as someone who was in Edmonton with my son

saw the players in the gym and around the hotel in a 2 game window at various times

keep in mind -most of the team are from the GTA ( quick math TBH) so for a 2 game window like YEG that was a lot of down time for the group 

with a 1 game window, Many can see families too to set up the best environment to take points too #pointsmoreimportantthanmatchlocation 

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Here are distances from Munich to Orlando (guess at pre-camp) to San Pedro Sula, Toronto, San Salvador, Munich
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MUC-MCO-SAP-YYZ-SAL-MUC&MS=wls&DU=km

Similar routing with Toronto and Vancouver swapped:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MUC-MCO-SAP-YVR-SAL-MUC&DU=wls&DU=km

3200 km difference.
(Not Hard)

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

People forget about time zones as well.  If you leave BC on the Sunday at midnight, you don't arrive til about 10 am in El Salvador...plus the shithousery the local authorities having you sit on the tarmac again and you are lucky to get to the hotel by 1 pm on Monday.  Forget about doing anything that day other than a team meeting at dinner.  

Also, wouldn't going from local time to eastern to pacific and then back to eastern mess with them?  They could be zombies by the time the El Salvador game rolls around.

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This is a good point, but if they’re coming from Toronto, they’re not doing anything other than a team meeting later anyway.  They would never practise the day after a game.  Also, if they were to come from Vancouver, who is to say the game gets played at 7pm local time?  Now that game is the same day as the championship games in the AFC and NFC, so would they be worried about early viewers not watching the game?  I don’t know 

3 minutes ago, ardsa said:

Here are distances from Munich to Orlando (guess at pre-camp) to San Pedro Sula, Toronto, San Salvador, Munich
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MUC-MCO-SAP-YYZ-SAL-MUC&MS=wls&DU=km

Similar routing with Toronto and Vancouver swapped:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MUC-MCO-SAP-YVR-SAL-MUC&DU=wls&DU=km

3200 km difference.
(Not Hard)

That means that Vancouver is a 40% increase in travel (based on the legs done in North America).  Seems significant to me.

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

This is a good point, but if they’re coming from Toronto, they’re not doing anything other than a team meeting later anyway.  They would never practise the day after a game.  Also, if they were to come from Vancouver, who is to say the game gets played at 7pm local time?  Now that game is the same day as the championship games in the AFC and NFC, so would they be worried about early viewers not watching the game?  I don’t know 

Every single qualifier has taken place in the evening (6 pm or later local).  Think this is a requirement.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Every single qualifier has taken place in the evening (6 pm or later local).  Think this is a requirement.

I don't think there is any rule about start times.

Jamaica has played as early as 5pm local.

We are lucky that Honduras probably won't play that trick on us as January is not one of their hottest months.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think there is any rule about start times.

Jamaica has played as early as 5pm local.

We are lucky that Honduras probably won't play that trick on us as January is not one of their hottest months.

Actually that was 6 pm local if I recall.  They don't move the clocks back.

16 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

That means that Vancouver is a 40% increase in travel (based on the legs done in North America).  Seems significant to me.

About right.
Extra 1600 km in the air or about 2 hours extra on each leg to/from Canada.
Time change from Honduras and El Salvador is +1 to Ontario and -2 to Vancouver.
There is an impact going to Vancouver, but I'm not sure it should be considered extreme.

With the USA team in northern climate throughout and Canada going to/from warmer climates playing outside in Hamilton vs inside in Vancouver may benefit the US team.