WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

30 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Our national team has chartered to every game in WCQ thus far.

Are you certain that ALL of our away games have been chartered?  I dont know.  And, how do you know this?  Beacsue we all heard the travel horror stories from players in the past who had to get to Carribean locales.    We were not chartering in the past.  Maybe now they struck a deal with an entity in canada like MLSE.  I dont know.  I know many CFL teams cant afford to charter and the specific rules in the MLS to not allow teams to charter so as to level the competive playing field.  Though, there are hints that these rules were loosened in recent years.  Cause we know MLSE chartered TFC to its CCL games in Mexico.

So  i stand by what i said,  do not assume that everyone can afford chratering flights for its players.   Its very very expensive.   

PS.:  in the nhl, nba, mlb and nfa this is a collectively bargained item.

Edited by Free kick

30 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Chartering is not something that every organization can afford.  True,  it’s a basic given for any professional sports teams in hockey,  bbl, bskbll, football.  

But national football/soccer associations are not large and well endowed entities.  They are basically: Not for profit organizations. They are not at all on the operating level of NA pro teams or some top flight clubs in Europe.  They  have limited resources, staff and there is only so much revenues they can get.   

chartering is expensive and should not be assumed or taken for granted.   I don’t think our national teams uses charters.  Except maybe on rare occasions.  

I believe they did charter from Houston to Edmonton. They flew commercial from San Jose to Houston. 

I don't know why they didn't charter from San Jose to Edmonton. 

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Are you certain that ALL of our away games have been chartered?  I dont know.  And, how do you know this?  Beacsue we all heard the travel horror stories from players in the past who had to get to Carribean locales.    We were not chartering in the past.  Maybe now they struck a deal with an entity in canada like MLSE.  I dont know.  I know many CFL teams cant afford to charter and the specific rules in the MLS to not allow teams to charter so as to level the competive playing field.  Though, so have these rules were loosened.

So  i stand by what i said,  do not assume that everyone can afford chratering flights for its players.   Its very very expensive.   

They have been. You can look up the flight codes. 

Just now, JamboAl said:

Nah…not the right place nor time.  He was with Jason Devos & Mauro Biello as well and I had to get some work done over breakfast.

Ohhhhhh, u missed your shot.  Could have had a little coaching clinic right there over scrambled eggs.  After the wining goal against CR is scored off a corner, Herdman will say he came up with the idea at a breakfast meeting.  HEHEHE!!  

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Chartering is not something that every organization can afford.  True,  it’s a basic given for any professional sports teams in hockey,  bbl, bskbll, football.  

Costa Rica did charter. From Houston. Why Houston? One media report implied that a 7.5 hour flight - with a (small) risk of being diverted due to low fuel - might be too long so close to the match, that it might be better to break up the trip. Only the Ticos can answer why they travelled via Houston, but they did charter to Edmonton from there.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

From Twitter, looks like Larin has a stomach bug and is a game time decision tomorrow (although Herdman thinks he should be on the team sheet).  Doesn’t sound like he’s starting.

Pick your poison. Get the Lax and move it on out or get the pink stuff and contain it! Either way we need he available for selection! Lol.