WCQ: Canada vs Costa Rica - Friday, Nov 12, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - Edmonton

9 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Not a fan of the surface or the width. And, yet, Mexico will want the ball on the ground, will want a lot of possession, and will not enjoy the cold. Our real advantage Tuesday--along with the amazing crowd--will be that we've had a lot more experience playing on this crappy turf and will be able to adapt more readily. It is going to be another scrappy battle.

This^ , cold ball with ball often getting "stuck" on the turf, even more so on that turf. You really have to put weight on it at times, especially in the cold. 

We could really capitilize on some Mexican giveaways. 

Watching the game last night, I felt nervous on almost every back pass to the keeper and that's with training on it for a week. 

8 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Tuesday, I want Davies on the left wing, Tajon on the right, Oso, Eustaquio and one of Hutch/Kaye in the middle. Back three of Miller, Vittoria, Johnston, and Larin and David up front.  

Off the bench, Ugbo for Larin or David. Millar for Tajon or Davies. One of Hutch/Kaye for Hutch/Kaye. Laryea and Sam where needed.

This set up bungs up the midfield, gives us lots of cover coming back, and plenty of fire power on the counter.  And, it will allow Davies to do what he's great at, but not overdo it.

This this this. I’m glad we squeezed out 3 points last night but I’m going to be VERY disappointed if I don’t see us revert back to a 3-5-2 for the Mexico game. When we dominate possession through our midfield we are almost impossible to break down even against the best in this region. I hope (and think) Herdman realizes this.

Side note: I love Phonzy but he was probably our worst player last night. He pretty much tried to do way to much every single time he got the ball. He needs to receive the ball in wide positions at full speed to be effective, when he gets the ball in a centralized position in traffic he almost gets tunnel vision. 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's what I heard. I did not get a sense of constant chanting, more selective. Some shots of the VS we saw what we saw in other sections. The broadcast mentioned the Voyageurs a few times, but I'd agree that at TO the crowd noise overall came through better. 

I'd like to see One Soccer do better, miking us better, as there's going to be Mexican support audible next match. And we need to have it matched. 

One Soccer needs to do a lot better in terms of Audio that was not good that was amateur hour , with so many people watching they have to do better .

Edited by SoccMan

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

One Soccer needs to do a lot better in terms of Audio that was not good that was amateur hour , with so many people watching they have to do better .

Do One Soccer actually produce this or do they take a Concacaf feed?

3 minutes ago, RS said:

As host broadcaster, MediaPro produces all Canada home games and provides a "clean" feed for the rest of the world to pick up.

Thanks for that, I figured you would know! So does the clean feed include and field mic mix that host broadcasters can mix to their preference because if that is the case OneSoccer needs to bring down Wheeler and Dunfield and increase the V's levels!

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Thanks for that, I figured you would know! So does the clean feed include and field mic mix that host broadcasters can mix to their preference because if that is the case OneSoccer needs to bring down Wheeler and Dunfield and increase the V's levels!

I'm not actually a TV person but having worked alongside a bunch of them over the years I've picked up a little bit of info on how it works.

Basically the audio mix for the crowd is done by the host broadcaster, since it's their mics and equipment on the ground, but anyone rebroadcasting it can turn that up or down if they want to. What an outside broadcaster cannot do is target specific field mics to boost or lower, that comes from the host.

I'll be interested to hear Herdman's take on this window. I find him a lot more transparent than the car salesmen some see him as.

I suspect he put the Costa Rica 3 pts in the bank before the window (which is fair because without them our chances start to look bleak at finishing top 3). So the $$$ from ticket sales, the thank you to the Chuck for 2026, and Davies home coming are all bonus last night.

But this is really about Mexico I think. We are lying in wait like the nasty little Wolverines we are. You can say Mexico is still Mexico but how do they prepare for this? They have no experience on cold + plastic pitch + no fans. And the pressure is on.

I think you'll see a lot of wing play on th counter on Tuesday and it will make everyone very happy.

8 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Davies trying to dribble through 3 players half way between the 18 yard box and the halfway line had me concerned last night.  If he coughs it up we could have 4 or 5 other players all moving in the wrong direction as Costa Rica counters.

This is why I think JH sets us up differently vs Mexico and has Davies back on the wing where in my opinion he is most effective, he was charged to do too much last night and it really didn't come off!

21 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not actually a TV person but having worked alongside a bunch of them over the years I've picked up a little bit of info on how it works.

Basically the audio mix for the crowd is done by the host broadcaster, since it's their mics and equipment on the ground, but anyone rebroadcasting it can turn that up or down if they want to. What an outside broadcaster cannot do is target specific field mics to boost or lower, that comes from the host.

I wonder how much Sportsnet carrying the match had to do with the audio mix presented to us, hot pitch side mics pick up spicey language on the pitch and I know we get lots of that on CPL broadcasts but SN might have different standards being more of a mainstream broadcaster?

Wanted to add one thing, I was kind of shocked that the only steps to get through the gates were vax pass and ticket scanning. No metal detectors like at BMO or even empty out your pocket checks. Definitely made the process quicker but I felt sketched out a bit. 

6 minutes ago, urdiub said:

Wanted to add one thing, I was kind of shocked that the only steps to get through the gates were vax pass and ticket scanning. No metal detectors like at BMO or even empty out your pocket checks. Definitely made the process quicker but I felt sketched out a bit. 

I feel that you are overestimating the usefulness of the BMO metal detection process. 

6 minutes ago, urdiub said:

Not enough idiots to ruin it for everyone yet.