WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

From Twitter, looks like Larin has a stomach bug and is a game time decision tomorrow (although Herdman thinks he should be on the team sheet).  Doesn’t sound like he’s starting.

Wow, that’s very unfortunate for Larin. Hopefully he’s at least available as a sub. Luckily we have depth now. Was always going to be difficult to fit Larin, David, Buchanan, Davies all into the squad unless we use Davies and Buchanan as wingbacks (which leaves Laryea out). Makes squad selections a little easier, and if Larin can still give 20-30 good minutes it may work itself out.

18 hours ago, Free kick said:

The outcome of the Costa rica match may well determine if the mexico match becomes a good game or a snooze fest.  

Was just listening to the latest podcast of extratime radio and Matt doyle made a good point that got me thinking. We have not yet (or seldom ever) had to play as the favourite.  Therefore, can we adapt to playing a game where a side like Mexico regards us as the favourite? when is the last time we ever had to face a top 10 concacaf side who ever had to park the bus against us?   2001 maybe? 

Hence , if we win and continue our current good form against Costa Rica,  Mexico might start to think that an away draw against canada is a perfectly suitable outcome, moreso if they get a decent result in Cincinnatti.  And, Herdman and team might think the same (ie.; four out of six points will do the trick).  This is the perfect recipe for the occurance of those 0-0 snoozefests that you occasionally see in int’l soccer. 

I think this is one of the better takes so far on the board. Let me respond.

First, reading and watching CR previews. They seem pretty clear about coming in a sort of survival mode. They feel if the take it to us, if they could, they'd get stretched and exposed. So they are talking about staying tight and compact, moving forward as they can, and not getting caught by our speed or counter. 

There were some comments by Bolaños that basically the Ticos had already thrown in the towel. Others are saying that if they lose, they are probably out--leaves them with 6 points after 7 matches. So it is technically a must win, but they are not going to go at us,, they are going to play sit and wait and then try to nab a win. 

I expect we will have the play and even possession, will push them, but may find few spaces and will need patience to break them down without letting our guard down for a counter. If they can see themselves near a draw, they'll hold while they have it and push only later if they need to.

Mexico: basically, they played a somewhat similar way against us at Azteca. That is the grandeur of the accomplishment, and they were booed off the field. Mexican pundits said they'd seen rivals get results at Azteca, but rarely seen rivals attack Mexico there.  Then, looking at their sole goal there: a counter, exploiting our poor coverage wide and perhaps our lack of CM help too. They rope-a-doped us a bit there.

Thing is, they are vulnerable like CR to a counter--take Tajon's goal--but have an advantage: they can take possession, dominate play and do it more handily. If they want, they can come forward, and give us less ball and chances. They probably won't want to throw numbers forward, to keep them back to contain Phonzie and co. But looking at their winner in the GC, that was a fine collective bit of play and they had us on our back foot attacking in our half, not countering. So they can do it. If we score first we'll see it. For me, a win and a draw will be a top notch accomplishment: 14 points.

I don't think, then, it is so much about being a favourite, as not being sucked in by being a favourite. Or by the home crowd boost. Some teams can't handle it, and it can trick you as you get bold to go forward and a savvy rival can burn you and deflate your fan noise with one fell swoop, if you are not careful.

CR will give us ball and let us come into their half, but we have to keep the shape and insist, play to our fortes, but not get caught. 

With Mexico, I think as many have said here it will depend on their first result. If they beat the States, or if they have a bit of card decimation, they may not push it, but still: we have to score first to make that work. If they lose to the States they are screwed. That urgency, if they come in might help us too, to counter them, but I don't think it really benefits us to have an angry desperate Mexico in most scenarios.

I'm going to predict we are going to be in a three-way tie for second at 14 points after this window.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Costa Rica basically has two looks right now: a 5-4-1 and a 4-2-3-1. The 5-4-1 got them a point in Honduras, but it was a shooting gallery and that point was almost entirely due to Navas, who isn’t here. Meanwhile they actually threatened the US somewhat in a 4-2-3-1. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either, but I don’t think the 5-4-1 necessarily does them any favours defensively.

• 33% possession in a 541 away to Honduras. 24 shots against, 17 chances against
  • 36% possession in a 4231 away to USA. 12 shots against, 11 chances against.

If I’m CRC, I’d rather have that extra man higher up the field trying to dispossess us than sit in a congested backline waiting for Davies/Buchanan etc to get a free run up. A two man central midfield also all but forces Ruiz out of the game. No way they use him out wide against our pace.

If Matarrita were here we would probably see Keysher Fuller defending Davies higher up the pitch in a right winger role, but I really think they’ll stick him in that vacated LB position now. Oviedo has not been played at his club since February. Ticos fans have been griping that he still gets called.

If I’m wrong, and they do start Oviedo at LB, then Fuller may slot in as the right winger to help shut down Davies. Joel Campbell would then move over to the left side or striker spot. 

Can any East Coast MLS fans speak to Leal/Cruz and how they might fit in? Leal seems to have had a great season with Nashville, but didn’t really figure in October much. Fotmob lists him as a CM, Transfermarkt as a left winger.

Costa Rican press is assuming a loss to Canada and is really only focusing on their home game on Tuesday against Honduras, being a true must win and the most pivotal game of their campaign. 

Against us, they're just hoping to hang on and maybe get lucky. That's literally what one journalist said. Without Navas there's not much hope. 

A coaching change looms on the horizon for them if they don't win against Honduras. A dark cloud hangs over the CR camp. 

This is a huge opportunity for us. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think, then, it is so much about being a favourite, as not being sucked in by being a favourite. Or by the home crowd boost. Some teams can't handle it, and it can trick you as you get bold to go forward and a savvy rival can burn you and deflate your fan noise with one fell swoop, if you are not careful.

I like your phrasing here.  If we are out of a three man back line and we get overly committed going foward, we could get suckerpunched via long diagonal switches behind the wingbacks.  There is also the tendency for individuals to try to do too much on their own, and the screws up our own rhythm.  

We should see plenty of the chicanery that goes with being a road dog in CONCACAF, including organized tactical fouling, injury roll abouts, off-the-ball cheap shots, yapping in the technical areas, all in the attempt to get one of our guys sucked into a retaliatory red card.

54 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Costa Rican press is assuming a loss to Canada and is really only focusing on their home game on Tuesday against Honduras, being a true must win and the most pivotal game of their campaign. 

Against us, they're just hoping to hang on and maybe get lucky. That's literally what one journalist said. Without Navas there's not much hope. 

A coaching change looms on the horizon for them if they don't win against Honduras. A dark cloud hangs over the CR camp. 

This is a huge opportunity for us. 

If they really think this game is a lost cause, we could see some wacky lineup changes if we can take the lead early. Calvo, Oviedo, Borges and Ruiz are all on yellows.

I hope someone showed all of our players this. Keep your head on a swivel Phonzy.

Edited by footballfreak

i tell ya guys, my only concern heading into tomorrow is that field freezing and completely neutralizing our speed/skill advantage. weather forecasts are calling for between 2-6 degrees all afternoon and into the evening, fingers crossed.

if that field is frozen all the "welcome to the cold" jokes could become a lot less funny really quickly.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Up at 4am.  Currently at the truly massive Charlottetown airport waiting to board my flight.  Barring any last minute hiccups I will be in Edmonton in 7-8 hrs.  

Let’s go!

At the Ottawa airport doing the same thing.  Got the green light from the boss to stick around through next Wednesday now.  Pretty excited!!

Arent you guys cutting it close by departing today?   I am surprised. Personally, when i plan things like this i make sure that i depart and arrive the day before the event or else i dont bother going.  You never know about flight delays and a whole host of other unforseen events.  Such as unfamilarity with the place you are going to.   You could end up scambling around trying to find things and places resulting in showing up late to the game or maybe even missing the game.  

also, when (if) you make it to the stadium, you will be there after having spend whole day traveling.

Edited by Free kick