Travel for January 30 Canada match

VinceA

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

Though I wonder if we should as a group push for a better distribution of other games - friendlies, Nations League, and Gold Cup matches. Is it really fair that Atlantic Canada hasn't seen a match since ... since ... gosh, has there been anything since 1985?

Ultimately I think it builds the sport. Even if it's not as good for me.

I don't think we need to mention it; Canada Soccer already knows.  But it has to make sense from a business perspective as well.  For example, if you were to put a World Cup qualifier in a 7,500 seat stadium, when it could be in a 30,000 seat stadium, your ticket pricing would be quadruple and then it would be pricing out the folks you really want to attract.  But for some lower profile matches, it would make sense to spread the wealth.

44 minutes ago, sstackho said:

FIFA regs:

The host association shall inform its opponents and the FIFA general secretariat of the kick-off time at least 60 days before the match in question is due to be played.

Goff reports that the location of the Canada match may impact the U.S.'s choice of where to host their matches.  So we should announce our location as late as possible.  

Sorry, my FIFA regulations quote above was for the kickoff time.  

Apparently, we are supposed to give at least three months notice for the venue.  🤔

The venues of matches shall be set by the host association and/or by the confederation, as applicable, and the matches may only be played in stadiums that have been inspected and approved by the confederation concerned. The opponents and the FIFA general secretariat shall be notified by the host association and/or by the confederation, as applicable, at least three months before the match in question is due to be played.

Edited by sstackho

17 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Apparently, we are supposed to give at least three months notice for the venue.  🤔

The venues of matches shall be set by the host association and/or by the confederation, as applicable, and the matches may only be played in stadiums that have been inspected and approved by the confederation concerned. The opponents and the FIFA general secretariat shall be notified by the host association and/or by the confederation, as applicable, at least three months before the match in question is due to be played.

So according to this the match will have to be announced soon, I think THF will check all the boxes for FIFA as Concacaf League and Pan Am Games matches have been played here!

19 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Fairly certain that due to covid they aren't enforcing this 

Gotta be BC place in January, scheduling it outdoors in a small stadium within short travel distance of a ton of huge major US cities seems like a bad call for so many reasons.  Though I wouldn't put it out of realm of possibilities as the Forge owner seems to be very influential and be getting his way within the CPL landscape I think it would be a terrible decision.

16 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Gotta be BC place in January, scheduling it outdoors in a small stadium within short travel distance of a ton of huge major US cities seems like a bad call for so many reasons.  Though I wouldn't put it out of realm of possibilities as the Forge owner seems to be very influential and be getting his way within the CPL landscape I think it would be a terrible decision.

It's not the CSA or Forge owner pushing this. It's the players and the coaches. They want to be closer to and from Central America as well as to and from Europe. You actually think with us this close to qualifying the CSA is letting the Forge owner decide where we play our critical WCQ? 

The short travel distance to US cities is a wash as Seattle and Portland fans(some of the most passionate in the States) would flock to vancouver as they never host US home games on the west coast. 

Add to that flight time from Honduras to Toronto is 4.5 hours, Honduras to Vancouver is 6.5 hours... then do it again for game 3 in El Salvador it starts to add up. 

Edited by king1010

The schedule is really working against Vancouver here unfortunately. The back and forth travel is going to be very tough for the team. 

I’m not sure I have a preference here. Vancouver deserves a chance to see this team much like we got here in Edmonton, but if it’s in Toronto, tickets will be that much easier to come by. 

32 minutes ago, king1010 said:

It's not the CSA or Fore owner pushing this. It's the players and the coaches. They want to be closer to and from Central America as well as to and from Europe. 

The short travel distance to US cities is a wash as Seattle and Portland fans(some of the most passionate in the States) would flock to vancouver as they never host US home games on the west coast. 

Seattle and Portland are tiny compared to the population base in the NE.  I don't care how passionate they are there are more people in the US within a half day's drive of Hamilton than there are in all of Canada a few times over.  

Canada is going to be chartering in this window anyway and the club meeting first in central america, flight up to canada, then back to central america and home so vancouver vs ontario is probably an hour and a half extra flight time max.

Even if they stupidly insist on playing outdoors in January, with probably a 50% chance of the game being cancelled due to weather, you play in Ottawa further from the border

Edited by Footscray

2 minutes ago, Footscray said:

Seattle and Portland are tiny compared to the population base in the NE.  I don't care how passionate they are there are more people in the US within a half day's drive of Hamilton than there are in all of Canada a few times over.  

Canada is going to be chartering in this window anyway and the club meeting first in central america, flight up to canada, then back to central america and home so vancouver vs ontario is probably an hour and a half extra flight time max.

If they are playing in Hamilton it is 100% Bob Young, even if they stupidly insist on playing outdoors in January, with probably a 50% chance of the game being cancelled due to weather, you play in Ottawa further from the border

Sorry dude. The players don't agree with you. They're making the choices. 

5 minutes ago, TheDoon said:

The schedule is really working against Vancouver here unfortunately. The back and forth travel is going to be very tough for the team. 

I’m not sure I have a preference here. Vancouver deserves a chance to see this team much like we got here in Edmonton, but if it’s in Toronto, tickets will be that much easier to come by. 

Really when you think about the sites, travel should not be a huge factor in Vancouver being considered.  If they had to fly from europe to vancouver I would totally agree, but the euros will fly in to central america, up to canada and then back to CA and home from there.  So whether that flight goes to Vancouver or Toronto/Hamilton, you're probably talking about an addition of an hour or two each way max and if it's player comfort that's the decider with all due respect Vancouver vs Hamilton in January is not a hard call.

Edited by Footscray

4 minutes ago, Footscray said:

You sound like you know this is happening for sure?  Honestly playing outdoors in January in a small second rate stadium on the eastern US border is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while

sounds like you're taking this personally.

Did you read/ see Herdman's post game interview yesterday coupled with Rollin's and Goff's tweets. Writing is almost on the wall. Try to think in the players shoes. 

Edited by king1010

Just now, king1010 said:

sounds like you're taking this personally.

Did you read/ see Herdman's post game interview yesterday coupled with Rollin's and Goff's tweets. Writing is almost on the wall. Try to think in the players shoes. 

If you think about it there is minimal difference to the players, an hour on the charter each way probably over the whole window.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:39 PM, footballfreak said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I didn’t read every post. Worth considering since these guys aren’t robots.

January window is Honduras —> Canada —> El Salvador

Flight times according to the janky flight calculator I used. 

4:31 San Pedro Sula —> Toronto

4:47 Toronto —> San Salvador

Total Flight time: 9:18

——-

6:36 San Pedro Sula —> Vancouver

6:44 Vancouver —> San Salvador

Total flight time: 13:20

——

I expected a little bit of a bump, but I was surprised by how much longer the trips got.

Costa Rica —> Canada —> Panama would be even longer (ex: 7:59 Vancouver —> Panama City).

Bumped for doing the math. 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

After listening to the Herdsman, I don't think it will be Vancouver

I get that feeling also. If that's what it's going to be then get to work and who cares about the cost.. get the skydome or the Big O up to snuff. Get the best possible turf you can in there. You've got 2 months I'm sure it could get done

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I get that feeling also. If that's what it's going to be then get to work and who cares about the cost.. get the skydome or the Big O up to snuff. Get the best possible turf you can in there. You've got 2 months I'm sure it could get done

This... even if the extra couple hours is the kicker (those flight times are commercial with stopovers, charter diff is about 1.5/2 hours) play in a decent sized stadium further from the border.

Outdoors in November is a different beast from outdoors in January.  There is a very real chance the surface will be deemed unplayable in Hamilton.

The other thing is, the impact on our team to play on a high school turf field in January outdoors sandwiched between two games in tropical CA.  Our own team would be the most physically disadvantaged from a physiology perspective trying to recover and train.  

Totally different beast from a whole window in Edmonton in November.

Edited by Footscray

What a joke if they play the game in Toronto/Hamilton. Yeah it's not about touring the country but than why not play in Montreal at least if it's going to be in the east so a different set of fans get a chance to support the team. Also they'll have to fly back and forth from Vancouver once so I don't see the problem with the extra 1.5hrs of flight time.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Also truthfully the whole Iceteca thing was fun and all but I want to see our players express themselves. That's terrible football to watch. 

tbf i thought that the first game vs CR, but last night the lads did very well controlling play on the frozen turf.

Im from Vancouver. I want nothing more then the boys to be welcomed by 60,000~ rabid fans in BC Place, but i also want whats best for the campaign. Just give us a real good Euro friendly when all is said and done, eh??

5 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

tbf i thought that the first game vs CR, but last night the lads did very well controlling play on the frozen turf.

Im from Vancouver. I want nothing more then the boys to be welcomed by 60,000~ rabid fans in BC Place, but i also want whats best for the campaign. Just give us a real good Euro friendly when all is said and done, eh??

I agree, I was just expanding on an earlier point about spending the money to play indoors in Mtl or TO. I get the Vancouver travel thing being an issue. If the home game wasn't sandwiched between 2 away games maybe but that's a lot of travel 

Edited by SpursFlu

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

If they do play in Hamilton, it's even closer to the US border than Toronto is, though not sure how many American fans they are expecting to drive up from Buffalo or wherever else.

If their NFL team makes it to the AFC Championship game again, it happens to be scheduled for Sunday January 30th, so most people in the Buffalo area wouldn't know or care about anything else.