WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

23 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  By far.  There wasn’t an hexagonal or octagonal for 86.  As far as i recall.  And mexico, as host, was guaranteed a spot.  We only made the hex once; in WCQ98. 

Our Performance in the hex for WCQ 98 was terrible. I recall it very well.  First two games were at Azteca and Palo alto, and i knew after two games that wasnt going to happen.   The main reason we made it to hex that cycle was because of the unbelievebly mickey mouse group we had drawn in the previous round.   I still maintain that we had better teams 2000-2012 era than that WCQ team from 98 that made it to the hex. 

Edit.:  forgot about that playoff versus Australia.  

Thanks Footballfreak and Free Kick, great information of our attempts to qualify.  We seem to be on a roll this time with all new players.  I see a totally different team on how we play.  I wonder if this a result of better players or just better coach.  Whatever the reason, I like it!

At least three morons going by this video (not counting the people in the crowd congratulating the guy who temporarily stole the corner flag):

The security guard who couldn't even catch the guy who stole the flag might want to consider another profession, such as data entry, where he doesn't have to move much.

Edited by Gian-Luca

On 11/12/2021 at 11:25 PM, footballfreak said:

This is gonna hurt me to type this, but should the USA game be at BMO? BC Place is nowhere near as bad as Commonwealth, but it’s yet another new venue to get used to. A lot of home advantage comes from familiarity.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:52 PM, SpursFlu said:

No it was James Sharman. He said the CSA probably won't want to hear it but playing on that surface was a mistake. I'm saying, no comment. Lets just keep it moving 

Could BMO actually work in January ?

Just now, king1010 said:

It is. They had to have that done for the winter classic after its original build was not winterized. 

going to have the grow lights on all winter in order to have some grass on the field in JAN.. but I would be there no matter the temp 

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

BC Place is getting a new surface in December.  I would argue that it would be a whole lot better than a grass field that has never had a soccer game played on it in January, regardless of undersoil heating.  This coaching staff isn't going take the higher risk of pitch uncertainty in this situation.  

Considering we just played on that awful surface in Edmonton I wouldn't be so sure.

Besides I wonder if BC Place can guarantee there won't be delays on the new turf installation.?

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Considering we just played on that awful surface in Edmonton I wouldn't be so sure.

Besides I wonder if BC Place can guarantee there won't be delays on the new turf installation.?

I would never say never but I would be very surprised if it wasn't Vancouver.  But you never know, right?

On 11/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Lots of American pundit feedback in this video about Canada in the first five and last three minutes of this video, for those interested.

Starting at 24:48 in the video pretty much sums up how professional soccer players feel about playing on turf 😂

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

At least three morons going by this video (not counting the people in the crowd congratulating the guy who temporarily stole the corner flag):

I don't know if this has been discussed but those morons could have screwed us up in closing out the game.  The clock was running down we were in control and then the flight of the idiots and the ref had to add more time.  That could have backfired.