WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Oh he was brutal!  Worst stadium announcer I've heard in a very long time.  No enthusiasm, poor pronunciation and without the graphics on the screen, would have no idea of the starting XI.

I was so disappointed. 

Did you hear at the end of the game he was like “Canada 1 - Mexico 0.”

This guy was on something or just completely not prepared. I hope there’s somebody new for tTue

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I was so disappointed. 

Did you hear at the end of the game he was like “Canada 1 - Mexico 0.”

This guy was on something or just completely not prepared. I hope there’s somebody new for tTue

Maybe he's a die hard CFL/hockey hoser who was maf he had to announce a game of sissy ball?

39 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Hard-hitting, timely, and crucial analysis from our public broadcaster.

Speaking of hard hitting, I think the academic was the one caught streaking in this video before being taken down (though sadly not by Garret Kusch this time):

https://twitter.com/vernfern29/status/1459407230697041927?s=20

14 hours ago, RS said:

There’s a full Olympic-sized track surrounding the field. It’s currently covered by a green carpet that matches the colour of the field, but (as far as I know) it’s literally just laid on top of the track without any kind of padding underneath. 

While everything you said is correct, there was room (barely) to widen to 75 yds. There are full-size sidelines that have 5m of original turf on each side, and (I think) a tiny bit of room before the carpet-covered former track (now asphalt/concrete) area. IIRC the original width was 80 yds, but that may have shrunk very slightly when adding Lane 9 for 2001 Worlds.

My understanding is that the sidelines are totally unmaintained, have been for years, have been covered by carpet and had benches dragged across them, and therefore I imagine they are unsuitable at this point. Even 69 yds is kinda impressive. I'll take a closer look Tuesday. Something maybe could be done for a 2022 friendly?

If CSA wants to share some of the $14,000,000 to put in new turf in Edmonton, feel free. Neither the City (owner) nor the Elks (primary tenant) has any money to do so prior to the next Grey Cup, and the LOC for WC2026 has committed to grass...which I (and others) assume will be temp grass for 2026 only. Complicates Grey Cup hosting - won't be 2025 w/o a new field after the '18 fiasco, probably won't be '26 on grass. FWIW: The turf is well within its 8-10 year lifespan, at 6.5 years old w/ fewer than 100 competitions or concerts.

Edited by CanadianTraveller
Updated friendly date

1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

CBC drops in an academic to criticize the diversity of soccer clubs in Canada... in the middle of a highlights pack. 

Well whoever that was, he is a university professor, which means chances are he probably leans heavily to the side of the political spectrum which is devoid of any facts.

Suspirando GIF by TVE Bahia

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Well whoever that was, he is a university professor, which means chances are he probably leans heavily to the side of the political spectrum which is devoid of any facts.

Suspirando GIF by TVE Bahia

Wow, that pretty much sums up the primary crisis of our species' present moment. Unless you're being ironic. If so: huzzah!

46 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

No thanks, I hear enough people saying Canader, don't need any more.

The random 'r' at the end of words bothers me so much.  I remember Max Rushden on Guardian FW was smugly making fun of people for pronouncing Copa America without the random r. 

"It's not the Copa America, it's the Copper America" 🤡

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

We have a tough sched going forward, but I also think a win on Tuesday punches our ticket. 

Music to our ears. We all believe we can nick a goal.  In tough conditions it just takes a break to go into Christmas in second