WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

Until their keeper dropped the ball (literally and figuratively), I just felt it was going to grind out into a scoreless draw.  The Ticos certainly rode some luck (Calvo clearance off their own crossbar, Buchanon improv off said crossbar) but did what they could do to stifle things, so I give them props forvtheircoverall game plan.  The only times things were uncomfortable in the stages prior to the winner were the low free kicks bent around a high line set up:  we looked unconvincing there.  Apart from that, they weren't scaring us in any individual match up.

Millar is probably better as a change of pace sub.  Apart from the golazo attempt, I thought Buchanon was up and down.    I thought Laryea's early yellow was needless and might have made him more of a target for goading into a second, but fortunately that didn't happen.  As chronicled already, Davies was trying to do too much and almost got us burned on one play in particular.

Great work by the fans!  Mexico is up next (with Tata's job on the line????) and we have the advantage of being more used to the pitch.  It's going to be a rockin' Tuesday night!

35 minutes ago, urdiub said:

Wanted to add one thing, I was kind of shocked that the only steps to get through the gates were vax pass and ticket scanning. No metal detectors like at BMO or even empty out your pocket checks. Definitely made the process quicker but I felt sketched out a bit. 

The last game at BMO my friend and I both had a bag and they didn't look inside or even ask us to bring it through the metal detector. Put the bag on the table with our wallets and phones and no check at all 

Just now, JuicyHam said:

The last game at BMO my friend and I both had a bag and they didn't look inside or even ask us to bring it through the metal detector. Put the bag on the table with our wallets and phones and no check at all 

Fair enough. I never brings bags with me to BMO so I’m not sure about that, but they get you to empty your pockets and hold any metal above your head so that when it scans it only shows that you have metal above your head, then you just show what you were holding onto. If it flashes something around the pocket area they'll double check.

But with no checks I can definitely save some money on alcohol for the next game haha

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Plus they get stale...you want a nice warm fresh bag.  I want to see the steam when it hits Ochoa in the face.  

Which “pops” better, Ziploc or store brand? 😂

Also good thing this is happening for the second game because the plastic pitch isn’t absorbent. Poor keepers otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Beyond horrible. The lineup announcement was a disaster.

Yeah, definitely the first time the announcer had tackled some of those names - cue the awkward pauses between some names. Also pretty sure Phonzie was announced twice in our starting XI, once in place of Buchanan. 🥴

Got back home around 1 and managed to fall asleep around 4 am. So worth it!

Thought it was a pretty sloppy game overall by Canada, largely hurt by that terrible playing surface. Adekugbe was unreal last night, I cannot believe how much he has improved over the years. Buchanan's bike off the crossbar was completely unreal and would have had the crowd doing limbs for days. Davies tried to do too much all game, frequently trying to take on 3 defenders leaving others in the midfield out to dry. The goal was just a goalmouth scramble, and I wasn't sure why the second goal was called off but the win is all the matters, so job done.

Huge crowd in Edmonton but the atmosphere was a little weird in the V's sections. I was 17 rows up so I couldn't hear the capo or songs too much. Tried to join in as much as I could but often it was less awkward just to hang out and watch the game. Not sure how it came across on TV. Was good to catch up with people from Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, etc. Tonnes of Cavalry swag in the crowd too.

Things got sloppy closer to the end of the game given that it was a Friday night in Edmonton and there were a couple small dust ups, but overall I think it was a good crowd. The pitch invasions were really on security, can't believe after the first one security didn't clue in to what was going on and try to stop copycats.

Heard Rocky Mountain Icehouse was jammed with V's after the game. Sounded like a great afterparty.

FEB8QiVVEAAmoe0?format=jpg&name=medium

FEC_BkIXwAMyMXa?format=jpg&name=medium

FEDAE8lXwAMqtZG?format=jpg&name=medium

Not sure if this has been posted, contains a few familiar faces to this forum (and one unexpected one - had no idea that Alejandro Pozuelo was one of the Voyageurs but that appears to be him on the right side of the screen in the blue jacket at 1:45 oft the video. 😉

Edited by Gian-Luca

39 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Got back home around 1 and managed to fall asleep around 4 am. So worth it!

Thought it was a pretty sloppy game overall by Canada, largely hurt by that terrible playing surface. Adekugbe was unreal last night, I cannot believe how much he has improved over the years. Buchanan's bike off the crossbar was completely unreal and would have had the crowd doing limbs for days. Davies tried to do too much all game, frequently trying to take on 3 defenders leaving others in the midfield out to dry. The goal was just a goalmouth scramble, and I wasn't sure why the second goal was called off but the win is all the matters, so job done.

Huge crowd in Edmonton but the atmosphere was a little weird in the V's sections. I was 17 rows up so I couldn't hear the capo or songs too much. Tried to join in as much as I could but often it was less awkward just to hang out and watch the game. Not sure how it came across on TV. Was good to catch up with people from Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, etc. Tonnes of Cavalry swag in the crowd too.

Things got sloppy closer to the end of the game given that it was a Friday night in Edmonton and there were a couple small dust ups, but overall I think it was a good crowd. The pitch invasions were really on security, can't believe after the first one security didn't clue in to what was going on and try to stop copycats.

Heard Rocky Mountain Icehouse was jammed with V's after the game. Sounded like a great afterparty.

FEB8QiVVEAAmoe0?format=jpg&name=medium

FEC_BkIXwAMyMXa?format=jpg&name=medium

FEDAE8lXwAMqtZG?format=jpg&name=medium

How is a pitch invasion on security? The pitch is for players, the stands are for fans. It's kinda simple really 

13 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure if this has been posted, contains a few familiar faces to this forum (and one unexpected one - had no idea that Alejandro Pozuelo was one of the Voyageurs but that appears to be him on the right side of the screen in the blue jacket at 1:45 oft the video. 😉

CBC drops in an academic to criticize the diversity of soccer clubs in Canada... in the middle of a highlights pack. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Don’t know if this was mentioned already, but was the stadium announcer hired right before the game with no briefing…he was horrible. 

He was the least enthusiastic stadium announcer I’ve ever heard. 

To be fair to him, I was only watching on TV and may have missed some of his “better” announcements.

5 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

CBC drops in an academic to criticize the diversity of soccer clubs in Canada... in the middle of a highlights pack. 

I hadn’t even noticed that as I tuned out by that point….obviously there is a diversity problem with our men’s team, not enough ethnic minorities or women on it for starters!

11 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Right.... and as our team is one of the most diverse in all of CONCACAF, if not the world....

Honestly would have been more positive to spin it as because of the diversity... Why the success so far, just saying. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Don’t know if this was mentioned already, but was the stadium announcer hired right before the game with no briefing…he was horrible. 

Oh he was brutal!  Worst stadium announcer I've heard in a very long time.  No enthusiasm, poor pronunciation and without the graphics on the screen, would have no idea of the starting XI.