WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Arent you guys cutting it close by departing today?   I am surprised. Personally, when i plan things like this i make sure that i depart and arrive the day before the event.  You never know about flight delays and a whole host of other unforseen events.  Such as unfamilarity with the place you are going to.   You could end up scambling around trying to find things and places resulting in showing up late to the game or maybe even missing the game.  

also, when (if) you make it to the stadium, you will be there after having spend whole day traveling.

I can’t speak for everyone, but for a lot of us I’m guessing you’re trying to minimize the vacation days used.  Flight times and timing were huge for me.  Of course it’s a risk and after travelling all day, it is what it is.  If you’re a voyageur, do you really care about the fatigue?  I had to work until 11 last night.  Quick turnaround this morning for a 3:40am wake up call for a 6am flight.  It’s the game and stress during that, that burns me out anyway.  This is the furthest we’ve gone in 30 years and we likely won’t have these for the next cycle as we’ll be hosting.  Don’t want to miss it. I get what you’re saying but this just wasn’t practical for everyone.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Arent you guys cutting it close by departing today?   I am surprised. Personally, when i plan things like this i make sure that i depart and arrive the day before the event or else i dont bother going.  You never know about flight delays and a whole host of other unforseen events.  Such as unfamilarity with the place you are going to.   You could end up scambling around trying to find things and places resulting in showing up late to the game or maybe even missing the game.  

also, when (if) you make it to the stadium, you will be there after having spend whole day traveling.

I couldn't swing the day off today, so I have to work an 8 hour shift (my productivity will be spotty at best), drive ~3hrs, check in to the hotel, and hop on the LRT. The stars have to align to get there for kickoff, but man will it be worth it.

Safe travels everybody!

Edited by chalms04

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Arent you guys cutting it close by departing today?   I am surprised. Personally, when i plan things like this i make sure that i depart and arrive the day before the event or else i dont bother going.  You never know about flight delays and a whole host of other unforseen events.  Such as unfamilarity with the place you are going to.   You could end up scambling around trying to find things and places resulting in showing up late to the game or maybe even missing the game.  

You’ll be happy to hear they just announced my flight from Toronto is delayed.  Might be watching it from the airport bar! Haha

So this must have been the last time Canada hosted CR in the final round of WCQ: https://www.11v11.com/matches/canada-v-costa-rica-01-june-1997-247660/

Funny that this match was in Edmonton, too. Only 10,000 fans, and in June no less. 

God, we've come so bloody far! ALLEZ les rouges!

https://youtu.be/ILVg2l8S0Kw

This was Berdusco's last goal in a Canada shirt. His second last goal was also very notable, vs Brazil in 94.

Edited by nolando

33 minutes ago, nolando said:

So this must have been the last time Canada hosted CR in the final round of WCQ: https://www.11v11.com/matches/canada-v-costa-rica-01-june-1997-247660/

Funny that this match was in Edmonton, too. Only 10,000 fans, and in June no less. 

God, we've come so bloody far! ALLEZ les rouges!

https://youtu.be/ILVg2l8S0Kw

I was just starting to be aware of World Cup and Canada's place in the pecking order around the time of this hex round, reading Jim Taylor's recaps in the Sun. Little did I know it would take this freakin long to get back to this final round. So happy to be witnessing it all, sorry I can't be there in Edmonton. I did get to Nashville with my boys and it's one of the best experiences I've ever had. I was in Edmonton against T&T in 2000 and in Montreal against Honduras in 2008 so I didn't know what It felt like to be happy at a Canada game.

Going through a tough time personally right now so it's been amazing to have Canada to follow and enjoy some happy moments. So looking forward to a full stadium and I hope the excitement of the event doesn't have the players trying to do too much out there. Just play solid and under control and they will win.

Edited by closetboostie
Accuracy

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

So, 2 degrees and basically windless for game time.

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/hourly/ab-50_metric_e.html

I think that comes pretty close to ticking all of the boxes:

• uncomfortable for the Ticos
  • tolerable for fans
  • not cold enough to real derail Canada's game plan

Tuesday versus Mexico is looking coooold. 

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Tuesday versus Mexico is looking coooold. 

If the game vs Mexico looks less like a soccer game because of conditions, that is also to our advantage, especially with our players having had an extra week of cold adaptation.

Still miserable for the players on the pitch, even moreso for those on the bench.

2 hours ago, chalms04 said:

I couldn't swing the day off today, so I have to work an 8 hour shift (my productivity will be spotty at best), drive ~3hrs, check in to the hotel, and hop on the LRT. The stars have to align to get there for kickoff, but man will it be worth it.

Safe travels everybody!

Ok. Your situation is a bit different.  You are doing this all by vehicle.   I can see that and i get it. Plus you are probably familiar with where you are going.  I would probably do the same in your shoes.

my point earlier about the need to arrive the day before, is if it involved air travel, connections, large distances, going to unfamiar suroundings, check-in, check outs, accomodations, travel times, wayfaring, and so forth….  So much is unpredicable and can ultimately ruin the experience.   That why I plan to arrive the day before. 

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

You’ll be happy to hear they just announced my flight from Toronto is delayed.  Might be watching it from the airport bar! Haha

This is exactly the kind of stuff i was alluding to and often does happen.  It adds to stress and takes away from the enjoyment.    I hate to be and sound like the planning nerd here but the saying goes that if fail to plan then you are planning to fail.  Long ditance travel requires planning.

murphy’s law is very much a travelling thing.  

Edited by Free kick

This topic is bad ju-ju as my +1 bailed before the trip:

One ticket available beside me in section O. First come first serve. Free but consider donating a couple flags to the Vs.

https://www.thevoyageurs.org/store/product/29-flag-inventory-help-us-out/

DM me your email and I can send it off.

spoken for

Edited by chalms04
Spoken for

A momentous night for the program. Close to 50,000 fans in attendance, main network television exposure, and the chance to secure another 3 points toward possible World Cup qualification.

When we defeated Costa Rica in the Gold Cup quarter-final in July, it was one of the best matches I've ever seen us play. Given how dominant we were against them at a neutral site without our strongest XI, I am really excited for tonight.

9 hours ago, kungfucious said:

call me stupid (right now) or call me correct (in ~20hrs), but i kinda see 5-1 as the final result.  am i on drugs?  no.  im solidly angry at what happened in kingston and if even 1/2 the boys feel that way like i do, that scoreline might not be enough for a squad which doesnt want an easy qualifying road. 

I would temper expectations a little by saying the Ticos have only allowed 5 goals in 6 games. Navas was obviously a huge part of that, and they will be missing him dearly, but this probably isn’t going to be a walk in the park unless we happen to pot a couple early.

I would be happy if we can keep the ball out of our own net in the first 30 minutes and then start to really turn the screws on them. This could be a repeat of Panama where the game stays tight well into the second half before their age will really start to show.

25 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

I would temper expectations a little by saying the Ticos have only allowed 5 goals in 6 games. Navas was obviously a huge part of that, and they will be missing him dearly, but this probably isn’t going to be a walk in the park unless we happen to pot a couple early.

I would be happy if we can keep the ball out of our own net in the first 30 minutes and then start to really turn the screws on them. This could be a repeat of Panama where the game stays tight well into the second half before their age will really start to show.

It's all a question of whether we can get an early goal. From the kickoff Costa Rica are going to be playing a low/mid-block and are not going to bring their troops up so they don't get torched on end runs by Davies/Buchanan. If we can unlock them earlyish of course they'll have to come out to try to salvage a draw and then we should be able to shell them. However they have a lot of experience and poise that will help them absorb the pressure. Can see this one either be like pulling teeth or a full on goalfest. And as everyone knows, losing Navas is a massive subtraction for them. Coin flip what kinda game it turns out to be but if I had to pick a scoreline I'd say 3-0 is a good one. Arguments can be made either way. I took the -1.5 handicap Canada win at 2.65x and I'm pretty confident.