Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Making it a bit more difficult for them while making it a whole lot difficult for us travel wise doesn't make sense. This is about what our players feel is best for Team Canada, not about what our players feel will be worse for  Team USA. Not to mention getting points in central america is just as important as getting a result versus the states. 

Fine..I don’t think the 2 extra hours is that big of a deal, but I’m not an expert. If you think playing on a shitty field, in likely very cold weather after coming from very hot weather, when your competitor has the least amount of travel is the better option, well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree here 

3 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Fine..I don’t think the 2 extra hours is that big of a deal, but I’m not an expert. If you think playing on a shitty field, in likely very cold weather after coming from very hot weather, when your competitor has the least amount of travel is the better option, well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree here 

lol nice cheap shots.... the players disagree with you too. 

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

I don't think the field will be any less shitty in Vancouver. 

5 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Allegedly 

"Allegedly" 

Then head coach John Herdman threw one of his patented curveballs after the win over Mexico.

"I think everyone's got to understand the travel realities of January," said Herdman. "There's some ridiculous travel commitments there, and we've got to put the players' health, safety as well as the performance at risk. This isn't about touring the country and having a celebration, it's about going to the Qatar World Cup. We will do everything we need to do to do that."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/five-burning-questions-canada-finish-world-cup-qualifying/

Just now, ShralpShralpShral said:

I would say Herdman confirmed that in his conference

I don’t think they actually care that much.  I’ve worked around professional athletes for almost 15 years.  The one thing at the end of the day I’ve learned is they care mostly about themselves and $$.  

IMO it doesn't matter where we play the US, there will be no advantage to be gained, they pretty much have the same experience as us.  Some of them raised in colder temperatures on plastic pitches.  This time it's just us vs them and may the better team (us) win.  :)

We're looking at setting ourselves up for all three games.

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I don’t think they actually care that much.  I’ve worked around professional athletes for almost 15 years.  The one thing at the end of the day I’ve learned is they care mostly about themselves and $$.  

I wouldn't disagree with that except this time I don't think that's the motivation at play here.

59 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Thinking about flying out east for the game… does it logistically make sense to stay in Toronto and commute into Hamilton for the game? Thinking of coming for the weekend.

Plenty of commuting options. Check out the GO train and GO bus. There seem to be plenty of bus departures from Hamilton to Toronto even late Sunday night. There are also plenty of GO train departures late in the evening as well. 

Someone else might have to help with stadium to GO station info for Hamilton. I’ve heard that’s changed but I’m not really sure how. 

Short, short version though is that commuting should be very doable from Toronto. A late game will make it a quite late return back however. 

I'm really disappointed by this but I actually understand the travel issues 

To me the big takeaway is this country should be embarrassed by the lack of appropriate facilities.

No disrespect to the people of Hamilton but I do not enjoy watching a football match from Tim Hortons field. Mostly because the conditions and the wide open feeling just zaps the energy out. I can only imagine what January will feel like. 

Anyways, whatever, let's just go get 3pts 

18 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Haha..that reminds me, if the game were to be in Vancouver, I need to wax my snowboard for when I go up to whistler the Saturday before the game Sunday.  No ulterior motive here in my case though..

I would have considered that option as well, if the match is in Vancouver which looks like a long shot at this point I will be hitting Whistler for sure!

Lakeshore West to West Harbour go station would be best bet. Runs hourly on Sundays. From West Harbour GO Station you'd take the HSR city bus to THF. 

On Sunday the last train leaving West Harbour back to Toronto is 11:13

https://www.gotransit.com/static_files/gotransit/assets/pdf/TripPlanning/FullSchedules/FS16102021/Table01.pdf

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

To me the big takeaway is this country should be embarrassed by the lack of appropriate facilities.

I don't think that is a fair comment.  It is an issue of scheduling, same as Argos and TFC at BMO.  We have two turf, soccer facilities but the real problem is we are playing in the dead of winter which we normally don't do. 

Who is going to lay out the money for a turf, domed stadium which will rarely be used in the winter or the turf would have to be protected somehow.  Also growing turf in Canada indoors in the winter is something which I am not sure we have solved or the Jays would have done it as they intended.

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't think that is a fair comment.  It is an issue of scheduling, same as Argos and TFC at BMO.  We have two turf, soccer facilities but the real problem is we are playing in the dead of winter which we normally don't do. 

Who is going to lay out the money for a turf, domed stadium which will rarely be used in the winter or the turf would have to be protected somehow.  Also growing turf in Canada indoors in the winter is something which I am not sure we have solved or the Jays would have done it as they intended.

Its also totally unprecedented to have WCQ in January. This is a covid scheduling issue that hopefully never happens again.

3 hours ago, theaub said:

I think there will be a sizeable American contingent in Hamilton.

I don’t think there will be.  The US is hosting 2 games that window and will be focused on those.  Hamilton is just enough out of the way that it should avoid a big US crowd.  

I expect this game will sell out fast as well.  It’s shaping to be a huge game and the hype for Canada soccer is building 

15 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Well its either the players or Herdman and his staff pushing this (or both for all we know).

Everybody else assumed it would be Vancouver and we have been proven wrong.

Just now, Joe MacCarthy said:

The country has sh*t weather. It's been like that since ah forever. We have how many stadiums built with this in mind? 3 and 2 of the 3 are dated and crap. Are we not a G7 first world country?

We're taking the World Cup to where? Commonwealth stadium? Built in 1905 with a track and field track. Because I can't wait for that next 50k spectator track and field meet. 

Cmon people, be honest. It's a complete joke

12 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Plenty of commuting options. Check out the GO train and GO bus. There seem to be plenty of bus departures from Hamilton to Toronto even late Sunday night. There are also plenty of GO train departures late in the evening as well. 

Someone else might have to help with stadium to GO station info for Hamilton. I’ve heard that’s changed but I’m not really sure how. 

Short, short version though is that commuting should be very doable from Toronto. A late game will make it a quite late return back however. 

As has been mentioned the Lakeshore West GO Train to the West Harbour station is the best train option , then a short walk to catch the #2 Barton to the stadium! Some may prefer to take the Express bus from Union and that may be a faster option, once again you would catch an Eastbound #2 Barton at the Hamilton GO Center, it's about a 15 minute trip from there!

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

Well its either the players or Herdman and his staff pushing this (or both for all we know).

Everybody else assumed it would be Vancouver and we have been proven wrong.

Well, I’ll wait until the official confirmation comes out.  I haven’t seen anyone else besides Goff reporting this