WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I don’t understand the hat. It says “f**k all but the flag” and “dsquared” but I can not read the small print. 

What does it mean or imply?

Not sure what the tag line means myself.. but it's from Canadian designers, apparently.

https://www.dsquared2.com/ca/hat_cod46744980jb.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_and_Dan_Caten

The optics are bad though...the day before CR plays Canada, he wears a hat with the Canadian flag lol

Edited by tovan1

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I don’t understand the hat. It says “f**k all but the flag” and “dsquared” but I can not read the small print. 

It’s a “hype beast” brand of hat. Essentially it’s a piece of clothing or appeal that’s insanely overpriced. For instance the hat he’s wearing is 200 dollars 

28 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You think maybe he's trying to send a message to Herdman and CSA?

Don’t think it’s beef. Maybe it’s Costa Rica’s version of hiring a Trini steel drum band or Jamaican anthem singer. 

Edited by grigorio

My Airbnb is literally across the street from Commonwealth Stadium, so I went for a run around the stadium at lunch. Not much is happening yet, but the Eddies (or the Hammers - couldn't tell which) are practising next door.

I met a Spanish-speaking camera crew and figured they were Costa Rican, so I stopped to talk with them.

They are actually Mexican and are here to report on today's match. The commentator was a really nice guy, and we talked for 10 minutes. They'll be reporting live to Mexico pre-game, at halftime and post-game, "because Mexican fans want to know how their next opponent is playing." He figured that Canada should win tonight. He wasn't so sure about Mexico winning in Cincinnati, though. He said that if Mexico loses tonight, "the fans will demand three points on Tuesday." If they win tonight, a draw on Tuesday will be satisfactory "in these tough conditions." He was full of praise for Canada's team; he thinks they'll qualify directly (in third) for Qatar.

Speaking of the conditions, I was tempted to not wear my coldest weather clothing tonight. After my run, no way! It's going to be really chilly tonight, so long underwear, five layers on top, warm mitts and a neck cowl it will be. I told the Mexican guy to buy a pair of mitts instead of the thin gloves he was wearing, which he said he'd do.

Finally, whoever thought of the Voyageurs gathering in the church hall is a genius! You couldn't ask for better proximity to the stadium.

See everyone there tonight!

Mexico.jpg

Tough to tell from a distance but i get the impression the ticketing process for these games could have been managed better (to say the least). 

It feels like they are pessimistically releasing small blocks of tickets while being blind to the fact the existing amount of demand was already greater than what they released. 

After the game against Panama, they would have been better off just releasing the whole block! 

32 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

My Airbnb is literally across the street from Commonwealth Stadium, so I went for a run around the stadium at lunch. Not much is happening yet, but the Eddies (or the Hammers - couldn't tell which) are practising next door.

I met a Spanish-speaking camera crew and figured they were Costa Rican, so I stopped to talk with them.

They are actually Mexican and are here to report on today's match. The commentator was a really nice guy, and we talked for 10 minutes. They'll be reporting live to Mexico pre-game, at halftime and post-game, "because Mexican fans want to know how their next opponent is playing." He figured that Canada should win tonight. He wasn't so sure about Mexico winning in Cincinnati, though. He said that if Mexico loses tonight, "the fans will demand three points on Tuesday." If they win tonight, a draw on Tuesday will be satisfactory "in these tough conditions." He was full of praise for Canada's team; he thinks they'll qualify directly (in third) for Qatar.

Speaking of the conditions, I was tempted to not wear my coldest weather clothing tonight. After my run, no way! It's going to be really chilly tonight, so long underwear, five layers on top, warm mitts and a neck cowl it will be. I told the Mexican guy to buy a pair of mitts instead of the thin gloves he was wearing, which he said he'd do.

Finally, whoever thought of the Voyageurs gathering in the church hall is a genius! You couldn't ask for better proximity to the stadium.

Mexico.jpg

What was the guy's name?

51 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

Mexico.jpg

Are you on strava? 😂 😆 

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

Arent you guys cutting it close by departing today?   I am surprised. Personally, when i plan things like this i make sure that i depart and arrive the day before the event or else i dont bother going.  You never know about flight delays and a whole host of other unforseen events.  Such as unfamilarity with the place you are going to.   You could end up scambling around trying to find things and places resulting in showing up late to the game or maybe even missing the game.  

also, when (if) you make it to the stadium, you will be there after having spend whole day traveling.

I have a local connection.  She picked me up at the airport and is coming to the game so I have the inside track.  

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Its a lifestyle hat...pretty sure the guys who founded it are Canadian but live in Milan.

Extremely strange choice of hat lol

40 minutes ago, Dre_03 said:

Not sure if its been announced  but this is projected starting 11 from CR tv network.Screenshot_20211112-140557_Chrome.jpg.b0fdb2e9cf5219939b064836993cf2de.jpg

This looks like a misdirect to me unless they’re really saving everything for Honduras or gambling on youth.

• Backline is about as solid as they can field with Matarrita out. beyond that... yeesh.
  • Bennett is 17 - I don’t see it when they have other reserve winger options.
  • Borges, Ruiz and Venegas being kept in reserve I guess. Borges and Ruiz are both on yellows, so that might explain this somewhat. Maybe try and survive the first half and sub these guys in.
  • Galo has played 12 minutes so far in the Ocho. Colour me suspicious 

If we see this lineup, we need to take advantage early so they don’t start believing. Make sure Ruiz, etc never see the pitch.

Just now, Floortom said:

Costa Rica seems to underrate Leal. I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in Nashville but he doesn’t get much time for the National Team 

Yeah that was a huge surprise to me as I was researching them. He wasn’t part of the Gold Cup roster, then he starts two of the three September games, only to be relegated to garbage time in October. Strange.