Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

2 minutes ago, gator said:

The CSA should pay the locals to deny parking to any cars with US plates - you know, to delay their access to the stadium!

16 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I was looking at THF and they were showing the prices for the Grey Cup in a couple weeks. These are outrageous. If Hamilton isn’t there, good luck selling this one out 

6D9E71B9-1C2F-4CE6-8B32-2A881D98C53D.png

Completely agree! It's not looking like the Tabbies will be there so it will be a tough sell, maybe a there will be lots of Argo fans come for it, oh wait, they don't have many to begin with!😀 I probably would have gone just for the event if prices weren't this stupid but I think I will save my $$$ for future WCQ matches! By no means does this reflect the appetite for tickets for a qualifying match if it was to be played here, as long as there wasn't gouging like the CFL is doing the game will sell out in no time!

28 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I was looking at THF and they were showing the prices for the Grey Cup in a couple weeks. These are outrageous. If Hamilton isn’t there, good luck selling this one out 

6D9E71B9-1C2F-4CE6-8B32-2A881D98C53D.png

It is actually pretty close to being sold out as I type this. There was no temp. seating added due to the pandemic so its only around 24K capacity. 

54 minutes ago, Cblake said:

It is actually pretty close to being sold out as I type this. There was no temp. seating added due to the pandemic so its only around 24K capacity. 

Well good for the CFL.  I find those prices mind blowing but if others want to pay it go for it.  
I already booked a flight to Vancouver for January and with it likely not being there, I might take the credit and go to Costa Rica.  With the likelihood of the PCR being dropped tomorrow for Americans in its entirety, that will encourage many Americans who are double vaccinated to come up for this game 

Ignoring for one second where this game ends up...

...if these multiple reports are true, if the players and the coaches who were in Edmonton Tuesday want a repeat of that on January 30 (and perhaps worse), that says a lot:

• What a team (not individuals) if they're willing to suffer together through a -10C game knowingly. There's no chance past players would agree to that collectively, and most wouldn't agree to it individually, in past cycles. IMHO.
  • STFU about the pitch last week. You may be right, but apparently there's 25 people who are willing (eager?) to risk playing on something similar again.
  • Admire that the new CSA is willing to put in time and effort exploring multiple options solely because "the team" wants it. Granted, a $14M prize gets the CSA's attention (and effort?) but I don't think many in this forum would have believed that anyone @ CSA would put the MNT above all else - let alone everyone working on this today. Perhaps.
  • I struggle to believe players want to play in -10C in the dark, on a frozen pitch, regardless of any perceived pain their opponent might go through. +19C sounds like a healthier environment. Guess I'm 💯 wrong!
  • It seemed strange that Costa Rica would fly commercial (economy?) for 3.5 hours, hang around for 3 hours in an airport, then charter for 4 hours. That's a hell of a lot of effort to avoid a 7 hour non-stop flight. Looks like our players are willing to go even further to avoid a lengthy flight prior to a match?

Coldest I've ever felt was a -20C morning in Scarborough shovelling snow in the slight breeze. Some of you noticed that I found -10C quite reasonable on Tuesday. -45C with an open jacket is fine for me...out west. I wouldn't wish a Toronto -20C night on my worst enemy i.e. the U.S.

Hope everything works out for all (Canadians) concerned.

22 hours ago, boris4c said:

I mean, TD Place is just as good and IMO looks much better than THF, not to mention that there is a roof on both stands providing decent coverage. It was renovated a few years ago and one of the stands was torn down completely and rebuilt so it is effectively just as new. It has a slightly larger capacity than THF as well. 

The game would no doubt be a sell-out. 

The only pro in favour of Hamilton that I see is the milder winter climate. TD Place says goodbye to plastic straws - Ottawa REDBLACKS

Ottawa RedBlacks Game 5 at TD Place - Aerial video - YouTube

Aerial Photo | TD Place Stadium, Ottawa

I’ve lived within 10 blocks of (what is now called) TD Place for nearly 30 years, and there is ZERO chance of a World Cup qualifying match being played there in late January.

If I’m wrong, the Beavertails are on me after we go for a pre-match skate Jan. 30 on the Rideau Canal (which you can see in the photos). 

Edited by Treppy2

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

If it does go to Toronto or Hamilton, I may need some hotel recommendations.   

For hotel accommodations I would suggest Royal York or Hotel Toronto X or Intercontinental in downtown Toronto or the Marriott especially if it goes to Toronto 

But if it is in Hamilton, I don't really know a lot of hotels

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

For hotel accommodations I would suggest Royal York or Hotel Toronto X or Intercontinental in downtown Toronto or the Marriott especially if it goes to Toronto 

But if it is in Hamilton, I don't really know a lot of hotels

They stayed at the delta last time. Would probably be the same. 

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I wonder how much it’s going to affect the players to go from around 30c to -10c and back to 30c… those are big swings in temperature.  At least with Edmonton you were in a consistent climate the whole time.

Maybe I am underestimating the impact but I don’t see that as a big factor - at least no bigger than just playing in the heat and humidity by itself.   The transitions themselves don’t seem like a big deal.  

17 hours ago, king1010 said:

That was in 2014. As far as I know, they've refined the protocols since then. Accumulation outside a storm is rare, as the heating system in the roof keeps the snow from building up.

What's next, we avoid scheduling storms in central Canada during thunderstorm season?

10 hours ago, Footscray said:

I know I'm just splitting hairs at this point so bear with me lol but is snow in Hamilton or Montreal in January really a force majeure?

Think a force majeure is defined as an event that is unforeseeable and can not be avoided with due diligence.

By that definition, being flooded living below the 100-year flood line isn't a force-majeure either. Better bring back the troops from Abbotsford.

(of course it's a force majeure!)

Edited by nfitz

5 hours ago, ddoouugg said:

wonder how much of this is the blazers trying to get the game in to Toronto to schmooze all the business types.Season 5 Tom GIF by Parks and Recreation

Then I don't mind the game being in Toronto come January but even then they will most likely try to have the game take place at Rogers Centre and convert it from a baseball stadium into a soccer stadium and it's not like Rogers Centre hasn't done something like that before 

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

That was in 2014. As far as I know, they've refined the protocols since then. Accumulation outside a storm is rare, as the heating system in the roof keeps the snow from building up.

What's next, we avoid scheduling storms in central Canada during thunderstorm season?

By that definition, being flooded living below the 100-year flood line isn't a force-majeure either. Better bring back the troops from Abbotsford.

(of course it's a force majeure!)

As of December 2017 it still appears to be an issue. 

I don't agree in comparing an outdoor thunderstorm risk to the integrity of a stadium roof. To answer your "what's next" I'd say not scheduling a game in a stadium with structural issues risking the cancellation of a game. 

The main bowl is only usable half the year because the roof risks collapse with even a three-centimetre snowfall. A new roof should fix that.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-owing-never-ends-at-the-big-o-montreals-olympicstadium/article37169871/

The heated roof can handle small amounts of snow, but not large snow storms. The heating system also doesn't address the issue with the cabling system. 

https://montrealgazette.com/news/no-danger-whatsoever-despite-snow-olympic-stadium-ready-to-host-blue-jays-games

The stadium’s roof is also heated — a heating system is installed between the roof’s two canvases — which means small amounts of snow usually melt before accumulating, which Essiminy expects to be the case this weekend.

For an event to take place, three conditions need to be met: no storm of more than three centimetres of snow or three millimetres of freezing rain can be expected during the event, there can’t be more than five metric tonnes of snow or ice on the roof when the event starts and there can’t be any accumulation of ice on the Olympic Stadium’s tower or its suspension cables. 

Edited by king1010

On 11/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, narduch said:

...My guess is BMO Field grounds crew also told them they can't have the field ready in time... 

Why not? This article had one of them mentioning "But this will give me the peace of mind in January, February, December". It is the same type of hybrid surface as Lambeau Field in Green Bay, which apparently looked okay in January earlier this year. The middle part of the field looked a little worn as the game went on, but that's with 300-lb linemen pushing against each other on every play.

https://youtu.be/Gt6NsqMbByo 

Edited by Heepster

4 minutes ago, Heepster said:

Why not? This article had one of them mentioning "But this will give me the peace of mind in January, February, December". It is the same type of hybrid surface as Lambeau Field in Green Bay, which apparently looked okay in January earlier this year. 

https://youtu.be/Gt6NsqMbByo 

This is my own speculation.

The Tim Hortons Field rumors only started because BMO Filed can't get ready by January 30.

There is an Argos game at BMO on December 5.

Perhaps they need more than 2 months to replace the current grass and let the new grass take hold and grow a bit.