WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

Ignore my previous post. Fuller played LB against Jamaica in the Gold Cup and did well.

—————Ortiz—————

Venegas—Ruiz—-Campbell

——-Tejada——-Borges———

Fuller - Calvo - Duarte - Blanco

—————Moreira—————-

Could see Alan Cruz or Leal in there but I doubt it. They seem to be going ride or die with the old boys.

Edited by footballfreak

Approx. 11-hour travel time for the Ticos. 💗

https://www.fedefutbol.com/2021/11/10/la-sele-viaja-a-canada-con-mucha-ilusion-y-responsabilidad/?fbclid=IwAR1DQ-HfUudsB9bM3NOy5uay0HlfUcuzOfaT32xe42zHLLVYkth_ga_lpkI

Google Translate:

La Sele travels to Canada with great enthusiasm and responsibility

Posted by Gustavo Jiménez | Nov 10, 2021

Share:       

The Tricolor closed its preparation on Costa Rican soil this Wednesday morning with a training session at the Fedef Fútbol-Plycem Sports Complex.

The group received the good news that the entire squad will be able to travel to Canada ( except for Rónald Matarrita's absence due to injury ), after the Costa Rican Football Federation managed to manage the visas that were necessary at the last minute on time.

The delegation will travel to the city of Edmonton starting at 2 pm, first on a commercial flight to Houston and then on a charter flight to the match headquarters. It is a long journey that will end with the arrival at the Canadian airport at 1 am on Thursday, when freezing temperatures await.

These are statements made by the players during the media attention on Wednesday.

Celso Borges
We take all the precautions to face the conditions of the long trip and arrive as fresh as possible. Canada comes from a long process with their coach, we must be focused on what is ours to counteract what they try to do and wait for our opportunity to take the game with us. We must be well structured behind and from there generate our football.

Kendall Waston
We want to achieve all three regardless of any circumstance like the weather. We are aware of what we are at stake, we are psyched and focused that together everything is going to be better. Those three points would be a great emotional boost to get up, because when we are all united, including the fans, we achieve important things.

José Guillermo Ortiz We
took advantage of the opportunity that was opened with the microcycle that those of us here did. From day one we have worked on what we want to do in Canada and that helps us a lot.
The Covid gave me a little strong, but I already feel good, I have worked a lot in my club and now I just wait for the opportunity to give my best; This is the National Team and everyone wants to be here.

1 hour ago, kobasew19 said:

Anybody know which hotel they're staying at? Hopefully one of you guys will pull the fire alarm at 3am....

Hearing they might be staying at the JW Marriott. Unfortunately that’s also where our boys are staying. 

It would be a shame if someone called the front desk en Español and cancelled their booking. 

56 minutes ago, chalms04 said:

Hearing they might be staying at the JW Marriott. Unfortunately that’s also where our boys are staying. 

It would be a shame if someone called the front desk en Español and cancelled their booking. 

I’ll be at the JW Marriott.  Will have a quick word with the front desk.  😊

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Costa Rica fans are still pissed that game was even played

It's basically their Atiba was onside 

It probably should have been called. The problem was that the US had scored early, and then to try to come back in those conditions was even harder. The weather clearly favoured them and CR could perfectly well have said we won't play if the ball doesn't bounce.

Which is why we have to be careful, if it becomes nasty weatherwise we'll want to be ahead, not behind. 

And Herdman seems to have us coming from behind most of the time. That's playing with fire, or sub-zero steel, either way you'll get burnt.

$ coming in deep on Canada now (rightfully so), line as low as 1.5-1 on some sites. 

My buddy has VIP service to Smartodds (Brentford owner) techinacally "old company". 

Without compromising copyright let's just it's not just amateur $ being placed on Canada to win. 

Let's get it done lads! More and more analysis and home X factors putting us as favorites to earn 3 points. 

TSN video on the impact of Edmonton's weather. They make it out to be scary.

https://www.tsn.ca/Soccer/video/the-edmonton-advantage~2318965

Counterview is from Sandor's article:

Costa Rican players told their federation’s official website that they don’t expect the weather to be too much of a challenge. Defender Francisco Calvo, who currently plays for MLS side Chicago Fire, and previously played for Minnesota United, said that cold weather will “not be a surprise” to him. Defender Johan Venegas has also played in Minnesota and with the Montreal Impact (now CF Montreal).

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canada-not-worried-getting-behind-221353809.html

37 minutes ago, red card said:

TSN video on the impact of Edmonton's weather. They make it out to be scary.

https://www.tsn.ca/Soccer/video/the-edmonton-advantage~2318965

Counterview is from Sandor's article:

Costa Rican players told their federation’s official website that they don’t expect the weather to be too much of a challenge. Defender Francisco Calvo, who currently plays for MLS side Chicago Fire, and previously played for Minnesota United, said that cold weather will “not be a surprise” to him. Defender Johan Venegas has also played in Minnesota and with the Montreal Impact (now CF Montreal).

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canada-not-worried-getting-behind-221353809.html

forecasts are calling for ~1 during game time, which is just fine. we pumped costa rica in dallas in july so i'm good playing them anywhere in any weather. as long as the pitch isn't frozen we're good.

looking forward to seeing the 50,000+ fans getting fired up!

12 hours ago, king1010 said:

Arrive Edmonton From Houston

1:10 AM WS9507
Houston (IAH)
WestJet B738 (C-GWSA)

Scheduled

Thanks to the Voyageur who had their flight routed towards St. Louis before the pilots learned they were flying to Edmonton, not Toronto. 1:45 AM scheduled arrival; they'll be lucky to be in their hotel by 3 AM, the day before the game. No wonder Navas stayed home instead....

image.png.e05268d0987455f3a33ef05db280aea6.png

12 minutes ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Thanks to the Voyageur who had their flight routed towards St. Louis before the pilots learned they were flying to Edmonton, not Toronto. 1:45 AM scheduled arrival; they'll be lucky to be in their hotel by 3 AM, the day before the game. No wonder Navas stayed home instead....

image.png.e05268d0987455f3a33ef05db280aea6.png

And from a tropical weather...nice.

nHousto.JPG

Mighty kind of the Ukraine to fly in an indoor training ground for the Ticos. It arrives just before the team does. Maybe the team will sleep in it tonight:

image.jpeg.998f9ccb174d8a6ecc4a36876bfbcf75.jpeg

Unfortunately the indoor stadium version of this plane is no longer in service, or we could have played the game under the (aero)dome.

For those flying in tomorrow, it's worth taking 2 minutes to check out the plane esp. if it's unloading. Although if it's in its usual spot on the south tarmac you'll need to do it from the window of your Uber as you leave the airport.

The outcome of the Costa rica match may well determine if the mexico match becomes a good game or a snooze fest.  

Was just listening to the latest podcast of extratime radio and Matt doyle made a good point that got me thinking. We have not yet (or seldom ever) had to play as the favourite.  Therefore, can we adapt to playing a game where a side like Mexico regards us as the favourite? when is the last time we ever had to face a top 10 concacaf side who ever had to park the bus against us?   2001 maybe? 

Hence , if we win and continue our current good form against Costa Rica,  Mexico might start to think that an away draw against canada is a perfectly suitable outcome, moreso if they get a decent result in Cincinnatti.  And, Herdman and team might think the same (ie.; four out of six points will do the trick).  This is the perfect recipe for the occurance of those 0-0 snoozefests that you occasionally see in int’l soccer. 

Edited by Free kick