Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

19 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Not many in these temps.  Hardcore sams army types maybe.  Vancouver would have been a major US influx from Seattle 

Very good point. Lush Vancouver would have PNW Americans coming up from the same climatic zone. They wouldn't be bothered in the slightest, not to mention Americans from elsewhere that could easily stand the rainy winter weather. 

Don't quote me on it, but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect temp stands are going in with the Leafs-Sabres playing the Heritage Classic at THF in March.

Since the Outdoor Game craze of the last decade, the lowest sold attendance (can't count the 0 fan Tahoe games) for an NHL outdoor game was still about 30,000. I can't imagine the leagues most popular market (and the very drivable Buffalo market) would demand anything less. The last time either of these teams hosted an outdoor game they had an attendance over 40k, but THF in it's current state only hosts 23k.

I’m just trying to figure out the upside here to Hamilton over Vancouver.

“It’s cold.” But the US will be able to handle it.  They’re playing in Columbus for Christ sake just before.  We’re a good team with pace.  Playing on a brand new field in clear conditions should be welcomed. 

“They want to be closer to family.” Fly them out to Vancouver then.  I’m sure most would be there anyway to support them. 

“Extra flight time”..ok, this I can understand, but Honduras to Toronto is 4 and a half hours.  Honduras to Vancouver is 6 and half a hours.  Columbus to Toronto is an hour.  Columbus to Vancouver is 4 and a half hours. What do you think the US prefers?  Is the two hours really that huge? The time change is a wash for everyone involved at that point with both teams having guys from Europe coming over and going from EST to pacific time.

As I said earlier, I don’t think it plays a factor in the crowd numbers.  Americans will travel across the border now(especially with relaxed Covid protocols for PCR testing).  This isn’t like getting out of Toronto to avoid lots of Hondurans.

If it’s in Hamilton so be it, but I truly fail to understand the upside here 

Just now, EJsens1 said:

“It’s cold.” But the US will be able to handle it.  They’re playing in Columbus for Christ sake just before.  We’re a good team with pace.  Playing on a brand new field in clear conditions should be welcomed. 

“They want to be closer to family.” Fly them out to Vancouver then.  I’m sure most would be there anyway to support them. 

“Extra flight time”..ok, this I can understand, but Honduras to Toronto is 4 and a half hours.  Honduras to Vancouver is 6 and half a hours.  Columbus to Toronto is an hour.  Columbus to Vancouver is 4 and a half hours. What do you think the US prefers?  Is the two hours really that huge? The time change is a wash for everyone involved at that point with both teams having guys from Europe coming over and going from EST to pacific time.

As I said earlier, I don’t think it plays a factor in the crowd numbers.  Americans will travel across the border now(especially with relaxed Covid protocols for PCR testing).  This isn’t like getting out of Toronto to avoid lots of Hondurans.

I honestly think it comes down to one fact - the players seem to prefer to play in Toronto.   That may not be universal, and I don’t feel like digging up the references (which I think have been requested and provided a few times) but I think that is the general sentiment.   The Edmonton games were amazing and it sure looked like the boys enjoyed themselves, but if their general preference is for Toronto and a Herdman supports that, there will always be a lot of inertia to move in that direction.  

8 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Comes down to the players preferring Toronto, and BMO probably not being available due to growing grass in January. Next closes thing is THF and Hamilton. Nothing to do with making it cold for Americans. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I honestly think it comes down to one fact - the players seem to prefer to play in Toronto.   That may not be universal, and I don’t feel like digging up the references (which I think have been requested and provided a few times) but I think that is the general sentiment.   The Edmonton games were amazing and it sure looked like the boys enjoyed themselves, but if their general preference is for Toronto and a Herdman supports that, there will always be a lot of inertia to move in that direction.  

If I had to choose, I’d do Toronto too.  But we don’t live in a country where the weather cooperates year round for the most part, so we need to practical.  Herdman was right, it’s not a tour across the country.  Nobody with a brain is truly looking at it that way.  In fact as I look now, Honduras is central time, so we save an hour on top of it!!

8 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

We have to fly to Honduras AND El Salvador in under a week. It adds up. Not to mention the time it will already take our European players to fly from overseas. If we were to play in Vancouver we likely add at least 10 extra flight hours total for our guys. 

The question then turns to: what advantage does Vancouver give us? I don't see one.

Edited by CanadaFan123

14 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Don't quote me on it, but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect temp stands are going in with the Leafs-Sabres playing the Heritage Classic at THF in March.

Since the Outdoor Game craze of the last decade, the lowest sold attendance (can't count the 0 fan Tahoe games) for an NHL outdoor game was still about 30,000. I can't imagine the leagues most popular market (and the very drivable Buffalo market) would demand anything less. The last time either of these teams hosted an outdoor game they had an attendance over 40k, but THF in it's current state only hosts 23k.

I think the Grey Cup is also at THF in a few weeks, not sure if any additional seating will be placed for that though

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We have to fly to Honduras AND El Salvador in under a week. It adds up. Not to mention the time it will already take our European players to fly from overseas.

The question then turns to: what advantage does Vancouver give us? I don't see one.

The flight to Honduras will be short.  I’d be stunned if they have a camp here in Canada.  They’ll meet in Florida and catch a quick flight over.  If I’m a player, I’ll take the extra couple hours flight to Vancouver knowing it’s making life more difficult for the States, but that’s just me 

We have to fly to Honduras AND El Salvador in under a week. It adds up. Not to mention the time it will already take our European players to fly from overseas.

I'm selfishly happy the game will be in Hamilton.

But Vancouver's advantages are:

-guaranteed no climate issues for match

-ability to sell more tickets 

-spreading the games around 

I'm sure someone else will come up with others.

Just now, EJsens1 said:

The flight to Honduras will be short.  I’d be stunned if they have a camp here in Canada.  They’ll meet in Florida and catch a quick flight over.  If I’m a player, I’ll take the extra couple hours flight to Vancouver knowing it’s making life more difficult for the States, but that’s just me 

How is it making life more difficult for the States? We have a longer flight from Honduras than they do from Columbus.

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

How does it make their lives more difficult? The extra travel? Because you're asking our players to travel more in order to make the states travel more. If anything, pretty sure the flight from San Pedro Sula to Vancouver is a lot worse than from Columbus to Vancouver. 

Edited by Approve My Account Pls
Grade 2 grammar

Just now, narduch said:

I'm selfishly happy the game will be in Hamilton.

But Vancouver's advantages are:

-guaranteed no climate issues for match

-ability to sell more tickets 

-spreading the games around 

I'm sure someone else will come up with others.

None of those are advantages from a competitive perspective but that's my fault for not clarifying. 

None of those are advantages from a competitive perspective but that's my fault for not clarifying. 

Hamilton doesn't really offer much in that way either. Other than the shorter flight times. But they are even shorter for the US too.

Just now, narduch said:

Hamilton doesn't really offer much in that way either. Other than the shorter flight times. But they are even shorter for the US too.

I agree with this but at this point its not about gaining a competitive advantage, its about minimizing the disadvantage to our players by cutting the flying time almost in half.

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

How does it make their lives more difficult? The extra travel? Because you're asking our players to travel more in order to make the states travel more. If anything, pretty sure the flight from San Pedro Sula to Vancouver is a lot worst than from Columbus to Vancouver. 

We can agree to disagree here.  Like I said earlier, its 4 and half hours to Toronto and 6 and a half to Vancouver from Honduras.  If we play it in Hamilton, it’s a nice cosy trip between Columbus-Toronto-Minneapolis (assuming that’s where they fly). Let’s make like more difficult for them. They have a longer flight at that point now.  We already do.  I don’t think the extra 2 hours makes a difference.  They’re team we’re competing against for a spot.  We need to make it more difficult for them.  I know you’ll argue back saying it makes us harder on us.  I don’t really see it that way 

5 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

We can agree to disagree here.  Like I said earlier, its 4 and half hours to Toronto and 6 and a half to Vancouver from Honduras.  If we play it in Hamilton, it’s a nice cosy trip between Columbus-Toronto-Minneapolis (assuming that’s where they fly). Let’s make like more difficult for them. They have a longer flight at that point now.  We already do.  I don’t think the extra 2 hours makes a difference.  They’re team we’re competing against for a spot.  We need to make it more difficult for them.  I know you’ll argue back saying it makes us harder on us.  I don’t really see it that way 

I don't think this is about the Americans.

This is about giving us the greater chance to win the road game in El Salvador. 

11 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Making it a bit more difficult for them while making it a whole lot more difficult for us travel wise doesn't make sense.

This is about what our players feel is best for Team Canada, not about what our players feel will be worse for Team USA. Not to mention getting points in central america is just as important as getting a result versus the states. 

Edited by king1010